1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to Amsterdam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, May 23, 2009.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bummer about the brewery. I remember going there when it was still actually brewing beer, the tour was great, you got several beers as well as cheese and other goodies in the "hospitality room," and it was free. I went 2 or 3 times a week (made for a great lunch!). Sad news indeed. Just go to a bar and have the great brews on tap.

2. fmp087

fmp087 Member

I hear they have some of the best coffee shops in the world, I could be wrong though.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Ok this is supposed to be a nice vegetarian restaurant:
    http://www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/restaurant.htms?r=1482

If you look at the site there are some other restaurants mentioned, some also have vegetarian food (look for the word "Vegetarisch" which means vegetarian food in dutch).

I hope this helps you.

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Member

I dream of going every single day of my life.

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

I am pretty sure you missed Tulip season, though it's been a while since I went.

Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are fantastic, though I hadn't heard about construction on the latter. IMO must see attractions. On the way to Rijksmuseum, we passed some monks of some sort performing in an enclave near the entrace who had the most hypnotic chanting I had ever heard. I've tried since then to locate recordings of them to no avail. I wonder if they're still there?

The canal tour is also very interesting. When we took it, we were alone and the guy giving the tour was hilarious. The Dutch are very pro-American (I assume this hasn't changed, though I can see where tourist stoners might get on their nerves) and everyone knows English very well.

Red light is interesting if only to see. Right in that area is the Grasshopper ("coffee" shop) which is all near the train station. As someone pointed out, there will be people near the red light hawking narcotics, and it's best to not even respond to their queries with any more than polite and distant shake of the head. This is a slightly more troubled area, from what we saw and have heard (careful wandering alone after hours when near red light/train station). When there, we stayed in the Park hotel near the square (market square?). we really enjoyed it.

We wanted to go to "The Bim" when we were there, which is apparently some after hours alternative jazz/fusion club of some sort, but never made it. I had heard a few mixed stories that made us question whether it was a good idea.

If you weren't vegan, I'd suggest the schwarma which can basically be found on nearly every corner. good stuff. Good luck otherwise, we didn't find the food that appetizing, for the most part.

Coincidentally, I will add that while there, we took a train to Leiden (about 40 minutes by train) to see Mr. Charles Frank Black Francis Kitteridge Thompson IV while there (Pre- Dog In the Sand) , and it was a great experience. I believe the club was the LVC, and coincidentally, he came out in the bar before the show and, while mistaking us for friends of his, shook my hand. It was a cool moment on a very cool trip.

I'm totally intrigued by this musical/play of yours... fantastic musician/songwriter with original and energetic material celebrating an interesting Dutch artist.

What a fantastic experience. Enjoy yourself!

6. Prince

Prince Member

went there 2 years back for the weekend while on a project in the UK. I only enjoyed watching the tulips :)

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Although BJ isn't looking for drugs, for anyone else considering going, I heard from a friend of a friend that went recently that they are no longer selling mushrooms legally. I had a pretty wild time in Amsterdam, but drugs were a totally new experience for me (didn't want to do them illegally in America), so ymmv. The RLD was my favorite part of the city, even if only for the spectacular view.

8. MoretF

MoretF Member

Small World Catering
    http://amsterdam.unlike.net/locations/305777-SmallWorld-Catering
    It's just off the Haarlemmerdijk near Centraal Station, this cafe is quite out of the way but the staff are very friendly and most are working tourists so you can always get some good info on what to do. Plus the sandwiches and salads are amazing. Not very dutch food, but I'm sure most people will tell you not to bother eating Dutch food in Amsterdam when you have so many other amazing restaurants.

If you'd like to blow your budget, I'd recommend a classy restaurant like Toscanini (Italian, so if you've been to Italy it might not be your cup of tea) or for a very classy night out, De Kas http://amsterdam.unlike.net/locations/305998-De-Kas

BTW for sights, of course you should think about just walking around the Nine Streets area in the Jordaan, and finding a nice cafe table in the sun to just hang out by a canal somewhere. When the sun's out, Amsterdam is really one of the most amazing places ever. If you are around there, a bunch of nice cafes include Proust at the Noordermarkt, Cafe de Prins is a fairly central location just off the Dam sqare and Cafe de Jaren has the university crowd.

And if you want a quick tourist trip, a bike tour is always enjoyable. Cycling around in a big group certainly gives you right of way most of the time.

And not to forget the obvious touristy things to do like buying a fresh stroopwaffle at the Albert Cuyp market, taking a canal tour, hanging around the Rembrandtplein pubs, Nieuwmarkt for the post-red-light hangout, the comedy club at the Liedseplein is always quite nice (the routine's in English BTW) and there's a fantastic cafe in the Vondelpark where you can sit and enjoy the music/people passing by.

Amsterdam should be a lot of fun - there are always a bunch of things to do and fun people to talk to. The Dutch are always up for a chat

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Member

Am I the only other guy just slightly disappointed this thread wasn't titled "Looks like I'm going to Amsterdam"?

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Bats had some crappy luck over there... on his FB page he says that he got hit by a taxi and broke his ankle and leg a few hours after landing. He's currently in the hospital waiting on surgery.

Best of luck Batman... hope you have a quick recovery.

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

Damn. Good luck and quick recovery Batman.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Heading to Amsterdam on Monday for 1 night. Any suggestions on where to stay? I'll get there at 3:00 p.m. and leaving at 8:00 p.m. the next day. I'll definitely hit up some coffee shops and experience the night life.

13. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

What you should do is take out your canine teeth, as they are really only in your mouth to chew meat.... Plus if god had meant us to not eat meat it wouldn't taste so damn good........ Plus if we didn't eat cows do you really think anyone would have them as pets... ergo extinct....

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

- insert obvious "just avoid the cab drivers" joke -

15. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Can anyone give me a rough idea how much the "ladies of the night" there cost?

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So by NOT killing cows they would become extinct?

17. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

If they were not killed for food, they would not be bred, ergo extinct.

You think they would all roam free? Herds of wild cows rampaging across the countryside?

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right because so many of us eat Rhinoceros, Giraffe, skunk, armadillo, etc.

19. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Yes, because that makes perfect sense. Well done, I now realise the error of my ways. You're a genius

20. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Member

How is Batman Jones doing?