1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

HCC rally backs tuition breaks for illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting at best. - RR

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met....com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4022477.html

HCC rally backs tuition breaks for illegal immigrants
    Group protests efforts that would deny federal money for such programs

By ALLAN TURNER
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Standing in graduation caps and gowns with their mouths taped shut and their hands tied, 20 young people rallied at Houston Community College Monday to protest legislative efforts to cut tuition breaks for illegal immigrants attending Texas colleges.

"They are here with mouths taped and hands tied because that will be their future if HB 1403 is taken away," said Mike Espinoza, spokesman for the group calling itself Young Immigrants for a Better Future, as he gestured to the silent line of protesters standing in a light midday rain.

Texas House Bill 1403, authored by state Rep. Rick Noriega, D-Houston, and passed in 2001, allows immigrant students who have lived with their parents or guardians, spent three years in Texas and either graduated from high school or obtained an equivalent diploma in the state to pay lower, in-state college tuitions.

Espinoza, a University of Houston sociology graduate student, denounced efforts by U.S. Rep. John Culberson, R-Houston, to keep Texas and nine other states from using money to assist students who are in the country illegally.

While HB 1403 was not aimed specifically at illegal immigrants, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board says some of those who have benefited are in the U.S. illegally. Texas and California were the first to extend tuition breaks to undocumented students.

Coordinating board figures show 212 students attended three University of Houston campuses under the program last fall. UH's tuition and fees for 15 hours of classes are $6,450 per year for in-state students and $12,326 per year for out-of-state students.

Culberson recently tacked an amendment onto an appropriations bill that would prohibit spending federal money on such a tuition-break program.

Culberson, who could not be reached for comment Monday, argued that HB 1403 broke the 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, which prohibits extending benefits to illegal immigrants that aren't available to all U.S. residents.

Coordinating board figures show that 5,300 students enrolled in institutions of higher learning in Texas under the program last fall. It was not known how many were in the country illegally.

One of them was a 20-year-old protester who identified himself only as Antonio.

One of three children of immigrant parents, he was 12 when he arrived in Houston. He now is a junior photography student who maintains a 3.25 grade-point average and hopes to enter medical school.

He works to pay tuition, receiving limited assistance from his parents.

"I wouldn't be able to afford to go to college," he said of the prospect of paying out-of-state tuition. "It's difficult enough to come up with the money for a semester now. It would be still harder."

"We're not cheating the government. This is something we earned," the student said. "We put in the efforts to get the grades. We came here as minors. We became what we are right here."

allan.turner@chron.com

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So American kids are busting their asses to pay for tuition but illegals get tuition breaks that they've "earned". WTF?

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most American kids aren't busting their asses. The American kids, or any kids for that matter, that bust their asses get rewarded for it through scholarships if they also have the aptitude to go along with the work.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Scholarships in an ideal world should be based on merit only, not on what color your skin is or what company your parent works for.

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

No, they don't. It doesn't matter how well you do in school. If your parents make above a certain amount of money, you don't get a scholarship. Period.

Why is it that certain people on this board have such a low view of Americans?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

American kids and their families are busting their asses to pay tuition that rises every year. Take a look around buddy. I don't think when American kids have to join the military in large numbers to pay for college or are forced to go into huge debt in securing loans for school that this country should be in the business of subsidizing higher education for illegals. That's just political nonsense right there. An American kid can't even cross into another state without getting jacked with tuition costs but an illegal can sneak into the country and get tuition relief? Whatever.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What did I get for busting my ass? ZERO dollars in subsidized Federal Stafford Loans! Total BS. College costs are skyrocketing, interest rates are going up to 6.8%, and some idiots want to give money to illegals? There's not nearly enough money for US citizens as it is!

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I agree.

9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

And how high were your scores on the big standerdized tests?

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

710 GMAT
    3.2 undergrad GPA, Electrical Engineering from UT

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Definitely a hell of a lot higher than yours.

12. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

;) simple spelling mistake.

The problem as I see it is that too many people who shouldn't be going to college are, and complain about the costs because of it. College is not a trade school, and it should not be viewed as such. People say John Doe works his ass off, but of what does working his ass off consist? I grew up around that meaning he pulled Cs in high school.

13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I was always under the impression that unless you were pursuing a PhD, post-bach funding was next to impossible.

With that being said, congratulations about your GMAT scores. I might've mistook your venting. I thought you were referring to your pre-undergrad experiences when referring to busting your ass, not the undergrad work. That does anger me, though. I feel you should be rewarded for your work during college since you are contributing to the environment.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The current reality is that some amnesty or documentation program will come to place within the next 5-10 years. It'd be better to have as much of these guests know what they're doing than to be officially incorporated into a stagnant welfare state.

15. Major

Major Member

No. Its saying that instead of paying out-of-state tuition, kids that are illegal but have lived in Texas for years would pay the same tuition as other kids that live in Texas. I believe the rules (3 years in Texas) are still more stringent than other students (1 year in Texas).

For all the reactionary people on the board, the bill has nothing to do with merit, income OR race.

16. Major

Major Member

17. Major

Major Member

Here is the House Bill 1403:

House Bill 1403 (Texas Residency)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 54.057 (j), Texas Education Code, (House Bill 1403) provides for an individual to be classified as a Texas resident until the individual establishes a residence outside this state if the individual resided with the individual’s parent, guardian, or conservator while attending a public or private high school in Texas and

1. graduated from a public or private high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Texas;
    2. resided in Texas for at least three years as of the date the person graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma;
    3. registers as an entering student in an institution of higher education Fall 2001 or thereafter, and
    4. provides to the institution an affidavit stating that the individual will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity the individual is eligible to do so.

So it does appear to simply define immigrants who have lived in Texas for three years as in-state residents and thus eligible for in-state tuition, as opposed to any kind of lower tuition that other Texas residents are not eligible for.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

basically.
    if you are illegal. . . been here three years
    you can get into college and be treated as an in state student

My point is. . . slowly but surely the line between
    illegal, legal and citizen is disappearing
    Is this not an example of that?

at this point . . . no one seems to care about it.

Actually
    a Co-Worker mentioned a plan to have open boarders between
    Canada, Mexico and America . . this seems to point in that direction
    maybe.

Rocket River

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

By getting community college or university degrees, illegal immigrants would probably nullify one of their key perceived costs to American society, albeit on individual, case-by-case bases. They would increase their potential productivity and marketability within our job market. This decreases their likelihood to depend upon social services, and increases their likelihood to be net contributors to our society, both economically and fiscally. I am also idealist enough to think that increased education is a net benefit to our society no matter who gets it.

How does the state of Texas subsidize higher education? Do community colleges get county property taxes? Other than that, isn't Texas' other source of income sales tax (due to the lack of a state income tax)? In that context, wouldn't illegal immigrants who've lived here long enough have already "contributed" a similar amount as non-home-owning Texans (as I was at the time), by sheer virtue of retail consumption?

I guess the only major issue is how pissed off fully visa'd international students would be, still having to pay $20,000+ per year international tuition rate at U of H while illegal aliens get the in-state rate. It might create an incentive for some sort of residency/documentation fraud.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I have to retract the last paragraph of this post. For some reason, I was under the impression that International Students paid a specific higher tuition rate (even higher than non-state residents), but apparently they just pay the non-state-resident rate. My mistake.