1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Herman Cain is the new Rick Perry is the new Michelle Bachmann

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/64343.html

Cain wins the FL straw poll after Tea Party members and conservative pundits/bloggers abandon him after the weak debate performances. This after Perry took the lead by entering into a weak field in which Michelle Bachmann won an IA straw poll.

Interesting from a horse-race point of view how fast things are changing.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What has changed? Romney has always been the front runner until Perry stepped in and briefly swayed the hard core conservatives. Now they are going back to who they supported before. Unless Perry really turns things around, Romney will take the nomination. And rest assure Romney will pull more independent voters than Perry will.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Perry was still ahead of Romney. Romney finished 3rd behind Perry and Cain.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

After the debate, my wife said (and I agree) that if the GOP wanted a landslide victory, they would nominate Gary Johnson. Both she (about as liberal as Deckard) and I would vote for him over Obama.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Straw polls are just good ways to raise money. They mean zilch in terms of actual projections.

Most of these straw polls are the single largest fundraiser for the respective state party that runs it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

What have the Republican debates and straw polls shown us thus far?

That they mean absolutely nothing.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Reagan, Bush 41, Dole all won the Fla straw poll, and they haven't had it since then until yesterday.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.insider.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=1178586627001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.insider.foxnews.com">video.insider.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

8. BetterThanEver

I watched the video and I would hate a 9% national sales tax.

A 9% national sales tax would be a 17.25% total sales tax in Houston. Gas would be too expensive, Food would be too expensive, clothes would be too expensive. Consumer demand and retail sales would drop by at least 9%. Stores would have to layoff more people to make up for lower demand.

Gas would be back to $4 in most states with a current 9% sales tax in addition to the current gas taxes.

#8 BetterThanEver, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  9. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

But I think he's planning to offset that with the 9% federal income tax - which would allow us to keep a LOT more of our income...

10. Commodore

All taxes negatively impact the economy. Sales taxes discourage consumption, income taxes discourage productivity, wealth taxes discourage savings and investment.

http://www.hermancain.com/999plan

The 9-9-9 plan eliminates all other federal taxes, including gas and payroll taxes. You are going to be taking home alot more of your paycheck.

It also scraps the current tax code entirely with all of its loopholes. So you don't have UPS paying billions in taxes and GE paying 0. Broaden the base and lower the rates, that helps all the small businesses that don't have loopholes in the code put in for them. It also eliminates taxes on capital gains, which encourages investment (i.e. hiring capital).

Eventually Cain would move to a Fair Tax model, which is imo the way to go. It refunds everyone for the cost of the tax up to the poverty level, so poor people paying more for necessities is not an issue (if you spend less than the poverty level you would actually increase your wealth with the Fair Tax).

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

When you order pizza, it delivers!

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

All a scheme to have Rich pay less and poor pay a lot MORE.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The poor wouldn't pay any taxes under the Fair Tax. Technically it's dependent on how much they spend instead of how much they make, but basically they wouldn't pay any.

14. BetterThanEver

I don't see how he can eliminate FICA taxes and still fund Social Security and Medicaid. If he is abolishing Ponzi schemes like Social Security and Medicaid, I would be happy.

It's all pie in the sky promises, even though the GOP majority Congress would be more friendly to him than Obama. I don't see Congress abolishing Social Security and Medicaid, when baby boomers are the biggest voting block.

15. Commodore

All taxes fund everything, it all goes into a general fund.

FICA taxes are not set aside for SS and Medicare.

16. BetterThanEver

FICA is a little over 7% now. With a flat 9% income tax and sales tax, how would he fund SS and Medicare. It's typical conservative ideology: tax cuts, deficits, and more bankruptcy. We are still recovering from Bush's bankrupt policies of tax cuts for the rich.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Stop using math and valid reasoning! This is Debate and Discussion section, not Logic & Reasoning section!

18. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I do not know much about the 9/9/9 plan or it's possible consequences, and I don't mean to offer a defense of it, and I suspect it wouldn't provide enough revenue. But I would say this:

If ALL corporations and ALL the wealthy had to pay %9 instead of the %0 they pay through creative accounting and loopholes written by their lobbyists, we would see a HUGE jump in revenue from that sector. HUGE.

This is conjecture on my part, but I believe that there are enough top-percentile corporations and individuals that are paying zero, that if they had to pay %9, we would see an overall increase from that bracket even though others were paying above %9.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/03/us_companies_pay_the_highest_t.html

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Michelle Bachman is crazy. She promised $2 per gallon gasoline if she were elected president. Why not throw in some free blowjobs as well? At least Perry has a heart.