1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Orlando Screwed Up Big-Time By Delaying?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Nero

Nero Member

You know, just like most everyone else here, I have very quickly become enamored and attached to our 4 new rookies.

D-Mo, Lamb, Jones & White would be very solid keepers from any draft, but the fact that they have all arrived at the same time, it is almost a bit overwhelming.

Combined with Parsons and now Lin, as well as what now seems to be confirmed as adding Asik, this team now has youth and very intriguing potential to grow and become very good in the next few years.

Adding Howard or even Bynum would just be the icing on the cake.

Except, the assumption is that we are going to have to give up a few of those pieces in order to get Howard here, and likely a bit less for Bynum.

That is rapidly becoming an idea which I am less and less able to stomach.

I know we are still the leading candidate to bring in Howard, or at the very least Bynum in a 3-way deal, but at what cost now?

And more importantly (because I am merely a fan, my opinion matters very little), how has the performance of this new 'Youth Brigade' affected Morey's position on the trade?

Has it affected his position at all?

I am trying to be objective, but I just cannot imagine Morey now being willing to include Motie, Parsons or Lamb in any deal, and with every passing day, Jones and White make themselves more and more valuable as well.

So this is leading me to think that Orlando has screwed themselves big-time with their unwillingness to move on what was clearly a very good offer from Houston all along.

Had they made the trade right after the draft, or at least before Summer League began, they would have been able to pry probably at least two of those guys away, if not three, as well as multiple draft picks.

But as it stands now, I am personally feeling less and less willing to give these guys up, and more and more willing to give more picks, Martin and filler for Howard and whatever garbage they need to send back, I would say up to 3 contracts (1 bad, 2 medium).

And it is only going to get worse for them the longer they wait.

Los Angeles is not magically going to suddenly have the value that Orlando is insisting upon, and if we get Bynum instead of Howard, then we will be sending them LESS, not more.

At this point, I am actually leaning more now toward hoping it becomes a 3-way and we end up getting Bynum for Martin, picks, filler and only taking back one bad contract.

Man that would be sweet.

But if Orlando keeps dragging their feet, thinking the offers are going to get BETTER, boy are they going to be disappointed.

I could see us rolling with what we have, adding Asik and having some premuim lottery picks coming up. And not ending up with Howard, or Bynum either.

And who knows, maybe Bynum would come here as a FA and we don't give anything up at all.

Now I know it is silly to get all googly-eyed just based off of some offseason performances by some young guys - that's how we wound up stuck with Kelvin Cato.

But still. Who here is still feeling as desperate about getting Howard at all costs now? Who is still honestly thinking that if we don't end up with Howard or Bynum, but we do add Lin & Asik, that this team is going to be one of the worst in the league - even this coming season? Yes there will be growing pains, but if we actually keep Toronto's pick, then we don't even need to deliberately tank. Losing is a stink that is very hard to wash off, regardless of the situation. I would much rather see our guys do well and let Toronto do the sucking.

All in all, yes I would like to see DH or Bynum here, but I am hoping that Morey's computer brain is adjusting his calculations daily to reflect the growing value of our young guys and the diminishing value of Orlando's position.

Either way though.. man, what an offseason!

(oh and I am really really glad I am not a Knicks fan!)

2. underrated015

underrated015 Member

sam mitchell on nba tv said orlando should rethink this deal during our summerleague game. morey's assets are lookn good. its basically take it or leave it for dwight. knows what he's doing.

3. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Unfortunately, neither Morey nor Leslie will see it the way some fans on here see it. They probably are loving what the rookies are doing so they can be moved! Leslie is a stubborn old man who refuses to rebuild for his own selfish purposes, meaning he wants another championship while he's still the owner and couldn't care less about the team or the city. That's why I never liked the idea of a city's team being owned by an individual. It is what it is but let's hope Morey doesn't go desperate (which he will) and give away 3 rookies - Lamb is a lock to go - for a year rental or that headcase of a Bynum.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

At the very least, we have improved our bargaining position.

Last week, we effectively had a cast of unknowns to bargain with. Human nature is going to err on the side of wanting a future unselected draft pick over an unproven rookie.

But now, with all 4 guys performing well on the Summer League, there's a body of evidence (albeit an extremely small and flawed sample set) that these guys can play.

Now when Orlando asks for 3 guys or something, we can say "why would we give you everyone AND Kevin Martin with a straight face.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

At best the Magic can wait for the trade restrictions on Lopez or Lin to expire and choose from those overpaid contracts.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Morey would rather take on Orlando's bad contracts than give up too much of our talent. The more credible rumors have us only giving up one of our 3 rookies from the draft. Martin, Morris, jones, draft picks, and bad contracts = final offer.

Personally I think that if you're gonna give up good talent and picks, Bynum is the better target. His age will allow him to grow with our youth, and he wants to be here long-term.

1 person likes this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'd be surprised if Orlando gets what was mentioned in the trade for Dwight, like 2 of 3 our top draft picks, future draft picks, Parsons and KMart. Magic should have pulled the trade earlier, now they are dealing with appreciative assets, not depreciating given how our rookies have made a splash.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I don't know what the final deal will look like (tho I am convinced Drew is here, Ho-Ho in LaLaLand; 3 bad contracts split between the two, several 1s + and that is where I just don't know nada) but - - every single day this Dwightmare plays out is additional pressure on that rookie GM kid to hit a big time walk-off home run and that scares me.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Here's a thought. How about we wait for Bynum to expire....

I really don't want to give anything good up for renting Howard who is coming off injury. The guy is a drama queen.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Can't offer him that 5th yr. La can and likely will.

11. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Dwight Howard told the LA Times his back will be fine for the 2012-13 season (h/t @<a href="https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins">JoshuaBRobbins</a>). Full story on <a href="http://t.co/WRYIwAXk" title="http://OrlandoSetinel.com">OrlandoSetinel.com</a>.</p>&mdash; Orlando Magic Daily (@OMagicDaily) <a href="https://twitter.com/OMagicDaily/status/225617080936972289" data-datetime="2012-07-18T15:44:38+00:00">July 18, 2012</a></blockquote> <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Prince

Prince Member

I'm sure Orland would ask for at least 3 of the names you mentioned above. I also is not happy if they go away. I think we have one potential super star already.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Dwight Howard told the Houston Chronicle his back will keep him out for most of the 2012-13 season (h/t @JoshuaBRobbins). Full story on OrlandoSetinel.com.

2 people like this.
  14. da_juice

da_juice Member

This is probably about right. We send Martin, Morris, Patterson and maybe the dallas pick. Lakers send a pick. We get Bynum and Hedo or Duhon. Lakers get Howard and Davis.

Ideally, we could include a 4th team who would take Gasol and/or Martin for a pick- that way we're only giving up redundant guys.

I think Morey will not send Lamb or Motie unless we're getting Dwight on a multiyear deal (and capspace for CP3). Same deal with the Raptors pick.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good post, OP.

If we get Bynum, most likely it will mean that less of our young talent will go to Orlando. It will also mean that we may be getting less garbage from Mickey Mouse.

As of now, Bynum can start for us from the get go. When will Howard start? I know the season doesn't start today, but dude cannot even run yet, and from a guy who is so dependent upon his athleticism, a bad back could also mean D12 superman could be forever gone.

So, do we choose a star player who wants to be here or a superstar who does not want to be here and whose availability to play significantly this year is a question mark?

Take Bynum.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I know where your going with this but isn't wanting another
    championship a good thing....we don't all agree how he's trying
    to do it but I do applaud his stubborness to get one......:)

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

as i mentioned this once...every game that the Rockets Rookies get to play...and if they continue to do what they have been doing...their value will just keep climbing...and the ORL mgmt will get less of a return. The Rockets are desperate for a superstar...but i can guarantee you this...what was on the offer table prior to the draft is clearly not better than what the Rockets have to offer now...

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Question: Since the only big contract we can offer is Martin he's 100% gone in any trade involving Howard / Bynum, so who is our SG since Lamb is also 90% certain to be involved?? Lee is good as gone and there's nothing on the market...

19. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Surprised this barely came to my mind...

Toronto's pick (likely lottery) + OUR 1st round pick.

This of course is if we don't snag Howard or Bynum. But Our current roster of young talent plus another 2 lottery picks next season? I can dig it.

20. FadeAway_Dreams

In some ways Orlando may be smart to not jump at a deal. Let some team get desperate during the season. Someone's dream team turns into a nightmare and they panic and want/need to unload someone or even reload due to injury and things could still turn out better for Orlando. No one is really gaining or losing leverage in this and Orlando still holds the commodity that everyone else is after.