1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hampton back to Houston speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by grummett, Jan 22, 2002.

1. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

The front page of Astrosconnection.com says that "rumors have begun flying" of a possible Hampton return to Houston. Personally, I think there's a greater chance that The Grocer will nominate Hugh Hefner to run his (and my) alma mater than pay Hampton's contract, but it's still interesting.

2. haven

haven Member

Who's Hugh Hefner's alma mater ;)?

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the Astros are pretty well set with starting pitching. Hampton was good, but I wouldn't want to give up the kind of talent necessary in order to get him back.

I would have to see The Hun make a trade for him.

4. Old School

Old School Member

Screw Hampton. He turned his back on the team for more money. Let him rot in Denver. And I don't care if he got along with Dierker or not...he should have sucked it up.

os

5. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Dude, what are you talking about? Hampton didn't demand a trade, the Astros traded him because they didn't think they were going to be able to sign him. When it came to his free agency, why should he have "sucked it up" by taking less money to play for a place he didn't want to?

If he had demanded a trade and been a b**** after he left I would understand your bitterness. But as it is I see no more ground to be pissed off at Hampton than if you started hating Camineti (sp?) after he was traded to San Diego...

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Maybe you're thinking of Kile, Old School?

7. haven

haven Member

Isn't mlicki currently in our starting rotation?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Or Redding.

I'd give them Richard Hidalgo, Daryl Ward, and Tim Redding for Hampton and Pierre.

They wouldn't do it though.

9. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Who then would be our right fielder rocketman?

10. Old School

Old School Member

That's wrong. Don't you remember that Hampton refused to negotiate with the Astros? It was big news at the time. Are you saying the only reason he didn't want to play here was because of the money situation? I don't think so.

os

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

As per Dave Mlicki -- this guy pitched like Greg Freaking Maddux after the All-star break last season. Perhaps he deserves to stay in the starting rotation to see if he's going to stay that solid. Heck, he started game two of the NLDS, and pitched his ass off . . . a Julio Lugo blunder was the only run he gave up . . .

12. dylan

I remember that Hampton basically gave Hunsicker a list of demands that must be met for them to negotiate. The demands weren't met and there was no negotiation. One of the demands was widely reported to be Dierker's dismissal. Whatever those demands were I don't fault him for issuing them. At least he was upfront and gave Hunsicker a list of what it would take to sign him.

I'm certainly not a Hampton worshiper or anything but I don't hold any resentment to him because there were factors he was not happy about in Houston. To my knowledge he was always very honest about the situation and was never a b**** in the press about it. I would welcome his return to the Astros as long as the cost is not too high.

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wasn't Hampton horrible last year?

14. Timing

Timing Member

I'd love to have Hampton but seriously why are we going to give up talent for this guy and pay him $8million/year when Pedro Astacio signed with the Mets for $5million/year. I'd say Astacio is in Hampton's relative ballpark of pitchers so why didn't we make Astacio an offer? Geez...

15. Old School

Old School Member

Dylan,

To be quite honest, I don't think the Astros need him or is salary. I don't think pitching will be a problem this season.

os

16. dylan

Yeah, Hampton was bad last year. He had a 5.71 ERA. Now keep in mind that he was starting in freaking Colorado. The years before that he had a 3.36, 2.90, and 3.14 ERA. I think getting out of Colorado could do wonders for him. Look at what happened to Kile pre, during, and post Colorado...

17. dylan

Astocio also has/had a tear in his rotater cuff (at least, I think that was it. I know there was some shoulder problem) adn there was major concern among the Astros that it was going to be a recurring problem. Hampton has had no injury concerns for the last many years. That says a lot...

18. dylan

I think our potential pitching is outstanding, even without Hampton. But of the 5 projected starters, 3 are going to be in either their 1st or their 2nd year as full-time starters. Another is Dave Mlicki, he of the 6.17 ERA last year. Now he did show a lot of improvement last year and I am not terribly upset with the prospect of starting him. But we're doing a lot of counting on some mighty young arms.

If reports are true that Colorado is in desperate need of dumping salary, and a deal like Reynolds + Truby or Lane for Hampton can be arranged, I am 100% for it. Even Shane + Hidalgo for Hampton + Pierre would get my approval, although I am certainly less happy about it.

19. haven

haven Member

Juan Pierre... ugh... great in the outfield, but we'd miss Hidalgo's bat. Even in a bad year, he was dramatically better than Pierre with the stick.

If that happened... I'd want to bring along Jason Lane rather quickly ;).

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you guys kidding, a pitcher with a 3.00 era and a .300 batting average?

The guy is a stud, I would take him back in a hearbeat.

DD