1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you been satisfied with Ron's performance this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Feb 21, 2009.

?

have you been satisfied with ron's performance this year?

1. yes

299 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. no

168 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Now that the trade deadline has passed, I think a more honest evaluation can be made.

The question is simple: Have you been satisfied with Ron's performance this year?

I found myself pretty confused these past few weeks, when the tide of popular opinion seemed to consider Ron a "ball-stopping", selfish disappointment.

Despite his poor shooting, I've been very satisfied with his play this year. He has poor shot selection, but he always looks for Yao, and brings an intensity that seems to pick up the pace of the game. He's also been huge in our two biggest games of the year.

Re-signing him is a different issue. I'm merely asking, have you been satisfied with his performance thus far?

2. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

why no somewhat option?

3. ibm

ibm Member

i think the injury has slowed him down a little bit. his main problem is that he forces actions too often. otherwise i'd give a solid b- thus far.

4. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

I haven't been satisfied with his play all year, but I never liked the trade from the beginning. I do love his effort and fight on the court though.

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

His shot selection is getting better.

The one thing that is actually keeping him from being flamed everyday by the boards is his 40% 3 point shooting. What a luxury that is.

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Honestly, I wasn't sure about Ron until that one Jazz game, where he took over.

That was the game where I was like, man, Morey did good with the Greene-Artest trade.

7. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

100% satisfied.

He really didn't do well in the beginning of the season because his offensive game doesn't mix well with Yao and T-Pain's, forcing him to be a spot-up 3 point shooter when all 3 where on the court. The games where T-Pain didn't play, he can get better shots on the floor and sometimes is a more willing passer than T-Pain.

Now that T-Pain's career is most likely over in Houston, he will be our 2nd offensive option and will now get better shots since T-Pain isn't there to iso for about 18 seconds into the shot clock then throw a last second pass.

I don't see how people can be disappointed in Artest's play this season. He personally won us 5-6 games this season, the most memorable ones were the 1st Dallas game, the 1st Utah Jazz game, and the 2nd Celtics game(even after he fouled out). He was a steal of a trade.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

25-22.

How could you not be satisfied? What were you guys expecting - '05 McGrady?

9. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Its ClutchFans. You know, the same people who would argue that Yao is way better than Howard, yet the moment Yao has a sub-par game, they instantly say crap like Yao is too soft and we will never get anywhere with him.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, and I don't think he's satisfied either. Or at least I hope not.

But he's played better the last few weeks, and I'm optimistic he'll finish out the season strong.

11. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Yes, before his injury he was very active on offense and defense. And, if not for TMac's injury, he could have given his proper time to heal. Last night showed he is close to getting back to pre-injury form. He probably needs a couple of more weeks off but since it is the second half of the season he won't. He was taped up pretty good for the game.

I like what he has given us this far which seems to be all he can give. I don't see any selfish play going on, especially the last 4 games. I think once he is fully over the ankle injury he can really start driving to the basket more. Right now it doesn't appear that he can blow past anyone to get to the rim so he methodically works his way there looking for the best shot opportunity to present itself.

12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two things that have really suprised me are 1) how the ball does stop in his hands and two how overall poor his defense is.

I assumed that being from a RA team he would play the RA offense, and he really doesn't. I am not saying that he is a bad offensive player, he certainly has made contributions and some very big shots. But he is not a part of that ball moving offense that I was expecting. I think he also puts up a lot of low percentage shots. I'll give him credit that many go in, but in the end I think the numbers will catch up to him.

I am shocked by his defense. Last night against Dallas in the 28 point first quarter he literally stood around and did not guard his man. I don't know where the term TruWarrior came from - to me it looked like TrulyUinterested. He does get steals but many are from risky plays that often look good when it works (ie a steal) but often gives up points when it does not work. That was not what I was expecting from one of the better defensive reps in the league.

I am not saying dump the guy or he is a dog, but he was not at all what I was expecting. I am allways disapointed by poor fundamentals.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not satisfied enough to sign him to anything that could bite us hard.

14. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I'd say I'm slightly dissatisfied with Artest thus far. I thought he was a better post player than he is, and I didn't realize how poor his shot selection would be.

That said, I think he's been much better the last couple of weeks.

15. buptjinhe

buptjinhe Member

I did not expected too much for him, but I really like his determination, dedication and toughness. That is really what Rox needs.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's not that simple. Did I expect better numbers from him? Yes. Did I expect him to behave this well and keep getting better despite the mess this entire season has been. No.

I give him an incomplete. Let's see what he does from now until May.

17. SouthMJS

SouthMJS Member

I thought maybe he would put up bigger numbers than he has so far. When he was out with the ankle, the team looked a lot less agressive...Of course T-mac was trying to play when ronron wasnt able to, so maybe that also had something to do with it.

Anyway I am "satisfied" with his performance

18. comehere2

comehere2 Member

No.

Ron needs to pass the ball sometimes.

19. alcatrazpsycho

I cannot cast a vote as of yet. I'll have to reserve my judgment from the all-star break until the end of this season.

He was playing on a team who he claimed belonged to Yao and T-Mac. He was playing on a team who he was willing to come off the bench for. He expected T-Mac to be a leader.

The cards have changed now.

All I know is when I was at the Rockets-Jazz game on Dec 27 (a game that T-Mac didn't play), Ron took over in the second OT to win. He took the load. He did what Yao couldn't. He didn't disappoint me then.

I doubt he'll disappoint from now on.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like it!
    Esp in the games T-Mac not playing in

Rocket River