1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going Forward who should the Rockets keep and who should the Rockets look to trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 11, 2009.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Who do you think the Rockets should look at trading and keeping on the roster. Who do you think needs to be here for the long term and why? I am always for trading anyone that improves the team but here is my take on what the Rockets should be actively pursuing with the current roster.

Rafer Alston - This is kind of a tricky one to me. The one thing I like about Rafer is that he will not back down from TMac or Artest. Rafer needs to be moved IMO but not until we get another quality starting point guard (Kirk Hinrich?).

Ron Artest - I love what Artest has brought to the team. I would definitely not be looking to move him.

Bent Barry - Not looking to move him. He is really heating up from behind the arc and he understands Adelmans offense.

Shane Battier - At the beggining of the year he looked like a nice trade commodity but with the way TMac has played this year he seems more like a neccesity on the roster. I would not look to trade him.

Aarron Brooks - Not on the trade block. I don't see him as my starter but he brings great energy off of the bench and he is at his best when he is aggressive. On top of that he is an outstanding outside shooter.

Chuck Hayes – He is one of the players I would definitely be looking to move. I love Chuck as a player and he is the youngest of the Rockets 3 forwards but he is clearly number 3 on the depth chart among the power forwards as well as being undersized in an undersized front court. He is a respected defender in the league and has more value as a tradable commodity than a little used player on the Rockets.

Luther Head – Another player I would like to see moved. With Brent Barry, the emergence of Von Wafer and Aaron Brooks there is just not much playing time for him. There are a lot of teams that have needs for an outside shooter with starters experience and Luther fits the bill.

Carl Landry – Carl is a player that I would not put on the trading block. He is young, plays with lots of hustle and possesses a lot of offensive skills and he rebounds well. He is a bit undersized but seems to make up for it with athleticism.

Tracy McGrady – Definitely on the trading block. McGrady has been fools gold since day one. I would look to move him to Chicago for Hinrich and Nocioni if the Bulls were interested. Getting Hinrich would allow me to start finding a new home for Rafer and Nocioni would add another small forward to help with the loss of McGrady. The real question here is would Chicago have enough interest in teaming Rose with McGrady to absorb his contract and give up Hinrich and Nocioni?

Yao Ming - I would keep an open mind with Yao. I would not be actively trying to trade him because of his size and skill set but if someon made an offer I would not just hang the phone up either.

Luis Scola – The starting PF would not be on the block, he is the most skilled and posses the most size of the Rockets three power forwards.

Von Wafer – Another player that would not be on the block. Along with Aaron Brooks at 23 years of age, Wafer is the youngest member of the Rockets. Wafer has shown enough that IMO warrants a much bigger look. I would try to lock him up for the next couple of years while he can still be signed at a cap friendly rate.

So to wrap it up players I would be looking to move would be TMac, Luther Head, Chuck Hayes and Rafer Alston (if I can get Kirk Hinrich first).

2. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

they should keep all and trade no one.

reason: it will be very, very hard to find a trade that really makes the team better.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Morey's job is to make the team better....if he can find a trade that does this...pull the trigger....if not, play the hand you are dealt but for crying out loud....take charge of this team, stop letting the inmates run the asylum.

I would look for the best deal for Artest or Tmac.

I think Artest is more easily traded, and if we can get a good PG, like Andre Miller or Kirk Hinrich you do it.

DD

#3 DaDakota, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. xiki

xiki Member

Simple: TMac and Rafer.

TMac to GSW; headaches for headaches (and bad contract) - TMac/Monta Ellis and Maggette.

Then, flip Maggette to LAC with Rafer and Hayes for BD and Camby. (And pay the bloody lux tax [or 'sell' Luther for nada]).

5. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Member

Comments in bold.

6. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

Trade Yao for Shaq or Gasol, everything is perfect.

Shaq is beasting it up again and Gasol is very clutch

7. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

You still can't trade Tmac yet, because if you do, you will basically be throwing this year away. This is the last year of the experiment and I don't think they will trade him. There has been so many inconsistent lineups because of a mind-boggling number of injuries that you can't really give up on the season yet.

Here are the players that need to be moved:

Rafer Alston - shooting 35%. The style of play that we play (feeding to Yao) is not effective if we have 3 players shooting in the 30s percentage wise (other two being Artest and T-mac). Rafer has consistently shot poorly throughout his career and his misses really hurt our play. However, since we only have 2 natural PGs in our lineup, I don't know how he can be traded unless it's for another PG, which would be unlikely.

Luther Head - No need for him anymore with the emergence of Von. He is the most likely to be traded out of the players.

Chuck Hayes - Man, i love this guy. Defense is what made us a great team the past few years, and Hayes has been a big part of that. The reason why we have struggled this year is because of bad defending. When this guy gets playing time, he is relentless on the defensive end. However, if we want to move past the big players in LA, NO, Portland he might be an option to move. Most likely to be coupled with Head if traded. But I really don't want to trade him away because of his unique skillset (terrific, smart post defender).

8. CHI

CHI Member

So TMAC, Rafer, and Hayes for Baron Davis, Camby, and Monta Ellis?

You should be GM!

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

The problem with this board is a lot of the trade proposal doesn't make sense for one of the teams involved.

I mean we seriously had a Luther Head/Chuck Hayes for Anthony Randolph/Marcus Williams trade proposal.

10. bladeage

bladeage Member

Chicago would be stupid to trade Kirk and Andres for old Tmac. We won't be getting jack **** for Tmac no matter how you put it.

11. leebigez

leebigez Member

I don't mean to be a johnson about it, but would it hurt to search and find this same thread created a month or so ago?

12. xiki

xiki Member

If only, if only...

13. The Brian

The Brian Member

haha, nice one.

14. rocketsmetalspd

Yeah right. Gasol is a wus and Shaq is breaking down. He only has good games once a while.

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

If i am the GM, I would try to get rid of Rafer Alston, Luther Head and Tmac.

If we're trading Tmac for a quality PG, then we must get rid of Rafer as well, there is no point of keeping 3 PGs.

I say it before many times, Rafer Alston SUCK!!! Fool can't do much on the basketball court. One thing he's good at is dribbling and ballhandling but that don't turn into winning. He sucks at penetrating and drawing foul...his floater is terrible, he's terrible shooting off the dribble, his shooting from outside is below average. So why the f*** the GM keep him year after year?? Go figure! I mean he shoot anything like Brent Barry, then other shyt don't matter...like terrible floater. But he ain't shooting good....so it's time to get rid of him because he's contributing to the team woe.

Luther Head is just another Rafer without ballhandling skills. But he's definitely a better shooter than Rafer.

Tmac....lazy, unmotivated even when healthy, don't play smart...just a happy jumper...not motivated to attack and try to draw foul, afraid of contact, relax too much, injured prone, not excited, no emotion, no fire.

16. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Those are the 3 I would trade as well. I would take a good quality starting point guard and a quality back up center for Yao for those 3 players. I would even be willing to throw in Dorsey or Hayes although I would be against trading Hayes unless it was the only way we could get what we really wanted from another team. So far we are great in every position except for starting point guard and a back up center. Deke is good but we still need something for the future and someone that can be worked long term into the system.

17. red96

red96 Member

My thoughts exactly. I would like to trade for Kinrich with these 3 and maybe something extra.

18. BasketballReasons

Artest just got here people already want to trade him... :confused:

Orelse, the only guy on the block IMO is:
    Luther Head

19. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

Is it possible to trade some of the fans for a couple of cheese and whine?

20. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Rafer- IMO, sometimes he plays really well and we all love him, but who wants unconsistency on their team? I say trade Rafer HOWEVER, not for another young PG, after all we do need a veteran, or at least somebody that has experience with playoffs and how to run a team. (hard to find, yes i know)
    (half-and-half) Shane- Why Shane? I love Shane, seriously i dont want him to go. But he is so valueable IMO that i think we can get somebody good off of him. If not, keep him for defensive purpose.
    Luther- Luther 'No brain in my' Head. (thats what i call him with my friends). Sure he is a shooter, but sometimes when I watch him play, it feels like i am playing NBA live with my little 6 year old cousin and hes controlling Head. Nuff' said. (but i dont know who the heck wants him)

Tracy McGrady- He was once a beloved Rocket, he was once God (13pts in 35 seconds game) But what happened?!?
    1) Injury- Back Spasams, Bad shoulder, Bad Knee, Fingernail broken, Bad haircut, butt hole stings cuz he ate too many jalapenos.
    2) Lack of Athletism- He was athletic like a long a** time ago, not anymore, he can barely run...heck i want to see him and Dick Bevetta race, i bet Dick will win.....
    3) Mental Problems- Doesnt this remind you guys of when it was his last year in Orlando, him and the management plus teammates? What the f is this, i am going to play one game, than skip one, than play one, who are you to decide dude? Sure you are superstar but isnt it the coach's decision to pick who he wants to play?