1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hack a Whoever - Doesn't seem to work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, May 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I'd love to have some statistics, but it seems like if the team is up or down starting that hack a whoever stuff doesn't help the team that does it.

Anyone have a link or know of some of the statistics that back up or denounce what I see during the games.

Even though it may have seemed like Pop doing it with the Spurs worked a bit, everyone else that's done it seemed to mess up their own flow more than anything else.

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I think even when Pop did it, net-net we reduced the lead they had over the period they were doing. One could argue perhaps we would have reduced the lead even more but would be impossible to prove. If you are up 9 and after hacking for 5 minutes you are only up 6 I don't think the hacking strategy was that effective. Unless you are trying to run out the clock but that is so hard to do in basketball.

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

A few factors: it takes away transition buckets for yourself and it takes away any possibility of the other offense turning it over or otherwise failing to score.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm not sure it was particularly effective for Pop either, especially in the playoffs. I know for sure there was one game where he basically did exactly what McHale did last night -- used it when they were up, and killed their own momentum.

I'm not really convinced it's a worthwhile strategy in most scenarios, but damn if it isn't stressful.

5. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

When we played SA here at TC (before the Playoffs started), Pops started hacking even though SA was up double digits and, to me, that was the real reason it was just a 1-point final margin. Hacking works in certain moments, but the 2 times we did it in this series, definitely backfired on us.

6. caneks

caneks Rookie

It surely would work in the right time and on the right person. Not the way how McHale used it.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I sort of wish that there was a way to track it... Maybe by game flow and plus/minus? Figure out how often it resulted in an increased lead. I'm sure there is someone on the Rockets staff tracking it lol I'm just not smart enough or getting paid to do it.

Can you think of a clear cut example where it did work in the NBA? Especially after they made the 2 minute rule?

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Deandre Jordan seems to shoot worse free throw wise on the road. Just gotta do it in beneficial situations.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am almost sure Morey is tracking it. If he isn't, then he's not as smart as we think.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But if Pops did it, it must be a smart thing to do, right?