1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies Haven't Given Up on Struggling Hasheem Thabeet

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ROX_fan_CT, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/21/hasheem-thabeet-no-problem-with-another-nba-d-league-stint/

By:Chris Tomasson

Hasheem Thabeet hasn't exactly shown signs of being the next Dikembe Mutombo, the NBA's last top big man from Africa. In fact, he's looking a lot more like the next Yinka Dare.

But Memphis general manager Chris Wallace insists he's far from given up on the center the Grizzlies took with the No. 2 pick in the 2009 NBA Draft. Thabeet, a native of Tanzania, was selected ahead of the likes of Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings and well ahead of No. 26 pick Taj Gibson, who so far has been the best big-man pick of that draft.

"I'm not a regrets guy,'' Wallace said. "I don't think he should be put in a dead-letter file. That's extremely premature for that.''

Still, it's stunning how little the 7-foot-3 Thabeet has shown in his two NBA seasons. If you thought it was bad last year for Thabeet, who averaged 3.1 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.31 blocks for the Grizzlies during a campaign that included a stint in the D-League, look at this season.

Thabeet's numbers are down to microscopic figures: 1.4 points, 1.3 rebounds and 0.57 blocks. Yes, his minutes have decreased from an average of 13.0 to 8.7, but all his key statistics per minute are down significantly.

"It's really difficult,'' Thabeet said about living up to expectations of being the No. 2 pick. "I'm here working out. The team knows where they are with me. I'm just doing my job. I don't really have an explanation about the question I get every day. I put myself in this situation so I got to deal with it. But to be part (of the NBA) is special, and I'm happy to be here.''

Say this for Thabeet: he has a great attitude.

When word came last February that he was being sent to the Dakota Wizards of the NBA D-League, an unprecedented move for such a high pick, Thabeet didn't complain in the slightest. He averaged 13.8 points, 11.2 rebounds and 3.17 blocks in six Dakota games.

" I wouldn't have a problem. I just want to play ... I don't want to be the guy that's hanging around. I want to play. So if they call me out there, I'll go out there. Now, I'm here so I've just got to do my work."
    -- Hasheem Thabeet on the D-League Now, Thabeet said he would accept it willingly if the Grizzlies decided again to send him to the D-League. He's eligible since teams can dispatch players in such a manner during their first two seasons.

"I wouldn't have a problem,'' Thabeet said about going back to the D-League. "I just want to play ... I don't want to be the guy that's hanging around. I want to play. So if they call me out there, I'll go out there. Now, I'm here so I've just got to do my work.''

Wallace said there are no immediate plans for Thabeet to again pack for Dakota, which provided an experience last season he said "helped me out a lot confidence-wise.'' But Wallace wouldn't entirely rule it out as an eventual possibility.

"I do think that he has improved,'' Wallace said of Thabeet this season, despite his scoring, rebounding and blocks averages all being down more than 30 percent on a per-minute basis. "He's practiced hard and his strength and conditioning are better. Unfortunately, he hasn't gotten a great deal of playing time this year. We see so much small ball in the NBA, which has resulted in (6-9) Darrell Arthur getting a lot of time (off the bench instead of Thabeet).''

It was encouraging for the Grizzlies against Charlotte last Wednesday, when Thabeet had eight points and three rebounds in 14 minutes. But in the next game at Houston last Friday, Thabeet didn't have a single point or rebound in 15 minutes.

The 2009 draft marked the year of the point guard, and one can see why the Grizzlies decided not to select one of the many top players available at that position. Memphis has fourth-year man Mike Conley Jr., who has continued taking steps toward being an upper-echelon point guard.

But teams usually blow it when drafting big guys for need rather than taking the best player available. And that's what's happening with the Grizzlies.

"They're nowhere near what I want them to be, but I don't get as much playing time,'' Thabeet said of his statistics. "But I believe in working out every day to get better.''

Say this at least for Thabeet: his 2.7 career scoring average is higher than the 2.1 Dare put up in four NBA seasons with New Jersey after the native of Nigeria was taken with the No. 14 pick in 1994.

Chris Tomasson can be reached at tomasson@fanhouse.com or on Twitter@christomasson

2. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

He looks like a clown on stilts running up and down the floor... dude has the most awkward, uncoordinated running motion in the history of organized sports.

I don't think he'll ever do amount to anything in this league... he should have pursued a career in a traveling circus, or maybe the WWE. He's a sideshow act.

1 person likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That Yao Ming guy does, too.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

#2 pick big men seem to have this trend going for some reason.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ehh...I think Memphis being Memphis has a lot to do with it. Thabeet won't live up to his number 2 pick, however he can be very solid starter in the league. With players as big as he is attitude is 75% of the equation.

I hope DM gets him at a bargain basement price.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of Desagana Diop's career.

I think he'll struggle for a while then some veteran players and coaches will turn him into a utility player. "Just grab ever rebound and try to block every shot coming off the bench."

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Thabeet seems like a decent guy. It kind of sucks that he gets ragged on so much. It's not like he chose to be picked #2 in the draft. That being said, he's a complete bust.

8. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I remember my buddy, a big Thunder fan, being scared to death that Thabeet would end up in OKC. He said he'd never been so sure that a guy would turn into a bust. Of course, Harden hasn't been tearing it up, either.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Maybe we can get him straight up for YAO's DPE. It depends on what others team can offers i guess. I think a lot if teams will make a call to see Memphis wants in return.

The Rockets could have made something of him. And we still can. You Can Do It Morey!!

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bust. Bust. Bust.

Wallace's choice of words says it all. His use of faint praise is devastating.

Here is where the problem may lie: He's just happy to be where he is.
    Having a "great attitude" and being "happy" while being a complete failure isn't the way to succeed in the NBA. Whatever upside Thabeet has is tiny. Maybe he can guard inbounds passers at the end of games.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trade him for our Trade exception, he would thrive in Houston...

DD

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thabeet just looks mentally confused and physically one step slow on the court all the time.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Shawn Bradley.

Sam Bowie.

Hasheem Thabeet.

Hmn, you may have something there.

14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Translation: we'd hardly get anything for Thabeet right now...I cant trade him until he shows flashes of.....something

15. drc3906

drc3906 Member

Wow, that's a pretty trashy thing to say. Parents didn't teach you much character, did they?

The guy has been in the league two years. He still has time to grow (skill wise). Not saying he will make it, he may not, but he still has time.

16. BasketballMind

Hayes is a much better defender than him w/o blocking shots. Is Thabeets deal expiring? That's the only reason I'd think Morey would trade for him... Get him then extend him cheap for a couple years. Otherwise, more salary for an undeveloped player.

17. BasketballMind

As of now, he definitely isn't worth his contract.

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

says hi

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think the guy just needs to play consistent minutes. I watched him come from the d-league last year and he played pretty well. This year, he's back to sporadic minutes and its not helping his development at all.He needs to play 25 minutes or so with a defined role which is blk shots and rebound, his offense is a bonus. If the griz cant do that, trade him or send him to the d-league and let him play there.

1 person likes this.
  20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Off the top of my head --

Alonzo Mourning
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Antonio McDyess
    Elton Brand
    Tyson Chandler

All seemed to turn out ok.

1 person likes this.