1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Griffin for Snow?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leroy, Jun 23, 2003.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had heard here in Austin this morning on 1300 KVET am that there was a rumor circulating that Griffin would be traded for Eric Snow. They didn't mention any sources, but it was during their news break and not just a topic of conversation.

I think this could be an interesting deal. We get an extremely tough, pass first point guard and get rid of Griffin before he totally flames out. Yes, Snow has had some injury problems and I would assume the Rockets would have to take that into consideration first. But, he's been to the finals, would be used to playing with a 2 guard that commands the ball (Francis or Mobley), and should be able to still get Yao his 20 shots/gm.

Feel free to lock this up as I just realized it's been posted...

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Ugh...I'd wait <b>at least</b> one more year before doing that trade. Trading young and tall for old and small is usually not a good idea.

4. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

No, i will not make this trade. Griffin is a futute talent and we already gave then kenny thomas. The rockets better think right or else they will loose another star. Give him a year.

5. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Not unless we plan on bringing in Elton Brand.

7. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

I like Eric Snow and he would be a nice and tough addition to the ROX, but I would not make this move for Eddie Griffin right now. I would like to see Griffin under the tutledge of JVG for a season and see how he performs under a defensived minded coach. He is only 20 years old, can you say Jemaine O'Neal? Dont you think Portland wishes they had not given up on him so so soon? :D

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

from the Morning Journal (right down the bottom)

The University of Texas' T.J. Ford has everything you look for in a top-flight point guard, with the exception of size.

At this point in the game, there's very little Ford can do about that.

He's a shade over 6-foot in shoes and weighs 162 pounds. He's roughly the size of Allen Iverson, which is tiny by NBA standards. However, Iverson gets by with uncanny quickness and agility. Ford appears to be in Iverson's class in athletic ability.

''People have their own opinions,'' he said. ''If that's someone's opinion that I can't play because of my height, then that's fine. I know what I'm capable of doing. I don't really worry what people say.

''Just because you don't have the height doesn't mean you can't be an important player to the team. Growing up, I watched Isiah Thomas, Spud Webb and they did well and it made me just want to do well. As this process goes on, I want people to see me make this transition well, like an Allen Iverson did.''

He admits it's become a driving force to his game.

''It drives you all the time, any time someone says things that are negative,'' he said. ''But fans have the right to say what they feel. I respect their right to say what they feel. But I know what I believe in and I know how I feel inside.''

The second major flaw on Ford's resume is his shooting, or lack thereof. He shot 40.6 percent from the field in his two years with the Longhorns, 22.8 percent from the 3-point arc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that opposing defenses will sag off Ford and make him beat them from the perimeter.

''I know I'm capable of shooting the ball well,'' he said. ''I showcased it this season by putting up some numbers in a lot of different games, but my game is not just scoring. I get my teammates involved and just go out and have fun. That's not my game to just go out and score. My form was just off and I had to get in the gym and correct it.''

But there's no getting around his leadership qualities and his will to win. He took the Longhorns to their first Final Four appearance since 1947. Ford, 20, won the prestigious Naismith and Wooden awards as College Player of the Year.

He's watched Nets point guard Jason Kidd take his team to the NBA Finals in each of the last two seasons. He hopes to have that kind of impact on whatever lottery team selects him Thursday.

''You would hope to have an impact like that, be that successful that fast,'' Ford said. ''I know it's going to be hard taking it to another level. Guys are much bigger, stronger and older than I am, so I'm going in and, hopefully, whatever team drafts me, the older guys will help me make it through the transition.

''I play to have fun, and I want to make sure everyone on my team has fun. We started playing the game because it was fun, and I don't want anyone to take that away.''

He envisions himself going against the top point guards in the NBA.

''I picture myself playing against all of them, every point guard,'' he said. ''I know it won't be an easy task for me, and I know I have to be ready for it. You have to be mentally ready to play against competitive people like Jason Kidd. They are veterans who have more knowledge than I have and I have to try to learn from them.''

Kansas senior Kirk Hinrich (6-3 3/4, 186) will likely be the first senior and next point guard selected.

The Jayhawks made it to the championship game before losing to Carmelo Anthony and the Syracuse Orangemen. Hinrich is under the impression that his successful college career can't hurt his chances in Thursday's draft.

''Hopefully, it helps,'' he said. ''A career should speak more than an hour workout. I think it is still important to have a good workout when you go in, and all of them have been good so far. As far as my experience at Kansas, I think that does help. Those teams want to win and players want to be part of winning.''

The Sioux City, Iowa, native stacks up very well against the other point guards in the draft. His agent guarantees he'll be a top 10 pick.

''I think I match up really well -- my size and strength, the versatility,'' Hinrich said. ''When they break down the pros and cons, I don't think there are many things that they say I can't do.''

Whereas there are major concerns about Ford's shooting, Hinrich is one of the best in the land. He shot 49.3 percent from the field in his four-year career at Kansas, as well as 43 percent from the 3-point line (235 of 546).

When asked about Ford's size, he quickly piled on.

''It might be an issue,'' he said. ''The NBA is a game of matchups, and they try to take advantage of mismatches. If you are a liability out there, it could hurt your team.''

Ford, though, led the nation in assists as a freshman in 2001-02 (8.3) and was third as a sophomore (7.7). He averaged 12.9 points in his two years.

The third point guard with apparent star quality appears to be Oregon's Luke Ridnour (6-2, 176). He also had a chance to be a lottery pick.

Rumor mill

- Scouts love high school center Kendrick Perkins' work ethic, big body and soft hands, but one Western Conference scout said, ''the biggest problem with Kendrick is that he lacks explosiveness around the basket, and in this league, you have to be explosive. Look at Amare Stoudemire. He's explosive. Kendrick isn't, so there are a lot of guys who think he's going to struggle to establish himself in the league.''

- Kansas point guard Kirk Hinrich is on the rise because of his outside shooting. One team that worked out Oregon's Luke Ridnour was disappointed with his lack of athleticism.

- Another prep standout, forward Ndudi Ebi, is built like a soda straw. However, he's so athletic, someone is sure to give him a look.

- There's definitely a place for perimeter shooters, such as Wisconsin guard Kirk Penney, a native New Zealander who can really stroke the 3-pointer. Others to keep your eye on are Creighton's Kyle Korver, UCLA's Jason Kapono and Utah's Britton Johnsen.

- The Rockets and 76ers have talked about an Eddie Griffin-for-Eric Snow deal

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This is the type of trade that, if made at all, would be made when your team is right at the cusp of something special. If your something special is the 8th seed, then I guess you might like this idea.

10. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

The Rockets two biggest needs are a starting point guard and a starting veteran power foward. So if Trading Griffin for Snow allows the Rockets to use the exception on a guy like PJ Brown or Alonzo Mourning and Van Gundy thinks he can get one of those two guys then I'm all for it. This team needs to win now, they cannot afford to wait on a 19yr old uninspired kid. Plus this is not a bad move for Griffin, I am sure he would be really stoked to go back and play for his hometown. This is just a good move for both teams, imo.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Could the Sixers throw in a #1 or something? I'd do it then. Would they take Moochie off our hands?

As for the Griffin/Oneal comparisons, I don't know. Eddie doesn't look like he has much fire in him. Very docile.

So a starting line up of :

snow/francis
    francis/mobley
    mobley/posey
    Mourning or Brown
    Yao

Not bad.

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I'd love to get PJ Brown...But hey, why start Mobley at 3? R u dumb?

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Nope. I just thought maybe we can go with a 3 guard line up, I don't want to bench Cuttino really. He or Posey.

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I take it. This is why.

We lose on this trade ONLY IF GRIFFIN BECOMES AN ALL STAR. I haven't seen sufficient flashes of light, much less brilliance, that suggest Griffin will achieve stardom. His skill set and size are there, but there is a long list of gifted athletes that wasted or never lived up to their potential in the NBA.

What bugs me about Griffin is that he does not have slightest clue about what to do with the ball when he gets it. Granted, he doesn't always get put in the best position to succeed, but he should show SOME level of comfort or confidence with the ball. Most of the time, he treats it like he has never seen one or like its a freaking grenade, and heaves it toward the basket or a teammate as fast as he can.

If Griffin becomes an above average PF, it's a draw. The two hardest positions to fill are Center and PG. Snow is a slightly above average PG, which is roughly the same value as an above average PF.

If Griffin is an average or non-starting caliber PF (which he happens to be right now), we win big time.

The desireability of this trade is heightened by the fact that Snow would complete our 3 guard rotation, and permit us to move SF to the 2 and Mobley to the bench or just bring Snow off the bench. While not a terrific scorer, Snow would cut down on the stupidity factor on the Rox perimeter and would provide high quality perimeter defense. The upgrade that Snow would provide over Norris is galactic, while the decline in production between Griffin and Tmo does not seem so great. In some ways, Tmo would be a better fit because he has a better shot and is more physical.

Snow/Francis/Posey/Taylor/Yao as a starting 5, with Mobley, Rice (or Boki) Tmo and Cato as primary backups would form a competent 9 man rotation.

15. x_trepidation_x

In the history of the NBA,

You hardly win by trading away a potentially great big for a small, who in this case is an average point guard at best.

16. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Dawson would not do this silly trade... if this goes down this is b/c of JVG from the NYC to the 123.

If this trade goes down, does frumpy polo boy feel:
    a) that Eddie isn't going to cut it.
    b) that Steve at the point isn't going to cut it.
    c) that a backcourt of Steve and Cuttino isn't going to cut it.
    d) all of the above
    e) none of the above
    f) b and e
    g) a and d

This is the most asinine trade possible, but perhaps we are not looking at the larger picture.

What subsequent moves would be made were we to lose a pf? O'Neal is a pipe dream. Bosh will be gone w/ the Miami to Houston pick. What will happen? Is Rob really a lawyer? Is that girl Paige 12 years old? What is going on?

17. Houstone

Houstone Member

How about this three way trade?

To Philly: Eddie Griffin, Latrell Spreewell, Othella Harrington
    To Houston: Eric Snow & Keith Van Horn
    To NY: Glenn Rice & Cutino Mobley

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cuttino Mobley for KVH? No thanks.

19. rox99

rox99 Member

I heard this on Philly Sports Radio 610. But the host said it was not going to happen.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No. Please. Thanks.