1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Herman Cain's 999 Economic Expert is "Investment Advisor" with BS in Accounting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/th...+The+Beltway+|+OTB)&utm_content=Google+Reader
    Herman Cain, A Serious Human Being According to Republicans.

I was going to guess that his Middle East expert is probably some Arab guy running a halal food truck. Then I remembered he don't work with no Muslims.

#1 Carl Herrera, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

In before the Basso or Tallan post.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So the question is how fast will Cain's poll numbers fall and where will they go. I figured he would be exposed quickly, but at least his books sales got a bump for a few days.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wow. That is laughable lol.

Even better is that Cain talked about him twice last night, the first saying he was from Cleveland, OH, the next saying he was from Cleveland, TX.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and the problem is...?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D89VFP-BBas?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The problem with the Teabaggers is the "**** is Easy" syndrome: Where everyone thinks they don't need no expertise in order to do anything and all they need is "common sense."

Thus, random "investment advisor" can be your economic expert, Joe the Plumber can be your congressman, and DaDakota is qualified to run the front office of the Houston Rockets.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What is his position with WellsFargo? I think it's premature to call him unqualified based on his academic credentials.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

you try getting a biology PHD to run your physics lab, tell me how that ends

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

"Investment Advisor".

basically---let me smile and steal your 1.5% fee for knowing what mutual funds are more equity based, and which one are more bonds based.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Michelle Bachmann called the 999 plan the 666 plan which was funny.

Huntsman dropped the "I thought it was the price of a pizza!" line which was funny.

Herman sure rolls with the punches though. Likeable guy. Glad to see him in the debates. If Romney had Cain's charm and ability to connect, Obama would forfeit.

11. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

[​IMG]

Can't believe everyone let her get away with saying that.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I found his LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rich-lowrie/a/74b/805

He says his title is Managing Director - Investments. The blurb describing his experience there says:

13. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dems should not attack Cain. Focus all their energy on Romney.

Cain is unelectable.

That said, I think it's better for the country for Romney to win the election - he is the better candidate and would force a better national dialogue. Having Romney and Obama debate would actually be interesting to watch for substance versus entertainment.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

But see everyone knows the only reason Obama was elected is because he is black. So, by putting Cain in the running clearly Obama has no edge anymore, at least that's what the republicans have been telling me...

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

How does the revenue make up for payroll taxes and regular income tax, even without the tax loopholes?

The payroll taxes is 15.3% (7.65% employer, 7.65% employee). In his plan, an employee would pay 18% tax(9% sales, 9% income). Even though the 18% has no cap, I don't see how he would have enough for other items after accounting for Social Security and Medicare for the boomers.

The 9% company tax is on total revenue and not net profits. It hurts labor intensive industries with slim profit margins such as oil and gas exploration companies. It would cause the price of gas to skyrocket, since they are no longer able to write off employee and equipment expenditures.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't get it. Are you trying to say accountants can't deal in economics? This guy does not appear to be a CPA, or even an accountant, but seems like a CPA would be perfect for understanding the tax code, and balancing the budget.

So what if I'm biased towards my profession?

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

There was an exchange in the most recent debate where Cain was asked to name the experts he's been working with to craft his 9-9-9 plan, and he balked for a moment before naming one (and only one) of them. Probably because there aren't any others.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

we really should be taking the advice of experts like Larry Summers and Tim Geithner and Christina Romer