1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Henry Hill died...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jun 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

...due to an overload of seeing "Goodfellas" on cable TV every day of the year for the last five years at least. Great movie. Nah...it was a heart attack. Dead at 69. But, we know where Henry Hill went and it's very hot down there. Thanks for inspiring the character and film, though. But, ultimately, you were just a trashy mobster who lived the life for a while killing and thieving...and then ratted out your fellow mobsters when you got busted. We won't miss you...because the movie character of you is so much better and that will live forever daily on our TV screens whenever we are tempted to watch (and it was such a good film that it is hard to turn off once it is turned on). lol

RIP

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

That dude was hilarious on H. Stern especially when the other mobster would call in.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Or when he called in so drunk he would only slur his sentences.

Top 3 movie ever.

#3 LonghornFan, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I've never been a huge mobster fan. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Godfather, Goodfellas, Sopranos, but in no way a fanatic. In fact, didn't watch all of Sopranos.

That being the case, maybe I'm missing something, but unless you were one of the ones specifically screwed by the snitch (and frankly, even then), why do people look down upon mobsters who rat out other mobsters?? I mean, who in their right mind, as a mobster, would say screw it, I'll go to jail for the rest of my life instead of ratting out these other guys? Would I take a one year fall for others? Sure, and expect to continue my mobster lifestyle afterwards. But when we're talking about one of these 30 - life year sentences, of course I'm being a rat. I'm not sure how that degrades my character additionally - I'm already looking at a huge sentence for being a really bad person.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

A rat is still a rat even though it may have different colors. But, yea, we would probably all take the deal. I may have said it in a way that made him look even more low...but that was the mobster in me speaking. He was a lowlife regardless and, as far as I know, he didn't really do anything to redeem himself after he got out of that life.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wait, so is a mobster different than a gangster?

So he's no G?

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Hill was not 100% Sicilian, so he was not able to be made into the mob.

He was a money making gangsta who happened to know a lot.

8. TheresTheDagger

I love how you describe where he probably is right now and then at the end say "RIP".

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Seriously? You have to ask? Its the same reason but on a smaller scale, why our Parents use to tell us that "nobody likes a tattle tale" or why guys dont like when their girls talking to her friends about their sex life or why celebs get pissed when they confide in someone and then hear it in the news the next morning.

It's a code of honor. Its loyalty. You know going into the game, that there is a chance you could die or goto jail for life. So if you are not willing to accept that trade off, then dont get into it. Organized crime worked so well because people wouldn't, or couldn't talk to the police. It definitely degrades the character of a "mobster". Now most of us would take a deal like that because, well we are not Mobsters. It's shows a a lot. If he's not willing to stick by his screw, what makes you think he will goto war for the crew? Hate to bring up a cliche but I wouldn't want go into a "foxhole" with a snitch. You know he's bailing once ish hits the fan.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

There is peace in hell. It's just a hot and miserable peace. ;)

11. conquistador#11

a lot greaseball stuff.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

The idea that a person who would rat out a fellow mobster is any less capable of a foxhole companion because of that quality is ridiculous. In reality, that person is a less capable foxhole companion to begin with. I wouldn't want to go into a foxhole with a mobster-criminal. By default, that person is already of HIGHLY questionable character.

This has nothing to do with snitching on your baby brother... that's a ridiculous comparison.

What I'm confused about is someone saying something equivalent to "he was a lowlife mobster who killed and stole.... and, oh btw he was a snitch". Um, yeah, the snitch part does not change my impression of the dude, except to note that he probably made a VERY smart personal decision.

13. dmenacela

dmenacela Member

takes one to know one

[​IMG]

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Ok, problem here is youre looking at it through the eyes of a normal person. So of course a mobster is not a stand up guy. He does illegal things and probably kills people. Not cool in the normal world. But in the Mobster world, there are respected guys and not so respected guys. The not so respected guys, are usually the snitches. Respect goes a long way in that world.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Great movie but in real life this guy was a piece of garbage just like all his mobster buddies. Good riddance.

I love a good mafia movie as much as anyone, but I also understand that the movies glorify it and in real life these guys are just a bunch of worthless dirtbags.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

of course. i completely understand why a fellow mobster hates a snitch. that's obvious.

I just also feel like there is this undercurrent of normal people, who are fans of the mobster genre, also feeling like a snitch is a level even below that of normal mobster. Which makes no sense. You're a normal person, not a mobster, look at it through normal person eyes.

17. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

I guess he gets to live the rest of his life like a schnook

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Kind of how pedophiles all respect each other except for the one that turns their kiddy p*rn over to the FBI. That guy, the one who turns over the kiddy p*rn, he's a real low life. Amirite?

19. rjh2002

rjh2002 Member

20. Nook

Nook Member

I am a normal person and do not like a snitch.