1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden Calls for Switch On Lillard With Gif

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, May 3, 2014.

1. RocketMania1991

Blame Mchale as much as we want, but Harden was the one on the court along with the others. They should be more than competent to know how to handle this situation.

http://gfycat.com/WhoppingCostlyChimpanzee

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

You don't need someone guarding the inbound man. I don't care who got beat on the play, if everything is coming to the ball, why wouldn't you have jones shading whichever way the action is coming from

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

An inbounds pass should never be guarded if there's not enough time to pass it back to him

1 person likes this.
  4. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

Really dumb move by McFail. Inbounder won't get a pass back in time.

5. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

This will probably be my last post on CF for a while. I just can't take this right now. I've come to one word that really summarizes why we blew the last play and lost the series: INCOMPETENCE. That's it.

6. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The coaching is another reason we lost some of the games. Sure i blamed the players....but the coach suck at time too. I think we need someone like Jeff Van Gundy that won't stand for bullshyt lazy defense like that.

7. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

Sequence of Failures:

1. Leaving Lin out when he had Lillard's number in Q4
    2. Leaving Harden in for a last defensive play
    3. Leaving a man on the inbounder
    4. Harden redirecting Parsons at the last minute, causing confusion

too many fails

8. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

im actually okay with switching.

switching is a good move if you're preventing an open jumper or lane in a short amount of time. it ensures that the shot will at least be contested. its just too bad that parsons was a step late and lillard hit a big shot

9. Rocketeer Bang

It's pretty obvious to me that these Rockets don't really learn from their mistakes. we've seen the same mistake happening over and over in the regular season and yet nothing was done about it. as painful as this loss might be, if i were looking through an objective lens, we don't deserve to win. The Rockets have always been a mess in crucial situations. The players on the court don't seem to know what they should do, and the coaching staff can't rein the players. Tonight's buzzer beater was reminiscent of a regular season game against the Lakers where Lin was clearly held and no one switched to defend Steve Blake on an inbound. If f***king Blake can do it, then why can't an emerging star like Lillard pull it off against our porous defense??

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

So pretty much you are saying that it was Harden's fault for giving orders in the court...?

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's always a man on the inbounder, remember Roy's 0.3 sec gamewinner?

Every coach does this and now when it happens with McHale he's suddenly the only coach in history to do it and has to be fired.

And guess who was the coach when this thing with Roy happened...Adelman, who had tons of threads where people wanted to fire him and said he's terrible.

The first thing Clutchfans do after losses is blaming the Coach, no matter who it is. Just stupid. No way the players were at fault for messing up simple defensive assignments, right?

12. sutton

sutton Member

Should have left Lin in, in that case, if Lillard still makes the shoot, we can sacrifice Lin and Clutch will get tuns of ad. click.

13. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Your point is that a coach who got fired by the Rockets had someone uselessly guarding the inbounder with no time left and lost that game in the exact same way so it's okay that McHale had the same strategy?

That's what you're saying?

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No, I'm also against guarding the inbounder and feel like no one should do it.

My point is that people here say someone should get fired for it, although every coach let's players guard the inbounder. It's not a thing that only bad coaches do, it's the most common thing in the NBA after inbounds.

If you say this you'd have a fire coach xy thread on every NBA board at some point in the season.

15. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

They switched before the play so that when Portland set picks they could switch and end up with Pat on Lillard. At least I hope that was what they were doing.

There were two timeouts immediately preceding the play. Why did the players mess it up? Regardless, plenty of people have called for McHale's head since last season.

The only way this season will not be a complete waste is if McHale's gone because of this loss.

16. coffeelover665

It was actually Parsons fault. Look at where he switched to. If he switch spots with Bev then Lillard wouldn't be able to run to along the 3 plus there will be contact. He can only run straight through middle or to the other corner 3 where there is 2 other man. Parson ****ed up his positioning. And Bev who had positioning will be screened by Parson's man. But then again, if Harden didn't call for the switch, we'd still be good. ****, it took 2 straight mistakes for that shot to go in

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm not sure about whether the man on the inbounder is a mistake - you want to make it hard for the inbounder to get a good pass off to the shooter. By putting a man on the inbounder, you basically close off some angles. Of course, Jones wasn't really doing a good job of that. He should have been aware of where Lillard is and should have closed that passing angle.

18. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

win as a team lose as a team. just stop.

19. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

the initial call of Mcfail "stay with your guy" is wrong at first. clearly it's a C&S got no time for another pass, correct play is switch on everything. that's why players got second thoughts and dont trust the coach's plan and act on their own. but the call from JH is incorrect too, as they still didnt switch, and end up a slower parsons on Lillard. after all, it's on coach.

20. makio9

makio9 Member

It's a little more complicated because Mo Williams is setting a screen.

To know he real answer we would need to know if they planned on switching off he screen or not.

We just wre't realy prepared properly.