1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Great Time to be a Comic Book Nerd] WB and DC ramps up their movie schedule

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by steddinotayto, Oct 15, 2014.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

That movie was excellent. I was really surprised about the part with Harley Quinn and Deadshot getting it on.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm actually looking forward to a more serious tone of superhero movies. Don't get me wrong I enjoy Marvel's campiness but it's good that DC won't be pushing the same type of product out there. I'm glad they're taking a risk to make their movies different and not just have their stuff appeal to mainly kids.

3. 713

713 Member

Will Green Arrow make an appearance in any of these films? I love Arrow.

4. So Good

So Good Member

5'11" is short? Comparably to Affleck for Cavill. He's only 2 inches shorter than Cavill, which would make sense.

Let's give it to at least the trailer before people overreact to castings.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This Lex [​IMG]
    Versus
    This Lex
    [​IMG]

Rocket River
    In all honesty Eisenberg looks more credible than I initially thought
    Not overly impress with his acting though
    [yes i know this is photoshopped]

NO to these
    [​IMG]

6. LCII

LCII Member

I gotta agree. Marvel's done a very good job of casting well liked, popular actors as superheroes in their movies. DC is now trying to emulate Marvel, but I don't think they'll be as successful.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Well if you say so :rolleyes:

Fact is, Marvel has gambled on their castings and it has paid off. There shouldn't be any doubt as to whether these new DC movies will make money because they will. They just need to be good.

I was skeptical at first with the Affleck signing but I've slowly come around. Cavill wasn't bad either.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/45712/20141013/batman-vs-superman-movie-wonder-woman-is-a-demigod-ben-affleck-was-chosen-because-of-his-stature-producer-confirms-video.htm
    Having a Batman that is physically imposing is something that character has needed in a long time.

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Btw, anyone seen anything Ezra Miller has been in? How is he?

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno. Marvel Seems to have taken some B Listers and pushed them into being A Listers

RDJ is probably the biggest star they plucked
    His star was rebounding but not completely back to the top during Iron Man 1

next biggest is Scarlet . . .

Ed norton was a 'get' but only after trying it with Bana [not a A-lister at the time IMO . . though I like him alot as an actor] and he did not hang around

Seems DC is following that trend in getting BEN to be the RDJ type Anchor of the group . . . but Cavill and Gadot are not every day names . ..

Rocket River

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

?

Michael Keaton
    Jack Nicholson
    Danny DeVito
    Michelle Pfeiffer

DC did it before Marvel would rethink casting Dolph Lundgren as the Punisher

Then they casted a relative unknown name Christopher Reeve as Superman.

Point being: casting has always been geared towards named actors and actresses; Marvel's not the first player to do so.

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I think they should hold off on Suicide Squad, have some of these villains actually show up in some other movies, but I guess they're hoping they can pull a Guardians.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

If Ezra Miller can pull off the Flash, it would be one hell of a performance. Somebody must not like the Flash.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Aquaman doesn't look like in the comics either
    I wonder will they blond it

Rocket River

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Hardy, Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Gosling rumored for Suicide Squad. Apparently WB had made offers according to Latino Review

Tom Hardy as Deadshot? Yes please.

15. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Honestly this whole thing feels rushed and like they are trying too hard to match Marvel, which they won't be able to do. We might get a gem or two out of these but I am not excited about any of them really.

Marvel has been great about getting good talent behind their films. Joss Whedon is one of the best, the Russo brothers were an absolutely fantastic find, and James Gunn is awesome and did a fantastic job with Guardians. I'm not so sure about the talent behind these films. I'll admit Snyder has some cool visual flairs, but I don't trust him at all, Man of Steel was absolutely awful. I would put someone more talented behind your biggest films (hell, let Ben Affleck do it, he's got the most directing talent of anyone attached to any of these). And Goyer needs to just get away from all of these films. David Ayer is hit or miss also. I'm curious to see who writes and directs the others, but their choices so far haven't been great (besides Nolan with the Dark Knight trilogy, but thats a seperate thing)

1 person likes this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree with you, but from a business standpoint they have two options: (1) Guarantee Marvel's perpetual dominance by being cautious and measured or (2) Go nuclear which could result in spectacular failure, great success or somewhere in between.

I believe this is just an announced plan with little meat on the bones. The main goal is PR to get people talking about DC's universe. They can't allow Marvel to hog all the limelight. If Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad don't do that well, this master plan will be pared back.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

All the Marvel movies are blockbusters. These films are always cast like that. I haven't seen Guardians yet but none of the Marvel films have been interesting. It's mostly Lethal Weapon with CGI.

That's DC problem for big studios. Their best films and source material isn't merchandise pushing PG fare.

The Burton & Nolan Batman films
    A history of violence

Even Man of steel. My only gripe with this MoS was it wasn't a good Superman movie. A decent superhero movie but not Superman.

I would love to see a Swamp Thing movie based on Alan Moore's run.

If DC wanted to do something more commercial Fables could work.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

I'm the opposite. I like Marvel's campiness provided it stays true to the source material. Fantastic Four can be considered campy, but it's nowhere near the direction of Marvel produced movies in the last 5-7 years. The weakest of the series would be the Thor movies.

I would say the analogy would be similar to the Disney movies of the 90s where under the direction of Katzenburg really churned out some classics. I think Marvel has a similar guiding influence that allows "B-list" actors to work with a "blockbuster" type movie because it's more about the soul and craft that staying true to the formula, which in turn seals a diehard base that licenses assume is the only bottom line.

Both Fox and Sony have mostly farmed their licenses and made it a crap cash grab. I think Days of Future Past would've made more money if Last Stand wasn't total ****. Seriously, they should quit hiring directors who don't even like the comic. That Hulk movie by Ang Lee? The big reason why Marvel is making hand over fist is giving fans what they want or have grown up with over the years.

As for DC/WB, I don't think they've figured it out. While I do appreciate the more serious interpretations of Superman and Batman films, I don't think it really captures the comic books at all. It's more like some really good source material then you add "realism" to it. Oooh a postmodern psychoanalytical critique of the "man behind the mask"! Like I was really thinking about that all the time when Batman solved a really hard crime with his mind rather than letting the batcave computer serve as plot delivery device in the midst of his personal drama.

It's pure bull**** how directors masturbate over their artistic impression of the license rather than cranking out an inspired interpretation of a character that has spanned several decades. Writing this, I'm convinced the Marvel movies are wildly successful because they made the heroes who have deep impression with the fans through the comics come alive the same way in the movies. That takes work and devotion that might not necessarily translate to big bucks. The only instant appreciation would come from geeks like me, and geeks like me generally b**** and moan about everything.

So that's the power of a license. Once you sell it, whoever owns it can do whatever they want with it.

P.S. Green Lantern seemed to be built on a good premise, creative direction from the comic writers (not serious too!), but it suffered the lack of soul that whether you agree with Marvel's movie appeal, you at least know it's there. That was a movie I really wanted to like...

#38 Invisible Fan, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014