1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Education Governor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Dec 7, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

According to US News and World Report, only 39% of Ninth Graders in Texas can expect to make it to college. That's 43rd in the nation!!!

Whoohoo, I'm pumped for the next four years!!!

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

2. mc mark

mc mark Member

Subject: Moral Challenge: What Would YOU Do?

Here is a toughie.

You are in the Midwest, and there is a huge flood in progress. Many homes have been lost, water supplies compromised and infrastructure destroyed.

Now, let's say that you are a news photographer out getting still photos
    or a news service, traveling alone, looking for particularly poignant scenes. When what do you come across but George W. Bush, who has been swept away by the floodwaters. He is clinging on to a tree limb for dear life. You can either (1) put down your camera and save him, or (2) take a Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph of him as he loses his grip on the limb.

So, here's the question, and think carefully before you answer the question below:

What lens would you use?

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Al Gore invented the photograph.

4. Danilo

Danilo Member

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Member

I do blame Bush for this, the same way I blame him for unwed mothers. Bush is notorious for sneaking out of the governor's mansion at night to have sex with teenage girls. And during the day, he would sneak into ninth-grade classes and teach poorly.

RM95, can you clarify the finding please? "Expect to make it to college" can mean a great number of things. Does it mean they won't be able to afford it? Does it mean they won't be able to gain admission (highly dubious)? Does it mean they come from a blue-collar background and are more interested in becoming an auto mechanic than a rocket surgeon?

Finally: where did Arkansas rank nationally in education in 1992...? Just curious.

6. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Mmmmmmm Sour Grapes!

------------------

7. TB3

TB3 Member

You MORONS who don't acknowledge the fact that we have unique education problems because we border Mexico are either stupid or completely biased.

You cannot compare Texas to other states which don't have to handle illegal immigration, cultural differences, or multiple language demands in public schools.

So, in conclusion, formulate a more logical argument or SHUT THE HELL UP! [​IMG]

------------------

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Right, pointing out that a someone who runs as an education candidate, but his own state is very close to the bottom in education is just sour grapes. What the f*ck ever.

Kagy, I don't have the magazine with me, but I'll post the entire thing tonight.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

9. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Of COURSE the governor of the state is the SOLE reason for this problem...You don't think that they are other factors that weigh into where Texas ranks? Oh of course not this is a Cut and dry black and white issue and 100% Bush’s fault. what the f#ck ever. Get over it.

Algore couldn't carry his home STATE, if he had you wouldn't be shotgunning can after can of Welch's Sour Grape Soda right now.

Again answer the question Kagy posed. What was Arkansas' rank when Bill Clinton went into office? Were you crying about the education system and the next 4 years then or are you a hypocrite.

------------------

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No, I'm not a hypocrite. I'm sure that there are many factors that go into this ranking and others, but I didn't run for President under the guise of this great education leader when my state is near the bottom of the list in education. I don't care where Arkansas was in 1992 (someone point me in the right direction where I can find this information, and I'll look for it, but it's really not relevant to this thread, at all). I also don't recall Clinton running while harping his education record. Nor do I recall Bush running as the guy whose state is better than Clinton's state in 1992.

You're right, if Gore would have won his own state, he would've won. I don't have sour grapes though. I had these same concerns before the election, and just happened to read the latest US News and World Report last night. Sue me if they had this statistic in there after the election.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

11. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Member

Arkansas certainly ranked poorly in several education indicators when Clinton ran for President in 1992 (Clintonista arguments at the time were that these indicators improved during his tenure, and that the groundwork was laid for future improvements. Bush supporters could make that same claim about Bush's education record today in some areas.)

However, let's compare apples to apples (i.e. let's compare the one stat that RM95 cited in his post -- ninth graders attending college):

From the New York Times dated April 1, 1992:

Since Mr. Clinton first became Governor, Arkansas has managed to cut its high school dropout rate slightly. Now about 77 percent of all ninth graders go on to complete high school, as against 75 percent a decade ago. That is better than the national average, which hovered around 72 percent over the period.

The improvement in that statistic resulted in good part, educators say, because Mr. Clinton imposed a regulation that has proved effective in a number of other states, too. Teen-agers who do not remain in school through graduation lose their driver's licenses. More Arkansas high school graduates are going to college. In 1979, only about one of every three high school graduates went to college. Today, half of all Arkansas high school graduates go on to college. That is about equal to the national average. Many use a college scholarship program instituted by Mr. Clinton.

------------------

12. mc mark

mc mark Member

Ask a teacher in Texas what they think of their pay or the state of education in texas.

I'm sure you'll get a glowing endorsement of the job. [​IMG]

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

13. TB3

TB3 Member

No, you are not a hypocrite- you just don't know what you are talking about.

It was none other than Teddy Kennedy who complimented G.W. Bush on the positive progress Texas has made during the last few years. Bush, with the help of Texas Democrats like the late Bob Bullock, demanded that Texas public schools be held accountable for their performance.

The question should not be- where does Texas rank nationally in education?

The question should be- how much has Texas improved recently?

How interesting it is that before W. said he wanted to be a candidate for President records numbers of minorities and Democrats supported him as Governer of Texas.

Once W. declared himself as a candidate, Texas Democrats turned on him and started to lie about Education and Environmental issues. This turn around, at the expense of the reputation of our state, is sickening.

------------------

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Bang up job so far Dubya.

I love people who can take praises, but not criticisms.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

15. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Member

Actually, Al Gore won his home state in a landslide. He got 85%; Bush got 9%; Nader got 5%. See for yourself:

http://www.dcboee.org/htmldocs/11-7-00.htm

[​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by wrath_of_khan (edited December 07, 2000).]

16. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Khan, when did the DISTRICT of Columbia become a "STATE?" I guess I need to update my antiquated "50 Star Flag" and get one of those new 51 star United STATES flags. Thanks for the heads up! [​IMG]

What a surprise that Algore carried DC, those people want to keep the Demo's in power as long as they can, and who can blame them, they simply want job security. More Democrats for the most part means more government jobs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ty_Webb (edited December 07, 2000).]

17. Danilo

Danilo Member

Actually, according to Bush's own website:

"African-American and Hispanic eighth-graders in Texas ranked 1st and 2nd in the nation in writing."

We've known for a decade that Texas people of color are academically more advanced than the rest of the countrys colored people, yet at the same time you blame Texas education problems on being a border state w/ Mexico?

---
    "This is a unique time in American history." -- George W. Bush

[This message has been edited by Danilo (edited December 07, 2000).]

18. TB3

TB3 Member

OK, you have presented a statistic from Bush's website. Am I supposed to read your mind now to find your conclusion?

------------------

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Maybe because he was too busy running on that middle class tax cut.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, it amazes me that he was the first president to ever promise something and not do it.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com