1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glen Rice speaks out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ragingFire, Mar 20, 2003.

1. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

March 20, 2003, 1:30AM

Blazers leave Rockets sputtering
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

"To constantly keep doing the same thing over and over -- yeah, you get frustrated," Rockets forward Glen Rice said. "You would think at one point you would get fed up with it and go out there and do what it takes to win. Right now, it's like having a hardheaded kid. You keep telling him over and over. You have to punish him or put him in time out.

"It's ... it's ... it's just frustrating."

Whom do you think Glenn Rice meant by the hardheaded kid? Is it Mobley or Francis or ....?
    Did he say that we should just bench him?

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I believe he's talking about the three stogges.

Steve=Larry
    Mobley=Curly
    Moochie=Mo

nyuck nyuck nyuck nyuck

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

*stooges* : I

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

i have developed a real respect and appreciation for glen rice and mo taylor. everytime i read one of their quotes or see one of their interviews, they have been right on the money with the problems of the team.

preach on brutha rice!!!

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow,

He is right on the money.......I just hope the players listen.

DD

6. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I think Glen is playing well his role of veteran off the court.Though I'd rather he'd say those kind of thing in the locker room.

ALA

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I didn't get the impression he was talking about anyone in particular. He was comparing the team, including himself, in a comparison to a stubborn child.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Glen has said it in the locker room, maybe the team is not listening, so he is going to the press to get their attention.

Whatever it takes !!

DD

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Talk is cheap. I don't see the results from either of them. For example. Rice is only an asset when he is getting good looks and knocking them down. MoT is doing a nice instant 'O' job, true.
    Taylor's next assist may be his 1st, and his next tough stop on D and his next tough rebound, again, firsts?

This team cannot spell 'T-E-A-M'.

All this, and yet if they hold serve (beat GS and Clips, and either LAL or SAP, they will be likely play-off participants.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Too bad he's the only veteran...

I bet most of the youngsters just blow him off and stick to their own game...Street Ball...

GR has been injured so much, that I forgot what kind of guy he is...

He can only talk so much, it's up to Franchise to lead...

:(

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

For the most part, Rice recongizes that this is the case and doesn't try to do anything mroe than he should, the perfect definition of a role palyer. The few times he does try adn do other stuff, as role players occasionally do, he surprises you with a nice drive to the bucket or a post up, etc.

Taylor, while somewhat similar, is looking mroe and more like KT on offense everday, and that, quite frankly, scares me.

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

man, your moniker is appropriate....

rice, this year, has done exactly what his role requires: shoot the open three to spread the floor. you say he's only an asset when knocking down open looks, but, HELLO! that's what his job is!

motay has been playing his role, too. you criticize his passing? have you not watched the games or read this bbs about how he is the most willing power forward on our roster to pass the ball to yao ming? motay's job on offense is not to create. it is to score and to pass to yao ming. as for his defense, he has CONSISTENTLY been our best power forward defensively. he easily leads the team in charges taken, and is the best big man on the team at defending the pick and roll. as for his rebounds, he has been dramatically improving in that area, as well.

when you talk about the team not being able to spell "T-E-A-M", i believe you have targeted the wrong two people. these are role players whose roles are pretty well defined - instant offense and adequate defense...otherwise pass to yao.

if your problem is how many shots they took last night, take a look at the distributors and the coach(es) who put the players in.

like i said, "cheeky" is quite appropriate. "oblivious" would have worked, too.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't think the "hardheaded kid" was meant as a stab at any one player, it was just an analogy...

It's interesting that he says this after scoring one point in 26 minutes. Too bad all our "veteran leadership" can do is hit a few threes every once in a while...Wait, that WASN'T Rice that kept getting left in the dust by Derek Anderson?

Funny, he only seems to provide this valuable leadership when things aren't going his way...

14. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Its tough to get results when you don't get a chance to deal with the problem. Rice and Taylor have played well this year.. the players that need tutoring in the team-concept are the supposed leaders of this team.

Stuart

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be nice if Rice would worry about his own game a little more and keep his comments(accurate or not) behind closed doors.

Rice is a way bigger negative than even Mobes. Rice's play might be smarter, but he can't play anymore. Mobes plays less smart, but he at least has the ability to contribute.

I'm not saying Rices comments aren't on the money. There were some stupid plays against the Blazers, and having Rice's no defense, poor shooting, self on the floor was one of the biggest mistakes. And yes Rice is right it is frustrating because it's the same mistake over and over when he gets playing time.

16. OrangeCountyCA

Rice for president.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

No sh*t. Rice should shut the hell up and let his game do the talking. Doesn't he realize that at this stage of his career he's become nothing more than a overpaid Matt Bullard. Hell at least Bullard made his threes when he was in the game.

18. story_teller

story_teller Member

Oh please! :rolleyes: Glen Rice is PART of the problem on the team. It's not like he's the ONE player playing flawless b-ball. This is the same Glen Rice that complained about not getting close to the same amount of toches as Shaq and Kobe when on the Lakers, while they were well on their way to winning a championship; his first and only 'Ship. I can almost bet you Rice's "critique" of his teammates/team has more to do with him not getting the ball for own personal rewards than it does the benefit of the ROCKETS as a whole. Well, I shouldn't say that....but it wouldn't surprise me, that's all I'm sayin'. And maybe Rice should worry about not being such a defensive liability and doing the OTHER things it takes to win a ball game like getting rebounds, steals, ANYTHING other than having a picnic by the three-point line and WAITING (literally) to recieve the ball. So I don't want to hear about Rice's "veteran leadership."

BTW -- why do you guys always try to read between the lines? Like there's something BIGGER than what's on the paper. *lol* Rice wasn't talking about any particular player when referring to the "hard-headed kid." It's called an analogy...'kay?

19. choujie

choujie Member

I think Rice is frustrated that Rox played the old way again in the 4th quarter, ignoring Yao. It took so long for them to get the inside out game kinda working, and now...

20. story_teller

story_teller Member

But in the event Rice was calling out a teammate, it wouldn't surprise me if he was talking about Mobley.

And for the guy(s) who said they love when Mo Taylor speaks up or something to that effect (sorry I don't know word for word verbatim), give me a break! Mo Taylor is one of the black holes on the team that thinks he's better than he really is. He truly believes he's one of the best PF in the league. How come every opposing team's commentators always rip Taylor for being overpaid, fat, lazy, and a ball hog when playing the Rox? And for the most part this is all true. He is a softy for a guy his size; doesn't want to rub 'bows like other PF's; sometimes he dribbles so damn much I think I'm watchin' a rerun of Soul Train; and don't let me get started on his defense (or lack thereof)! He's a lot like Mobley: he think's he's a number one, number two option @ the very least on any team. The Rockets run too many plays for him and not enough for Yao downlow. And whenever we do go to him in the clutch he seems to always miss the shot or turn the ball over. Don't get me wrong, he's improved his play greatly, but if he said anything about the team as if he's not @ fault...he needs to shut his trap.