1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heypartner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Since75, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Since75

Since75 Member

I'm going to ask this question again about the Rockets trapping the guards in the half court game. Why isn't it happening and why is it that Malone and Stockton can trap Moochie on one particular play and the Rockets can't trap one freaking time with all the young long players we have? I'm getting more and more frustrated with Rudy's apparent refusal to incorporate a up tempo defense when almost every other team just takes our guard play away from us when they want to. I want to see the Rockets do it back. Plain and simple. Please explain and don't say it's just Rudy's way. I can't believe you believe that this the current scheme is sound.

------------------

2. Steve_Francis_rules

I know i'm not the one you wanted an answer from, but it may have something to do with our lack of interior defense. You can't trap teams if it will only open up opportunities for easy layups, especially with a guy like stockton on the floor.

------------------

3. Since75

Since75 Member

Steve Francis Rules, I appreciate the response. I understand what you're saying in theory, however, other teams do it to us all the time and we don't make layups every time. I simply want to see it to disrupt an offense especially one that is dominated by good guards like Steve is for us and Stockton is for the Jazz. Other teams recognize that everything starts and ends with the guards for us and they take that away. We simply are not versatile enough in our offensive and defensive schemes which is frustrating for me. WE Have the athletes to trap and pressure people like other teams. It needs to be done sometimes in a game to generate a turnover or two.

------------------

4. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Actually, when Cato was healthy we were allowed to trap more, especially in the fourth quarter, not only would Cato trap himself occassionally, but he was like a backstop in a sense for a failed or broken down trap, which happens quite often, but having Cato at the free-throw line allowed teh other players to risk it. Now, of late, Bullard has been playing in the fourth, and he would be the odd man out, the backstop, and thats too risky because support defense from him would be non-existent.

------------------

5. Since75

Since75 Member

If the logic here is a shot blocker, what about when Dream was in the lineup? We didn't trap then either. Let's face it, every team does not have a shot blocker, but they still will trap to take the ball out of the guard's hands in the half court game. There is absolutely no reason the Rockets can't do the same.

------------------

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

This thread doesn't seem to be about heypartner at all.

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

......cuts like a knife.

Mango

------------------
    Lets get the Mo Go working!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

8. Steve_Francis_rules

Another thing is that the rocket's guards are young and frequently commit turnovers, so traps against them are successful. Guys like stockton have been around a long time and are less likely to make mistakes in that situation.

------------------

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Since75,

Just saw this thread. You are right. Why not try it? Can't hurt. But, like Steve_Francis_Rules says, I don't think trapping Utah will be successful.

Since75, understand I don't really like to speculate or backseat coach. I really approach being a bball fanatic from more of a scouting enthusiast. I am only interested in what happens and why, not what I think should happen.

That said, I haven't heard Rudy say anything other than he will use Cato as the point man on the halfcourt trap, like he did Garnett in the olympics. And since he apparently won't use the trap without Cato, there is no way for us to even see it and analyze it. For me to answer your question would be pretty speculative, don't you think? So, I'm left repeating what I've said before. The trapping we see against us is proven to disrupt us The Rockets. But, we are seeing signs of it failing. And this doesn't mean we must try to emulate that.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 07, 2001).]

10. Since75

Since75 Member

Steve Francis and HeyP, I understand your points, but what's wrong with Carlos playing the role of Cato? He's long and athletic. It just seems that Rudy is being bull headed as he has been in the past. Frankly I'm very annoyed with many of his decisions which is just the nature of being a fan I guess.

------------------