1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to Maui

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by H-TOWNSFINEST, May 16, 2011.

1. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

I just found out I'm going to Maui with my parents as a graduation/birthday present next week. The downside of it is being there with my parents but hopefully it won't be too hard finding some lady friends to chill with. I wanted to see if any of you fellow Clutchfans had any advice on things to do, places to eat, nightlife etc.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Front Street in Lahania is pretty cool, it's where they have a lot of bars, stores and what not. Only downside is everything closes pretty early, even the bars

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I went on a cruise with my parents, and had the time of my life..So that wont be a problem for you...The same way you want to get rid of them is the same way they want to get rid of you!!!...Believe that!!!

Places to eat:Hawaiin girls
    Things to do: Hawaiin girls
    Nightlife: Hawaiin freakin girls

But congrats on the graduation

1 person likes this.
  4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

I recommend the trip to Hana as well, long tour but very cool.

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Member

Congrats!!! I finally graduated from college last year, and my aunt got me a cruise to Cozumel for my gift. We're actually leaving this Thursday (5/19)! Even with all the bad crap that's happened to me the last month, I'm pretty excited about it! This will be the first time I've ever been out of the country, and the closest thing to a "vacation" I've ever taken, unless you count the trip to see the Rockets play the Lakers in LA I won at a Rockets game.

I hope you have a great time, enjoy it! Sorry I couldn't give any real insight for the trip.

Pugs

1 person likes this.
  6. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Thanks Pugs, Cozumel is a very nice place to visit. I've been there twice. As far as nightlife goes Senor Frogs never let me down, thats where I had the most luck finding girls my age. Depending on how long your there and what else you have planned, if you get a chance there is a place on the eastern coast of the island (opposite from where your cruise boat will be) called Coconuts Bar & Grill. The bar sits on a cliff overlooking the water with an awesome view and they have really good food and drinks.

I had a badass time both times I went so I'm sure you will as well.

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

lol.

Insider secret: Hawaiian girls don't like tourists. His best bet is scoring with a drunk chick visiting from Des Moines at one of the bars. Or hang with Forest Gump.

8. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Yeah I just saw a few pictures online and think I'm definitely going to have to check it out. How long was it? Like an all day affair?

9. boomboom

Supporting Member

If you don't stop and take a picture of every waterfall you run across, it should take about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Also...I don't remember there being anything more (eating-wise) at the end of the road outside of a small market store...so you might want to bring some extra snacks/food. The seven pools are also pretty cool to check out.

If you guys get a chance to do some snorkeling or scuba diving, I highly suggest taking the trip out to Molokini. It is incredible.

Maui is probably my favorite Hawaiian island, almost a virtual tie with Kauai. My wife informed me the other day that she wants to move to Maui (as opposed to her home island, Kauai). My response was...I'm down.

10. Uprising

Uprising Member

Go to this cove. It's amazing. The beach area is stones, but the sea turtles come into the cove. It's all coral reef etc, lots of fish... octopuses, sea turtles etc. It was my favorite spot.

http://goo.gl/maps/k1JB

11. AB423

AB423 Member

Lol what? I'm going on a cruise that day too, Carnival right?

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Whatever you do. BEWARE THE CURSED TIKI NECKLACE!

(and make sure your pantsuit is nice and starched)

[​IMG]

13. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

I'm staying at the Wailea Marriott. Anyone been there?

14. Brad

Brad Member

Wailea is a nice resort area. They film a lot of movies and television shows there and it is generally where the stars stay on Maui. There are several resorts close together that share the same beach area. There are upscale restaurants at every resort, but if you don't want something quite as pricey just drive down the road 10 minutes to Kihei. Kihei has a lot of restaurants like Maui Taco, Eskimo Candy, Stell Blues, and Cafe O' Lei. There are some decent bars in Kihei as well. If you want to snorkel there is a partial crater across from Wailea called Molokini that has a lot of scuba divers and snorkelers. You can also snorkel at Makena which is not too far. Also, Maui's nude beach, Little Beach, is close to Wailea.:cool:

15. flipmode

flipmode Member

i'm visiting Kauai in September - any tips, favorite places, restaurants, beginner surf lessons/spots, things to bring? i'll pm you too. thanks!

16. boomboom

Supporting Member

Hey flipmode...I'll go ahead and post this here so that anyone else interested in Kauai might find it useful (although I think there's been several cf.net discussions of Kauai...I'll rehash as I'm always down for a visit there).

Keep in mind...every trip I've made to Kauai has been under the umbrella as a "family visit" as opposed to a "vacation visit". I don't have a lot of information regarding hotels or resorts...although the one up in Princeville is very highly thought of.

Don't miss list:
    1. Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park - incredible cliff and valley views. You can see all of this by driving...or, you can do a fair amount of hiking (something we've never done) down from/to Kokee.

2. Spouting Horn - southside of the island, small swap-meet type shopping setup close by.

3. Driving along Kauai's northeast and northern shore. This is the area where most of the "rich and famous" people live. Funny side story...I have a cousin-in-law who is in construction on Kauai and they were working on a house that Ben Stiller had recently purchased. One of the changes Stiller wanted was a deck removed...so my c-i-l took all of the wood scraps and used them to build a skateboard half-pipe in his backyard. So I guess you could say Ben Stiller financed his skating obsession. My c-i-l also hits the lettuce many times a day, everyday. :grin:

4. Hanalei Pier

5. Wailua Falls

Stuff Locals Know...
    1. Hamura Saimin (Lihue...noodles house) large local flavor here. My wife loves this place. We HAVE to make multiple visits every trip.

2. Duane's Ono Charburger (Anahola...burger stand). For a normal white East Texas guy who was raised on Texas food, this little gem was a welcomed surprise. My wife loves the teriyaki burger.

3. Polihale State Park (westside...beach) Very secluded beach. Make sure to bring plenty of supplies as there's not really any large stores on the western side of the island. There's also a little shopping area and a semi-neat suspension bridge in Hanapepe. There's also a Kauai Cookie store/factory in Hanapepe also.

These are just some of things I'm pulling off the top of my head. There's tons of other shopping in Lihue, Kapaa and other areas. The island is not very big and you can easily move from one side to the other in about three hours (depending on traffic). The eastern side of the island has horrendous traffic (Kapaa and areas north and south of there). Make use of the Kapaa by-pass road if you're just trying to get around it.

Make sure to drive pretty close to the speed limit. I've found that on all islands, if you look like a tourist and area lead-footed, you will get stink-eye and hear it from anyone within earshot about how you need to go back to the mainland. Other than that, the Hawaiian people are generally pretty friendly.

General shopping...there is a Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Costco in Lihue. The Costco and K-Mart are right next to Kukui Grove mall, which has a number of shops, both local and chain (cough cough Starbucks).

Last trip we made, we had the family hookup with some events that we had never done before. A cousin was working for a charter boat that we took out from the southside of the island and navigated around the western side. It was awesome. At our turn-around point, we stopped and did a little snorkeling...although it wasn't that great due to it being late afternoon (note...if you do this, try to hit the water mid-day so you can see everything). I believe this was the company...

http://www.kauaiboats.com/

Great trip...and while we were able to do this for free...I definitely think it would be worth the money. Was the first time I had ever been on a boat where the dolphins road the wave created by the front of the boat.

We also had a great hookup with an atv tour that took us from Koloa (where Grandma Francis lives...hehe...and btw...Koloa has a great little touristy shopping area and great local flavor markets...Big Save and Sueoka). I think these were the guys we rode with...(edit)...this was the company we rode with...my wife has a "I Did Something Dirty In Kauai" shirt from them...lol...

http://www.kauaiatv.com/

Excellent trip with a mid-day lunch at the turn-around point...which was waterfall/pool area where you could go swimming. Absolutely stunning views.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I come up with more, I'll send you an email. I'm sure I will after I think about it a while.

As for the surf lessons...never took them...and I'm almost positive that we know someone that teaches them. I'll have to ask my wife. Otherwise, probably anyone you find will be just as good as the next. Just make sure to wear sunscreen. The sunlight is much more intense in Hawaii than the mainland.

1 person likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

road to hana? More like road to 'yawna'.. the red sand beach at end of road to hana is kinda cool, but nowhere to stop, and take pictures or anything on the road to hana.. just curves, and rainforesty. a dime a dozen scenery in any town mexico ,panama central america feeling.yawn.

stick with lahaina , stick with kaanapali and take the trip north from lahaina all the way around north tip... goes to one lane at some points, great places to stop and beautiful views and blow holes ( no not that kind) http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/blow_hole.html

make sure to do that trip first before the road to yawna.

for night life I partied at some club/bars in lahaina .. it was mix of locals ,and folks that were visiting or lived there ,and from mainland USA. Lahaina is really the only place where you can do any sort of partying.

Im sure the odd hotel has some places or some local joint tucked away somewhere, but that would require more research, and can be hit or miss what hotel depending on time of year and day of week.

After lahaina is done at late night everyone usually heads north of the town to drink on the beach until cops come. I did this, and hung with some of the locals. They were nice enough although true that some of the hawaiian local guy types can be a little rough. We had some pretty good beach parties north of lahaina after the bars shut, and seeing the stars like that at night drinking it up on the beach can be pretty cool. Lahainas bar scene changes so probably better to look that up ,and see what you can find currently since they change names, and owners all the time. It's all there in that main street area of lahaina.

Went to a luau one time in Maui at kaanapali. Pretty standard.. good sunsets .. kaanapali is where most end up and makes sense. I have been on oahu, kuai,big island and overall my favorite island is maui.

have fun !

18. MadMax

MadMax Member

VAMPIRE MUSICAL!!!