1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gregg Hoffman, Saw Producer Dies at 42

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsPimp, Dec 6, 2005.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051206/ap_en_mo/obit_hoffman

LOS ANGELES - Film producer Gregg Hoffman, who developed an eight-minute film into the horror hit "Saw" and its gory successor "Saw II," died unexpectedly after complaining of pain. He was 42.

Hoffman died Sunday at Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital, where he had been admitted after developing neck pain, his business partners said. He died of natural causes, according to a news release from Lions Gate Entertainment, which distributed his recent films. An autopsy was planned.

Hoffman and his partners at Twisted Pictures financed the low-budget films "Saw" (2004) and "Saw II" (2005) and stood to reap millions of dollars.

The first film cost about $1 million to make, opened over Halloween weekend last year at No. 3 at the box office, and grossed more than $102 million in DVD and box office revenue.

The $4 million sequel, released just before Halloween this year, ranked No. 1 at the box office in its debut weekend with $31.7 million in receipts. It has made $86 million in six weeks, according to box office figures released Monday.

The movies center around a sadistic serial killer called Jigsaw who devises intricate games to get his kidnapped victims to kill each other.

"We've won the lottery," Hoffman, a former Walt Disney Co. executive, told the Los Angeles Times in November.

Hoffman began working for Disney in 1995, rising to become a senior vice president of production and earning a producer credit on the family comedy "George of the Jungle" (1997).

He joined Koules and Mark Burg at their management and production company, Evolution Entertainment, in 2003. Soon after, he saw the eight-minute clip about a serial killer called "Saw" and proposed making it into a full-length feature. The original story was by James Wan, who went on to direct the feature "Saw," and Leigh Whannell, who starred in it.

"He discovered this movie, brought it in and talked us into making it. He was the driving force behind it," said Oren Koules, one of his Twisted Pictures partners.

The "Saw" films' success led to multi-picture development deals with Lions Gate and Dimension Films. Hoffman was working on "Saw III" and "Crawlspace" when he died.

He is survived by his wife, Lucienne; two children; his mother; and a sister.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I doubt anyone Saw that coming. :eek:

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Member

+

Saw I/II were two of my favorites too. :(

4. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Member

ah crap there goes Saw 3

5. Faos

Faos Member

What "natural cause" causes you to die at 42?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Failure to continue breathing? :)

7. Mr. Brightside

crack?

8. A-Train

A-Train Member

being struck by lightning
    getting crushed by a falling tree
    landslide
    drowning in any non man made reservoir
    bear attack
    eaten alive after falling into a giant ant bed

...really, there are practically an unlimited ways to die naturally

9. Faos

Faos Member

I guess I meant what natural cause caused the pain he felt in the neck?

Blood clot?

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

I kinda laughed at that...my bad...

11. macalu

macalu Member

Jigsaw got to him for not appreciating what he had.