1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HD DVD/BR players forced to "down-convert" signals over analog

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 21, 2006.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6300812.html
    Regarding the last part of the article, there's also this info from a while back:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=15908
    So the situation may not be as bad as once thought (no HD at all if you didn't have an HDMI port), but "down-converting" is still going to happen, at least by some studios. Hopefully for those of you who have an HDTV that doesn't support HDMI, maybe the second quote I offered will be accurate.

Although even in a worst-case scenario (meaning you'll need a new TV), at least the prices are coming down a lot.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

They're being real b****es all because of piracy.

They're already enforcing the HDCP format so that any set without that port can't receive High-Def signals. This excludes 1st generation sets, most computer monitors: LCD or CRT. If you bought a nice 30" Apple LCD, it ain't gonna play on that Blu-Ray player.

Total bull****. Their only sell for people to upgrade is the bigger resolution. Media companies aren't going to add more content. The content will be nearly similar to current DVDs

Well their plan is going to blow up on them. If people don't know how to download digital movies so they can play on old sets, they will.

They also forgot that China and Hong Kong existed...

3. Davidoff

Davidoff Member

haha.. I love that the movie and music industry still think they can stop piracy, get with the times and learn what the software industry did.. Pirates will always reverse engineer products, but it's always the common user who ends up getting screwed with all the changes and limitations that these companies end up making.. :mad:

4. droxford

droxford Member

They're attacking any analog link in the chain as a security hole (which it is).

The hacking community has a large shopping list of tasks to complete that are building up:

learn how to decrypt incoming digital cable
    learn how to decrypt HD blu-ray and HDDVD media
    learn how to strip any security flags from within movie data

..(*sigh*) I wish I was guru on hacking, decrypting, and advanced electronic hardware.

I would think that hardware manufactures are getting pretty sick of the movie-company consortiums telling them "your hardware must do this and that, and your hardware can't do this and that." I know I'd get sick of it. And as they continue to change their security, they're going to expect the hardware manufacturers to change their hardware. This is a short road - people aren't going to go out and buy new TV sets every two years because the security crap has changed and isn't supported by their old set.

If the hardware manufacturers knew what was good for 'em, they'd stick to their guns a bit and only comply with SOME of what the consortiums want, and only do it once. They shouldn't allow themselves to be pushed around year after year.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is the bizarre response I just don't get. Piracy is forcing hardware manufacturers to resort to this stuff, but "the common user" blames the hardware manufacturers. Huh?

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Maybe the common user blames the hardware manufacturers for being tools to the media industry.

It's kind of like the iPod cellphone. It seems like a great idea but big media's strong-arming the manufacturers into submission.

The common user's shooting the messenger.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

What he said...total BS... :mad:

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

While I'm disappointed in the news, there are some bright spots. As opposed to just the specifications of BR/HD DVD screwing the consumers, basically individual movie studios will be. Since they're supposed to say on the box whether or not the movie down-converts, people can always "boycott" the movie studios by not buying those discs (assuming other studios, or even other movies from that studio, are not down-converting).

It doesn't even really make sense why they would do this to prevent piracy though, IMO. I mean, I think most pirates would love to pirate 960x540 versions of these movies (better than DVD, not to mention smaller in size). In fact, the ICT supporters even said that "few consumers will be able to tell the difference between down-converted analog and high-def." The following screen seems to support that I guess:
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7295/leno1080pcompareqtrrez5lg.jpg
    (half is full 1080i, other half is downsampled to 960x540 and then resized)

So...why even do it? Especially since it doesn't sound too hard to get around this, and even if it was, I'm sure the pirates would be able to find a way, as always. Maybe this will just be used in extreme cases or something. I was always under the impression that EVERY movie would use this, but it sounds like it can vary from studio to studio and even movie to movie. As I said in the OP, hopefully that quote is accurate about not many studios really wanting to use this, outside of maybe some extreme cases, and it won't really be too much of a factor.