1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grand Theft Auto 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BoyhoodDream, Jun 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

Hey you guys, I am sorry if this has been asked already. But i just bought GTA3 and and works horribly on my computer. It is extremely slow, has wierd forms of pop ups and the image is not clear. Now my computer isn't a piece of crap either. It's a 1.7 ghz computer with a brand new video card. Can anybody help, or should i just return this game.

Thanks,
    BHD

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

ewww... weird.. what gives... anyone?

I was going to buy this game, currently on sale at Best Buy and Circuit City for $34.99!

hmmm.. sounds like it's time to scour the web for info on this game

3. rockHEAD

found this...

link

google search

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I would suggest trying it at a resolution of 640x480 if you have not done so.

If that doesn't work, then start tweaking your video and sound settings downward.

I had performance problems on a 1.4 Ghz playing Counterstrike at 800x600. I turned down the resolution to 640x480 and my problems went away.

I was thinking about buying this game as well since people can't seem to stop talking about how great it is.

Surf

5. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

ok guys, thanks for the help. I lowered my resolution and turned tweaked some of the display options and it seems to be working much better. It may not be perfect, but it's good enough. :)

6. rockHEAD

I still wanna buy this game, but I would DEFINATELY need to upgrade my video card... time for some ATI Radeon shopping!

7. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

You should play this game on the PS2 for the maximum enjoyment.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Have it for PS2 its so badass, i think if u have a fast computer though, the computer game will prove to be better overall, but not my much i wouldnt think.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i've had it on the ps2 for awhile now but my neighbor bought the
    pc version a couple days ago and it is a good bit better. if you have a fast computer you can make the screen like 1600x1200 which pisses all over my version. plus it's easier to aim with the mouse. either way though it's fun as hell.

10. rockHEAD

in the PC version you can upload your own MP3's and play them during the game!! that's cool...

link to a review of the PC version

11. rockHEAD

aw man! I just got this game the other day! I love it... I love being able to jack cars and run over people and go nuts!! I haven't gotten past the third assignment, something about someone muscling in on some ho's or something... I completed the first two and I stole a sportscar from a showroom, then immediately wrecked it!! I love the personal MP3 feature! Forgive me for sounding giddy, but this is honestly the first time I've ever played this game! Rockstar Games did a damn fine job and I had no idea they were from Georgia (near Russia!) they also created the Max Payne game! sweet....

My system runs this game with just a tiny bit of lag, but I've got a crappy onboard video card and PIII-866, the game runs fine. I did however purchase a RADEON 7500 64MB video card on eBay for , get this.... $80!!! The video card has an S-Video out, Digital Video out (for my flat screen) and of course, regular video out! It also supports dual display!!! I can't wait to get this card and install it, I'm gonna be a GTA3 and CS playin' fool!!!

:cool:

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

this is a exceptionally cool game.
    I got it a coulpe of days ago, and still haven't been able to solve the slow-mo prob. My machine is up to spec (PIII-933/328M/32M NvidiaTnT2/7200rpm HD/Win2K) but when the activity on the screen increases, the action slows way down. The picture is still clear with no choppiness, but it looks like the guy is running/driving thru molasses.
    I've tweaked with the display and audio settings in the game, but it still does it.

Anyone found any tweaks to solve this sort of problem?

rockHEAD, have you tried the mission to go after the Triad guy in Chinatown? They keep taking me out b4 I can get to him...:eek:

13. rockHEAD

I got a lot of help from alt.games.grand-theft-auto, this link is direct to Google Groups, maybe they can help. If you use newsgroups at home, subscribe to this group. I got some info last night about changing some settings including reducing the slide bar for one of the distance draw settings or something... and turning a few other things off...

I haven't done the Triad mission yet. I'm still getting used to driving and the learning the keyboard and gamepad controls.

Oh, there are also some good GTA3 websites with forums!!

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I was just perusing this after I posted b4...I'm not afraid of looking for info...was just hopin someone had an idea..:)

thanks for the tip tho....

I especially love goin homicidal and driving down the sidealks....just splat ...splat...guy flys over the windshield...splat...

Fun fun...:D

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This game is awesome! I just discovered you can shoot people while doing 100 down the freeway!