1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade moreys moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Nov 12, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Member

That's not true. That money could have been better spent elsewhere. Plus, the Rockets had to pay cash and a 2009 second round pick just to get rid of him.

I thought at the time, like most here, that it was a solid acquisition. In retrospect, it was pretty bad.

2. leebigez

leebigez Member

I think he's done a good job so far. He's had hits and misses. His grade will become clear in the the .ext few yrs in this roster. I do know this, La is the king kong of the west and with the improvement of Bynum, he needs to build a team that can beat them. Portland is young and isn't going anywhere and Sa is Sa. GM's are judged on playoff success and so far, we haven't had much. I guess we will see.

3. durvasa

durvasa Member

I know this is fantasy stuff at this point, but how do you think our current team matches up with the Lakers if they had Yao and McGrady healthy?

4. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Low risk-High Reward..

Money was not much, and could be used on another player possibly in the same position as Francis... I mean look at Cook, he's making more than Francis was making and hes chillin on the bench.

Didnt gain or lose anything, but a 2nd round pick which wasnt much..

5. Jordan16Htown

Jordan16Htown Member

so i think he is a good pick up??.... ok u fail then! :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Getting rid of Alston was a stupid move. Now we have a reckless, three point shooting SG with no mid range game playing the PG. As soon as Alston left, so did what little Brooks had of a mid range shot.

Keeping Mutombo after Yao went down with an injury in 2008 was stupid. Mutombo could barely play 15 minutes and everybody knew Yao was injury prone. Without founding a legitimate replacement this team was destined to fail if Yao went out with an injury again (which of course happened).

Landry and Scola were steals.

Keeping Shane after year two was not logical.

Not having a second mid-range guard or small forward outside of McGrady does not equate.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Rafer alston sucks. I cant believe he stuck around so long.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You should watch this team called the Houston Rockets sometime. They are pretty good and fun to watch

9. leebigez

leebigez Member

Better than in yrs past, but we still have no one to guard odom except tracy and no one to check gasol. Kobe isn't as big of problem as some may think, but gasol and odom are.

10. redao

redao Member

As soon as Rafer left, Rockets started winning more games and passed first round. Rafer was so bad that we have to take Cook for parting him. Morey did the right thing.

Rafer should have been traded right after JVG was fired though.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They were up 2-0 twice. In the mavs series they had to win 2/3 home games and they just chocked. I think yao+tmac just can't do it.

12. LCII

LCII Member

Brooks might not be the best 'pure' PG out there, but he is a heck of a lot better than Alston at scoring the ball, which was what we needed around Yao. Now that Yao is out, it's interesting to see some of Brooks apparent weaknesses, although he's working hard to improve those areas, I'm sure.

If we still had Alston in the Portland series I'm not sure if we would've won. Brooks absolutely owned Blake in a few of the games.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

Just my own opinion Durvasa, I think the rockets still need to add a big time shotblocker to go toe to toe with the Lakers ect. Yao isn't enough

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is true that Francis didn't pan out and the money could have spent on a better choice.

However, the "low risk" thing is not just about the cost up front. The key to Morey's operation, I think we can slowly grasp now, is one word: flexibility. Low risk means you do not get stuck with some bad player or bad contract. Low risk means you can easily correct something if you make a mistake.

Artest was a good example of a low risk deal. It was low risk not only because we gave up little to get him, but also because we wouldn't be stuck with him hampering out future development if he did not work out.

It is impossible to be error-free in this business. You can predict how a player's impact will turn out only to a certain degree, even with Morey's advanced scouting system. Being a smart GM, you have to be able to keep your potential mistakes correctable without costing too much. I think Morey has done a pretty good job in this regard.

15. ibm

ibm Member

but now we've got ariza... :p

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Interesting, Tracy did a great job holding Odom to 5 for 15 shooting on November 4, 2009. He's much better at guarding Odom than he is at guarding Jamario Moon.

17. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Small ball, I like it

18. bigrub

bigrub Member

exactly

19. bigrub

bigrub Member

mutombo was better than what was out at the time plus we still had chuck who isnt doing so bad this season, shanes not my favorit player i seriously think we got screwed in the trade morey should be in jail for landry and scola, alston is a decent pg but couldnt cut it lowry is by far better and if im correct thats what we got n return and ab has flourished since honestly take lowry out put alston back in the team wouldnt crack 90ppg

20. hjg877

hjg877 Member

You provide no reasons for it. Saying someone "sucks" is a silly opinion that no one is going to respect. Clearly you're young.

Ryan Bowen was a hustle pickup beloved by Van Gundy; he provided little offense, but was respected for his role.

David Andersen has played in how many NBA games?? What were your expectations for the guy, to replace Yao?

Young man, you are delusional and a terrible critic.