1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good deal on a desktop?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately I needed a new computer like last week ... I debated between desktop and laptop too long I think. I use this computer for everything -- work (from home), home, ClutchFans, etc. I'm being told this is a deal given to me at cost by a friend of a friend, but it's been 5 years since I've gotten a new computer. No monitor on this (I have a 17" LCD a couple of years old) so I assumed it would be cheaper, but not sure really how much the dual cores run. This can also be ready for pickup in 2 days, which is a huge plus.

This look like a good deal to you? Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks for any help.

Minitower Chassis
    3.4GHz Dual Core Processor
    2GB DDR2 Memory
    1.44 Floppy
    250GB SATA Hard Drive
    512MB PCI-E Video Card
    DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe Technology
    Integrated Audio
    Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Firewire Card
    Internet/Multimedia Keyboard w/ Optical Mouse
    MS Vista--Ultimate Edition (Option for XP Professional listed below)
    System Assembly, Test & Burn-In

Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Item       Description                      Qty    Price     Amount
    [CUSTOMPC] CUSTOM PC              	      1
    CS-7100A03 MATX/300W/USB2.0/BLACK             1
    MB-AC945GD ASR/I945DVI775/GLAN/1066FSB/MX     1
    CPUPD-945B INTEL DUALCORE 3.4G 2X2MB          1
    CP-PC1GR25 MAJOR BRAND DDR2 1G 533MHZ         2
    FD14-MITB  MITSUMI 1.44MB/BLACK FLOPPY        1
    HD-250WDSA WD 250GB/8MB/SATA HD               1
    VC-X1300P  X1300/512MB/DVI/TV-O/PCI-E         1
    DDW-DW1655 BENQ DW1655 LIGHTSCRIBE BLK OE     1
    IO-FWPCI   FIREWIRE 2P/1394 PCI CARD          1
    KB-EU2508C EU MULTIMEDIA KB/BLACK/SLIVER      1
    TX-BD69BO  AO OPTI.(USB)/WHELL BLACK OEM      1
    SW-VSTULT3 WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE DVD         1
    -ASSEMBLE2 Assemble Sys. W/Operating Soft     1
    -BOXL      AOPEN SHIPPING BOX     	      1
    -MESSAGE   ______________________________     0
    -MESSAGE   FOR DOWNGRADE TO WINDOWS XP        0
    -MESSAGE   PROFESSIONAL DEDUCT $56 FROM       0
    -MESSAGE   SUBTOTAL.                          0

Sub_Amt:     965.50
                                                    Freight:
                                                        Tax:      79.65
                                                      Total:    1045.15

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I am positive you can get a better deal than that WITH a brand new 19" LCD from Dell. I'll post details later if noone else does since I'm kinda busy right now.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I only have one thing to say. Dual monitors.

Once you have dual monitors you will never want to go back. Especially if you code and test a lot which I am sure you do. It is very worth it.

4. A-Train

A-Train Member

What company still puts floppy drives in their computers?

5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I don't think you're getting a very good deal. Here's a computer with similar specs at half the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Loaded-P4-Dual-Core-3-4-G-PC-ATI-256MB-video-160GB-HD_W0QQitemZ260079811772QQihZ016QQcategoryZ140076QQcmdZViewItem

The cost difference is over $500, and the only main difference between the two is 512 MB vs. 2 GB memory. The 2 GB RAM should only increase the price by about $150.

Also, you may want to upgrade the processor to a Dual Core 2. They offer much better performance than the Pentium D's at a very affordable price.

6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

At first glance, this looks like a gaming rig. And that's pretty much all that white-box builders build and sell these days. So do you really need that much raw power?

Also, how long is your friend going to warranty this thing? If there's a power surge, and everything gets fried, will he replace it? I sincerly doubt it. I wouldn't.

Get a computer from a big manufacturer with a 3-5 year warranty.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

9. francis 4 prez

while i'm looking to get a laptop, i just had a few general questions about computers and don't wanna start a new thread.

is the core 2 duo the best there is right now? and if it is, why are they only like 1.83 GHz, which i guess is 3.66 GHz. my laptop is over 3 years old and has a 2.4 GHz pentium and it wasn't even the best you could get? shouldn't we have advanced to 6 or 7 GHz by now?

also, on the processors, it has a number like T5500 or T5200, what does that mean and are higher or lower numbers better?

on the RAM, they list something like 667 MHz for the speed i guess. what's considered good for that speed?

and finally, i'm not really a gamer, but i like Civilization IV and can't even come close to playing it on my laptop right now. would any GeForce video card make it playable, or would other specs be necessary to get it to play. or is it hopeless to get it to play on any laptop i would pay for (~$1000).

edit: oh, and is vista gonna suck? XP's never crashed on me and has been great and i'd just as soon get another computer with XP if vista isn't going to be any good.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Damn you guys are good :)

Thanks for the input ... I really don't need it for gaming, but I do run a lot of applications at once so I assume I could use a lot of RAM (2 gigs). I do coding primarily, but Photoshop, SQL Server, 50 Firefox tabs, etc. I wouldn't mind eventually watching Rockets games through the computer also.

I had been checking fatwallet and hoped to see Dell do an end-of-quarter deal, but didn't see it like I hoped. $100 more or so doesn't bother me for the right machine, but $500 is up there... I'm looking at some of the links you guys provided and comparing now.

11. Highwire

Highwire Member

Dell has a promo now for only 999, you get the same config PLUS a 20" widescreen monitor.

How's that?

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Member

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very interesting thread in that link. Thanks. I have to admit to getting lazy. I would love the performance ot some of those suggestions, without having to build it, lol!

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Dell Small Business has some good deals on Desktops AND Laptops today. I would say that if you do Photoshop (which I should have known, duh), you want to go with lots of RAM and a good video card as well. Of course, you can add both of those in later, if you want to save money now.

I can't answer the more detailed questions; I stopped paying attention to little niggling details a few years ago. I'm more of a big picture guy now when it comes to computers. I can tell you that the core 2 duo is the best out there right now.

Simulation games like Civ IV don't need heavy graphics power, but they DO need lots of processing power. They are calculating millions of things a second depending on what you do with the game. So a more powerful processor and more RAM will help with that.

I believe that Vista won't suck...there's just no point in it. It uses way more system resources, and older programs won't work on it. So why bother?

15. Uprising

Uprising Member

I agree with the others who said go for the Core 2 Duo, I have one....it's awesome.

This is what I built about a month ago for roughly $1150

Code:
    Processor: 	
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs)

Motherboard:
    Asus P5N-E SLI

Memory: 	
    OCZ DDR2 800 ---2046MB RAM

Hard Drive: 	
    (2) Seagate 120 GB

Video Card: 	
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Power Supply:
    OCZ SLI 750 watt 

Case

DVD burner etc....

#15 Uprising, Jan 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  16. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Member

You can always find some college kids to build it for you. I have many friends who does that for 200 bucks or less. They will build it, overclock it, and install any pirate softwares that you need. And if you take them out for a beer, they might even throw in a couple gig of p*rn for free ;)

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Based on that, you could get away with just about any video card that they sell. So if there's a 256 MB option, I'd go with it.. just cause it seems like you won't really need the 512? (just don't get anything motherboard-integrated, though that's not easy to find anymore it seems like)

18. Chopped

Chopped Member

whenever one of my buddies need a new computer this is the list i always give them.

19. sammy

sammy Member

20. Highwire

Highwire Member

do you have a RIDICULOUS AMD box config?