1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gore's daughter to seek office?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockHEAD, Apr 4, 2002.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

[​IMG]

Gore's daughter hints she might seek office

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Karenna Gore Schiff, the eldest daughter of former vice president Al Gore, hinted Thursday that she might follow in her father's footsteps and seek political office.

"I really love grassroots politics," she said in an interview with CNN. "I care a lot about issues that other people do: environmental protection and health care and education. And it was such a privilege to be able to talk about those things out on the campaign trail in 2000. So I don't know if I'll be a candidate, but it is something that I wouldn't rule out."

Schiff said she would most likely run in New York where she now lives. "I do feel like it's home," she said. "When I vote I vote on the basis of New York issues, and I support local candidates in our city and in our state. So I feel politically oriented to New York right now."

Schiff, 28, emerged as an important adviser in her father's 2000 presidential campaign. Married to a doctor, she is also the mother of two young children.

click for complete article from CNN

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

Married to a doctor, she is also the mother of two young children.

Why was that at all worth mentioning?

Maybe she can be a boring sell-out like daddy.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why is that not worth mentioning? It's just basic background info that you hear about anyone.

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

You don't generally see the job description of male politcians's wives. They might say he has a family or something...I just thought the "married to a doctor" part was odd. Not only in the context, but just to start the sentence like that.

Oh well...

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ah, gotcha.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, I never saw, "Clinton is married to wife Hillary, an attorney..." or "Bush is married to a housewife."

Of course, the media has the tendency to do fashion reports on women as well. I recall reading an article about Hillary at a fundraiser in which the newspaper described her wardrobe (including shoes) and jewelry but never once mentioned any of the men in the story's tuxedos.

It could be that newspapers are making the assumption that women are interested in such details, or it may very well be a throwback to an earlier time in journalism. Hmmmm...where did I put that AP Stylebook? :)