1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Growing taller.....?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets R' Us, Jul 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I wanna grow taller. I'm currently 5'7, 17 yrs old and it looks like the end of the line. Sure I might pick up 1-2 inches in the next 2 yrs but I doubt it. I haven't grown an inch since about 7-8th grade....ok fine 1 inch.....but thats it. I found stuff online that claims to help you out, but the fear of the hoax scares me away. Anyone think any of these things work?

growtaller.net - Kimi, reflexology thing
    growtall.com - supplement?
    tobetaller.com
    betaller.com
    gainheight.com
    e-igrewtaller.com
    heightclinic.com
    parmalab.com
    heightfix.com
    heightgainer.com

Come on guys, someone help me out. I wanna be up near that 5'10-6ft mark when I'm said and done with.

2. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There is something that may have a very small effect. I don't know if it's too late in your development or not. Supposedly it will stimulate something in your bones that sends messages to your body, and there is a theory that it will help you to grow taller.

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I was told this by a teacher with a masters in phys ed.

#2 FranchiseBlade, Jul 20, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2003
  3. London'sBurning

One of my cousin's husband had a back injury a few years ago and had to purchase this machine that made you lay flat on your back. When you laid there, you were supposed rock yourself forward and backward. What it did was help stretch out his muscles and keep them loose to help prevent injury and allow him to recover. I dunno how trustworthy the guy is, but he told me he grew two or three inches off that machine in roughly a years time. It either did one of two things. It made him learn to stand up straight and improved his posture, or it actually helped stretch him out and he gained a couple of inches that way. Whatever the case is I don't know.

I'm about 6'0-6'1 and I wouldn't mind growing taller myself, but it's no biggie if I don't. I kinda gain an inch or two with the way I walk. It's not intentional or anything, but I've just been walking that way for awhile. I sort of walk on my tip toes, but not at a degree where you can tell my feet are off the ground. I've been doing it for awhile based on the premonition that it helps keep your calves strong, and relieves any added pressure on the feet. Anyhow, I usually get told I look like I'm closer to 6'2 or 6'3 and that's always nice :D I still got roughly 3 years to go before I stop growing. I believe when you hit around the age of 22, thats when you stop growing. My father was 6'7 but was like 6'2 when he was 18. By the time he graduated from college, he shot up 4 inches. Anyhow, in saying that, you never know when another growth spurt will hit ya. :D

4. Sonny

Sonny Member

Speaking of growing, I always remember this about Rodman.

He's got to be a rare exception, I'd say you don't grow too much after 17-18 and you can't really control it, it's in your genes.

Although I did have a friend who was going to be fairly short and his parents got him on some sort of steroids in Middle School and he grew up to be like 5"9 or so.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

If you want to get bigger try ENZYTE

6. Sane

Sane Member

What do you want to grow taller for?

If it's simply to be more attractive, steroids are out of the picture. Steroids make your *ahem* shrink, and that eliminates the use of attractiveness.

If that doesn't bother you, and you just want to be taller for the sake of sports or whatever, then steroids are a good option.

If you're doing this for basketball, I actualyl suggest getting quicker and improving your shot over trying to get taller. In most cases, people who take steroids find the results dissapointing.

7. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

ONe of these sites has a "ALL-NATURAL" supplement thats has no sideaffects, and just stimulates your pitutary gland allowing you to grow 3-6 inches more within 4 months. 100% money-back gaurantee too. I might look into that. I think its heightgainer.com

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

If you're not overly short (re: legalized midget status), then there's not much you can do about it. Steroids or exercises may help, but that's only going to add an inch or two and may have some repercussions.

What I've seen on television specials for increasing the height of midgets (not using this in a derogatory way, don't get me wrong) is that they insert screws and a contraption into the arm and leg bones, with adjustable screws on the outside. These people turn the screw once or twice each night, allowing the bones to break, regrow bigger, and repeat the cycle.

That's gotta hurt.

9. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I'd be wary. Afterall, don't you think there'd be a media blizzard over the discovery of a growth wonder-drug? They have a money-back guarantee though so I guess there's nothing to lose, unless they have loopholes in that.

I found a forum that reviewed this kind of stuff a few years ago, but it was filled with spam. Try to find independent evaluations of their claims.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Rockets R' Us, like AntiSonic said, if there was a discovery that could stimulate height increase in the average human being, this would be a 'breakthrough' discovery and the media would be all over it. I'de also be weary of the side effects for this particular product you mentioned.

Also, Fact or Fiction? Growing up during my teen years my parents always discouraged me from weight lifting saying it would stunt my growth. Can working out (especially the leg muscles) hinder a person's growth?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I had a disc replaced in my lower back with a couple of titanium screws. The next time I had a physical I was 3/4 of an inch taller, but I wouldn't recommend this method. The pain was/is very bad and I was well and truly screwed. ;)

Seriously, don't mess yourself up with a bunch of wacked "cures" for your "height problem". I'm not much taller than you and I never had any problem with the ladies. None at all. And if you ever get into a fight with a bigger guy (which you should avoid regardless of your height or the height of the other guy, if possible... it's not civilized) then just fight dirty.

Get as much exercise as you can and have a great diet. Nature will do what Nature feels like doing with you. You can't really change your genetic code... not yet.

12. Da Man

Da Man Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to grow taller, get more sleep. You more rest you get, the more likely you will reach you maximum height potential.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

A personal trainer once told me that lifting heavy weights is a no-no for people below the age of 18. Said the bones dont grow if you put too much pressure on them.

I dont know if its true or not.

Rockets-R-Us, just because something is "all-natural" doesn't mean its safe. There are alot of supplements that are all natural, but your body will not be able to handle the extra amount you are taking in with a supplement.

14. Mack

Mack Member

I understand the legs, but why break the arms? Proportion?

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

I agree with the weightlifting before 18 thing. With regards to the growth thing, where are the before and after pics?

16. FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon Member

The best to and easy way to get taller is to wear a taller shoes, or maybe tell your mom that you wana be taller next time when you're born.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Some people always told me swimming is the best way to grow taller.

One does stretch and reach alot in swimming, so perhaps its kinda true? :confused: