1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

has a trade ever been recinded due to public reaction?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robbie380, Jun 29, 2006.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

has it ever happened in any sport? we need it to happen here.

below is a rant that I just started writing and I figured I would post it...
    this move by the rox is not like the texans picking mario williams. williams looks like he can play and the texans had a solid draft to back up the pick.

this is a horrible trade. we didn't have to make this insane trade. I wonder how many other teams would have traded up to try to get rudy gay. what ever happened to trading down for more picks? we could have still got brewer and marcus williams. how in the hell did the rox get the idea this was a good trade? can't we just get the other teams to veto this trade like in fantasy sports?

god I hope we win in spite of these idiots.

2. superden

superden Contributing Member

Oh I hope. The Rockets still have time to pull the plug. They BETTER back out.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Didn't the Scottie Pippen/Shawn Kemp trade in 1994 get cancelled due to fan backlash in Chicago? It wouldn't surprise me if MJ also put in a call to Krumbs Krause and told him not to do it.

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Yeah, I bet the fans had nothing to do with recinding of that trade. Most likely it was all Jordan. If you read Phil Jackson's book, you'll notice MJ had A LOT of pull on that organization. Tmac or Yao...let your voices be heard.

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I don't think it's worth alienating potential trading partners to rectify this blunder.

However, if they can somehow prove collusion between the Grizzlies and Portland to ensure the Rockets don't land Foye for their trade with Minnesota for Roy, then the Rocket might have ethical grounds on which to rescind the trade.

6. munco

munco Member

I posted this idea in another thread, but I'm willing to throw some money into taking at out in the Chronicle voicing our displeasure.

Even a 1/4 page would generate significant publicity, I don't know if anything like this has ever been done and I'm sure the newswires would pick it up.

7. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

About how much does it cost to get a section like that in the Chronicle?

8. francishsu

francishsu New Member

Yes I believe a trade has been rescinded before due to public pressure. When the Celtics agreed to trade Danny Fortson to the Raptors for Alvin Williams and Sean Marks, there was some public backlash. But the Celtics were able to rescind the trade at the last minute by claiming that Williams failed the physical. But while Williams had past injuries that would show up in a physical, hasn't Battier been as healthy as an ox?

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

In that case anyone who knows where Battier is go run over his foot so he'll fail the physical before it's too late.

10. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

It's called "Floating a balloon". Management will leak a possible trade to see what the fan/media sentiment is. This ballon is the Hindengurg!

[​IMG]

11. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

I live in Baltimore but i'm a rockets fan. (Ironically Rudy Gay's home city) I was wondering if the Rockets management has any idea of how mad the fans are? Have they acknowledged it at all? I'm sure you guys have been burning up the local radio stations. Do any of them stream on the Internet?

I was so excited to think about a local product playing for my favorite team and I ended up being crushed and angry :mad:

12. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Thinking objectively, why would the Rockets organization care for a lukewarm fanbase that, relatively, does not care enough to show up to games or buy wholeheartedly into their product? The team will STILL make money just from marketing Yao and TMac as attractions so they can afford to let loose a young guy for a veteran who will help immediately.

Yall can talk how you wont buy tickets, stop watching games, blah blah, but all the team has to do is look at the Texans after their draft--only TEN people didnt renew season tickets, and football reigns much much much higher in Houston than basketball.

13. Guru

Guru Member

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the rox follow cf.net pretty closely. recently clutch posted a poll that the rox management asked him to. it was over what time rox fans wanted games to start at, 7 or 7:30.

they know how pissed we are and how idoitic this move was. the only thing they can do to fix this problem is say that battier failed the physical or break the unofficial trade due to the fan uprising.

this isn't houston fans being pissy over not getting vince young. this is houston fans being irate over a horrible trade that will set this team back.

15. joeguo

joeguo Contributing Member

Is it legal to claim someone failing physical when he does not?

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

17. Roxer

Roxer Member

[quoote]has a trade ever been recinded due to public reaction?[/quote]

let's this be the 1st one!

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think so, and I don't think this will be the first one either.

19. TracyMcCrazyeye

umm that will just encourage the rox org to make more dumb-headed moves

20. tigereye

tigereye Member

For every example of recinded trade due to fan reaction, all you have to do is look to the NFL Draft.

The Eagles apss on Ricky Williams and select Donovan McNabb....much to the dismay of all the "Iggles" fans in attandence, who could have very easily rioted and burned the Vet down to the ground that day.

Look how that turned out.

There is a chance that we the fans could be wrong about thisand management could be right. And the more time I think about yesterday's events, the more I agree with this conclusion.

Think about it.....Its Rudy Gay, who has all this promise, yet slips in one of the weakest drafts in NBA HISTORY!