1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Give Marcus Morris a Real Chance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MarcusMorris20, Feb 22, 2012.

1. MarcusMorris20

I am a first-time poster here, and I want to make my opinion about Marcus Morris known...since I feel Daryl Morey and Kevin McHale are not giving him a fair shake in Houston.

First of all, you drafted Morris #14 overall knowing full well that he did a majority of his damage at Kansas in the paint, with his back to the basket. Morey went into that draft wanting to get a solid SF at that spot and, from everything he'd seen of Morris, went ahead and selected him...hoping that he'd develop into a nice 3 for the Rockets.

Having said that, my issue with the way Morey and McHale are presently handling Morris is this...

The guy averaged 17 and 7 at Kansas last season playing predominantly down low, and in his 2 stints in the D League this year is averaging 20+ and 10+ per game. If you're Kevin McHale, aren't you the slightest bit curious what he could do at the NBA level? Putting up numbers like that in Rio Grande has got to peak his curiosity just a tad.

Secondly, trying to turn Marcus into a SF without first giving him an opportunity to play PF in the NBA is absurd. I mean, he was named Big 12 Player of the Year while playing in the paint. To just arbitrarily tell Marcus Morris he can't play PF in the NBA is ridiculous. Trying to make him into something he's not (a SF) is doing him no favors and is, in turn, doing the Rockets no favors.

You may say he's falling victim to a numbers game, having Parsons in front of him at the 3 and Scola and Patterson in front of him at the 4....

I say AT LEAST GIVE HIM A SHOT! You spent a lottery pick on the guy. Don't just send him to the D League, let him wither away and collect dust.

*I know he's just been recalled, but I fully expect him to be stapled to the end of the bench...unfortunately. *

As a new member, I'm really curious to read what others have to say about the way Marcus Morris is being handled in Houston.

1 person likes this.
  2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Marcus must earn his chance. That's what Parsons did. If he can beat out Bud and Parsons, the spot is his.

3. YaosDirtyStache

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Parsons earned his minutes. Morris should too.

And from what we're seeing, at least from the D-league, Morris doesn't seem incapable of playing defense but instead uninterested in it. Hopefully that's something that could turn around soon, but McHale emphasizes defense, effort and hustle. If he can demonstrate any of these qualities he'll be getting minutes.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would think giving minutes to Morris at back up power forward could be ok right now. Help us with our lack of interior offense and get him some NBA time.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Marcus Morris may or may not be whiny, but he sure has whiny fans.

7. Rowdy20

Rowdy20 Member

Morris considers, and has always considered himself to be a 3. Yes, he played 4 in college, but it was out of necessity. He wanted to be drafted as a 3, and as such elected to work out as a 3 in pre-draft workouts. It's not just Morey who sees him as a 3. He'll play when he shows that he can do the things that they've talked about needing improvement.

8. The Situation

The Situation Member

Welcome to Clutchfans, Marcus!!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Dude, are you his brother?

And I don't know why you're so pissed he's not playing. He's under contract for 4 years. If he wants to make big bucks after that, he should be thankful the Rockets are developing him, allowing him to eventually play at a level where he can set himself up for life with his next contract.

10. logggur

logggur Member

This is only the second game he's been with the team. They were pretty slow to work in Patterson last year as well. He'll get his shot.

11. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Parsons didn't earned his minutes.Mchale gave it to him.Parsons didn't even show up to training camp on time because of the contract situation. When Morris played minutes in the preseason game at least he was productive and put up 20 in one game.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He can get his shot in practice. If he's good enough then he will get a shot in a real game.

13. crash5179

Actually Parsons was at Training Camp well before the Rockets signed him and he was begging to practice. And how do you know what he showed in practice vs what Morris showed in practice? You can earn your chance on the practice court.

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

really? he didn't earn his minutes? so his good defense didn't help him? His rebounding and performing well in practice didn't help him earn his minutes according to you? but no, of course Mchale just gave it to him. He beat out morris, beat out twill, beat out budinger for the starting nod. Let's not say he was given his PT.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin sure didn't.

I get the general concept of making people earn their PT, but the reverse isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

16. whatupdoc

whatupdoc Member

Probably cause Parsons is Buddhist. His monk powers overwhelmed the front office.

17. rjr

rjr Member

The Rockets might be hiding in the D League until after the trade deadline.:grin:

18. crash5179

How many Jerimy Lin's has the NBA seen in the last 30 years?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin was given an entire season by GSW. He didn't lack opportunity. He was not put in the best position to succeed.

If there's one thing to blame the Rockets, it's that their staff didn't realize how to unleash Lin's full potential. Not that there wasn't an "opportunity" for him. If anything, the Gasol trade probably implied they viewed Lin as backup PG material.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm not bitter about Jeremy Lin; I was just pointing out that it always isn't necessary to "earn" your time as the Rockets seem to make their rookies do. Giving them an opportunity on the court to work through their mistakes can also be beneficial.

There is no right or wrong way to develop a player -- some will work hard in practice and move up, others perform better in game situations on the court and need to work through their mistakes.

The OP stated his opinion as to which he prefers; it doesn't make him wrong or right. Everyone has their opinion as to the best way -- and last time I checked, the Rockets haven't developed any all-stars with their NBDL/off the bench method of development. That's not to say it isn't a solid method -- just that it's not the only way to go about things.

1 person likes this.