1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden is on a 3 YEAR deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Dec 8, 2020.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Everyone is pointing to the 2 non-option years on Hardens contract, but the reality is that functionally he’s on a 3 year deal.

Why? Because the idea that a contender can open up the necessary $50 million in space to sign Harden is insane. Any contender already has at least one other player signed to a max deal. So when you add that player, plus anyone else on a competitive roster, it’s VERY difficult to get to $50 million.

That does not mean Harden wouldn’t opt out. He probably would to sign a longer deal...but it would very likely be with the team he’s already playing for.

Anyway, thought this was relevant to the discussion. Harden has always tried to maximize his $$$, even going as far as not hiring an agent. He wants the $50 million per year AND he wants to win. He won’t take a paycut, so he’s playing the only card he has...trade me to a contender.

fckbandwagons and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't know why we have to reiterate this to the media until we're blue in the face:

James Harden has no choice in where he is traded to. If the Charlotte Hornets, Sacramento Kings, or Cleveland Cavs offer us the best deal, and we like it, he can take his self pity over there. There strip clubs probably aren't as good as Houston's, though.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

He doesn't have a choice, but he does have influence. I don't know that if Harden made it clear that he didn't want to play for "X" that "X" is going to offer a lot for a player that says he doesn't want to play there.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I get that. I just want to reiterate that if some team wants to make an offer we liked we'll trade him there, no matter what he says.

I hope we take a lateral package from a team he doesn't want to play for over a team he does, if it comes to it. Just to spite him.

Nook likes this.