1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] The Last of Us (beware spoilers)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

episode 5 was probably my favorite one of the 1st season…I remember my jaw dropped at the end

the acting and character interactions were top notch that episode

towards the end, the plot armor was getting outta control…this man killed 30 ops by himself at the hospital and I was thinking “ok, c’mon now, y’all turning this man into the Punisher and doing the thing where all the enemies shoot like Amen Thompson hitting everything but the target”

I’ve got high hopes for S2

rocketsjudoka, clos4life and Xerobull like this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think 2 seasons to tell the story of part 2 is good but 3 is just pushing it and just trying to milk it. I liked the overall pace of season 1 even with the needless deviations from the source material, they just need to keep it moving and not trying to add too much. Video game adaptations go off the rails when they do that.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

That part of the last episode bothered me. It was Stormtrooper Syndrome. Where you had these guys who were hardened fighters who had survived countless battles with the infected and federal troops to suddenly not be able to shoot straight.

I know the show is based off of a video game but stuff like that and that there are giant infected that are impossible to kill that bother me.

Reeko likes this.
  4. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

I think the last episode was a bit too gamey, but also I don't think the Fireflies are necessarily the hardened, well trained soldiers that some might think. Especially at that point of the timeline. I think the game did a better job of getting that across than the show though, and of course in the game it *sorta* makes more sense that you can take out everyone by yourself (because it is a game). Maybe something to slightly recton/explore in S2.

And FWIW, I think splitting up the second game into 3 seasons is fine, especially if we're talking about 7ish episodes per season. I can sorta see a way to split up that story into 3 parts that probably works fine.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

By the time of the events of the last episode the Fireflies were survivors who had been fighting for decades. At that point they aren’t inexperienced but battle hardened veterans. Also the ones in Denver are supposed to be among the best of the fireflies who have made it there from across the country to protect their most important base. It just seems too convenient that they suddenly can’t shoot straight.

it’s reminded me of this.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that there's enough material for two more seasons, but three is pushing it.

There might be enough Santa Barbara material for a truncated season four, but I'm not sure. The Rattlers were a cool enemy and the setting was nice, but I don't think we need multiple episodes of Abby and Lev surviving slavery.

I can imagine that the next season will focus on Ellie seeking revenge for Joel's murder and will position Abby as a one-dimensional villain. Season three could turn the tables on the audience and basically be the Abby half of the game: show that she's multi-dimensional, had valid reasons for revenge, and the impact that seeking it had on her and Ellie.

clos4life likes this.
  7. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

I don't really want to get into potential S2+ spoilers about the Fireflies, but as a group, I think you're giving them much more credit than they deserve. Especially at this point in the storyline. I think the majority of experienced, hardened soldiers either died or deserted the group long ago (e.g., Tommy). This is a group that's basically recruiting kids to help with their numbers. Morale at this point is pretty low, and of course it won't be getting any better after the events of S1.

The initial batch of Fireflies designated for this mission got wiped out outside Boston IIRC. Also minor correction, but the final headquarters is in SLC Utah, not Colorado... because the headquarters in Colorado was quickly evacuated due to an Infected outbreak. Think they were only able to really secure the hospital in SLC as well and not much else (due to manpower, supplies, etc). Honestly I think most of the people sticking around at that point were more lucky than good (or just new recruits).

Conversely, while I don't think Joel was a military vet pre outbreak, his brother (Tommy) was. Think it is implied that Joel picked up a lot from his brother during this time.

Having said all that, I again will state it was still a bit too far-fetched. I'm just taking issue with anyone who thinks highly of the Firefly members at this point. This is not exactly the same as a well funded, well trained, well fed, well rested, elite military program like the Stormtroopers (and the Empire in general) from Star Wars. Unfortunately this is a bit of a trope in Hollywood (and in gaming), and creators just want you to shut off your brain and cheer on the main character (though at least in this case....cheering on Joel might be difficult to do).

mtbrays likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Member

Man, I really shouldn't have clicked on that spoiler tag. That's my bad.

Andre0087 likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I have no doubt they will flip the POV at some point and the show will follow Abby heavily. Part 2 (the game) basically tried to pull a cinema trick that is rarely done well in gaming (and they caught a lot of crap for it). I think they will go full bore into the moral dilemma vis-a-vis Abby.

In terms of cutting stuff out -- I'd be completely unbothered if Lev and the Seraphites storyline was totally ignored. The WLF can be given a different rival org or just don't explore that at all. Either way would be better.

The Rattlers are whatever. Generic bad guy gang in the apocalypse. Could be shaped into something more compelling.

What I'm really curious about is how they treat the following:

1) Joel's death -- do they put it at the beginning, end, or middle of season 2? This decision will severely impact the pacing and what parts of the story get more airtime.
    2) How do they treat the intervening time between the ending of the events in Colorado and the start of the events in Wyoming? Will they do any character/relationship building? There's a couple of characters that I felt were underdeveloped in the game (Jesse and Dina IMO).

clos4life and mtbrays like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Don't feel bad. You may be the last person on Earth to find out given the plot was leaked prior to the release of the game several years ago.

MadMax likes this.
  11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I gotta play part 2 soon…hope it’s just as good as part 1.

MadMax likes this.