1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade moreys moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Nov 12, 2009.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

If Dorsey is an epic fail then we might as well give Morey "epic fails" for Maarty Luenan and Brady Newley. That brings Morey up to 7 good/7 bad/1 inc. He should just stop drafting in the 2nd round because it's killing his average. We expect 100% good players no matter what their draft position.

2. ibm

ibm Member

agreed. great insight.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think dorsey sucks, but it was a 2nd round pick so it didn't deserve an epic fail. Most 2nd round picks get at least a few minutes on the court.

4. durvasa

durvasa Member

The Rockets have had pretty good depth in their front court the last couple seasons with Yao, Scola, Landry, and Hayes. A lot of those 2nd rounders that get minutes are playing on bad teams.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Really? You don't think turning Vassilis Spanoulis into Luis Scola was a home run? Or drafting Aaron Brooks when everybody around here wanted one of the crappy bigs still on the board? Or drafting Landry in the second round? Or drafting Budinger with the 44th pick? I'd call all of those home runs.

6. durvasa

durvasa Member

Scola is a great role player. A championship-level role player. That was a great move, maybe "a double" is selling it short, but I think of a home run as acquiring an all-star level talent.

The jury is still out on what Brooks, Landry, and Budinger turn into. They are potential home runs.

7. ibm

ibm Member

if scola isn't a home run, then the other names ain't likely to be, either.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A few strikesouts maybe, but probably a few walks too. We don't really know how many bad offers he turned down.

So far, Morey is hitting more like a lead-off guy than a clean-up guy, getting on base, getting to scoring position. We are still waiting for that big swing that drives home a big score.

9. ROCKETrobert

ROCKETrobert Member

Morey is only one piece of the puzzle. The coaching staff also has alot to do with the success or failure of a player. Coach Adelman is a great coach. He and Morey work well together. I think he deserves some credit for getting the most of the players as well as the GM.

10. LCII

LCII Member

Agree with durvasa...no HRs yet. But Morey hasn't been given a lot to work with (No lotto picks, no real tradeable assets...). If Morey can somehow trade T-mac for some decent assets in return, that'd be a grandslam in my eyes.

His most impressive moves so far is converting Alston into Lowry and obtaining the rights to Scola from the Spurs.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Scola, Brooks and Landry are all CLEARLY home runs.

Scola: we gave up a useless second round pick to bring back a 15-10 guy.

Brooks: late first round drafting is a joke at the best of times, but here's a scoring PG who is probably a '2nd tier' PG in the league. (I still remember the draft comment: "shocking pick by the Rockets" - as in dreadful... oops!)

Landry: to turn a second round pick into a rotation player is ALWAYS a home run.

I'm flabbergasted that we've got $40million on the sideline (that's $14million less than the entire payroll for the T-Wolves this season), and yet somehow we're still 5-3 and at the top of our division.

Then you look at the Ariza deal - for mine that's a big win; how often do you bring in a wing who can score 18ppg with 4apg for the MLE? (perhaps it's more often than I think?)

Moves like Francis + Barry were low risk moves that didn't pan out. In Barry's case I'd say it was a fail simply because we could've done without that $2million on the books for this season! Barry was a guy that Morey had been determined to get for a few years, so he went out and paid 'market value', or probably higher, to get a guy who was no longer a contributer at NBA level.

But a $2million 'fail' in Barry isn't much of a stain on his copybook. No big deal bringing in cheap, short term contracts if they don't work.

As for anyone suggesting that Dorsey could in any way whatsoever be a fail?? The guy was a 2nd round pick that was a throw in on the whole drafting and trading of Batum... a free pick becoming a fail :confused: It's a win that he even drafted him in the first place - that whole draft day deal was a BIG win.

1 person likes this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Landry, Scola, brooks are doubles or triples. Homeruns would be a guy like joe johnson or steve nash. A grandslam is lebron, kobe, wade.

I think CD was more willing to go for HR (drexler, barkley, pippen, francis, grifin mcgrady), but in the process struck out a bunch.

13. Jordan16Htown

Jordan16Htown Member

David Anderson EPIC FAIL!!!! i think ryan bowen was a better pic up...... really!

14. hjg877

hjg877 Member

By far one of the dumbest posts I've read on this site.

=========

How can all of you guys be so critical of Morey's moves? Do you not realize he doesn't have the salary cap flexibility that other teams have? With the limitations and challenges given (injuries to the two highest paid players on the team constitute MAJOR challenges), he's assembled a team that's winning when, on paper, it has NO BUSINESS doing so.

The media overlooks this team. Because there is no star. Barkley said this would be the worst team in the West. Because there is no star.

Which players are keeping this team competitive? All of Morey's.

Some of you are beyond pathetic. I can't imagine how bad this team would be if Morey wasn't the general manager.

15. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Good thread. I was thinking of creating one myself.

In Morey I trust, but no Gasol/KG or even Billups level home runs yet and there're a few mediocra at best moves(which is perfectly fine as nobody can avoid those totally).

16. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Member

He will get his chance in the D league very very soon

17. RocketMania1991

I believe Morey has done a great job with this team, but he should truly be graded within the next 2-3 years, as these will be where his biggest moves as a GM will be made.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, I think you take into consideration what was given up to acquire the talent. For instance, if we now gave up Scola, Brooks, Landry and Budinger to acquire a single all-star talent - that might not be a home run. But gaining Scola, Brooks, Landry and Budinger for next to nothing all qualifies those as home runs for me. I mean, at the very least - the guy was walked but stole his way to third.

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

All you need to know when grading Morey's moves is that the only active player on this roster that was drafted higher than #24 is Shane Battier.

20. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Member

Here is what David Anderson has to say about your epic fail....
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35og1Ha1q8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35og1Ha1q8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>