1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grammar/spelling opinion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yonkers, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

If someone uses "your" instead of "you're", or "then" instead of "than", etc, do you consider that improper grammar or improper spelling.

I think that's improper spelling. But some will argue that they're spelling those words properly. My argument is that they're not trying to spell those specific words. They're trying to spell another word and just so happen to spell it in a way that creates a properly spelled word.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Your username is misspelled -- you left out the 'i' -- it should be Yoinkers.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I'd say grammar

4. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I think when your looking at it you can say that its grammatical rather then spelling

6. what

what Member

I think that grammar police on a bbs website are sad individuals. I know a lot more about grammar than most people here, but most of my posts are littered with poor grammar.

In college, my English department offered two grammar courses to undergraduates: practical grammar and introduction to linguistics. Most of the aspiring English teachers took practical grammar because the course taught the dos and don'ts of grammar.

The linguistics course was a different animal; it was more concerned with theory from a historical perspective, sentence mapping, etc. For example, most people who took practical grammar wouldn't have a clue what a modal auxiliary is, nor would they care to know. The same goes for noun phrases, verb participle.

But to answer your question, it's tricky to know for sure. Since "your" is the possessive form of the word, it isn't clear to me that the offender would know he or she were trying to form the contraction "you are." About as deep as they are thinking about the word is that is SOUNDS right, so it must me right. But it could just be a typo.

You know this issue also touches on the idea of prescriptive vs descriptive grammar. If somebody writes your the reason god made Oklahoma. Semantically speaking, I doubt anybody gets tripped up with meaning, so WHY isn't your the acceptable way to right the sentence? Because prescriptivist tell us it's unacceptable.

But consider this: tonight used to be written as to-night and there are many more examples of how our written stylistics have changed to meet the needs of the general public. If you dismiss my example because you think a contraction is different, consider the fact that: I ran for mayor, I ran from the police. In this instance the same form of the word is being used in two completely different ways.

7. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wouldn't say they're improper per se, but rather impolite.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

[​IMG]

10. Win

Win Contributing Member

I would go with improper spelling. The context of the sentence points to the word that was meant to be used.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Fascinating. Thanks for answering.

12. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Agreed. Its a spelling mistake, not a grammar mistake.

More precisely, its a spelling mistake that resulted in a sentence that was not grammatically correct.

#13 durvasa, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

15. Damion Laverne

An annoying spelling mistake.

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I see what you did there....

Isn't there some broad catch-all category called USAGE or something?

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

The correct spelling is "grammer".

Your welcome.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Grammar. Nails on the chalkboard of my vision.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Grammar. There's a difference between knowing how to spell something and knowing when to use it properly, and it's not even close if you just don't know that difference.
    ^^^ these is a WEINER state meant. :eek: ^^^

20. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

grammar police would get mad at the use of google before it was allowed