1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gilbert opens up

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The CDN Dream, Feb 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Wish him all the best. Hopefully he can come back and contribute.

3. HorneR

HorneR Member

Always liked him.

Hope things work out for him.

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Man he truly understands how people work now. Everyone needs a reality check, now he sees whats real important.
    People are ruthless and unforgiving. I wish the media one day will go through its own holocaust. They ruin every image of every significant matter (not just sports).
    Wish him all the best, and he will always be one of my fav players.

5. arjun

arjun Member

Was and IS one of my favorite players.

Hope he can get out on the court

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Must be nice to get fired and get a $62M buyout.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

this is why i can't feel bad for him.

8. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

I played ball with him a few weeks ago in NYC. He looked good. Definately in shape. If he gets 20+ mins and touches, he'll be a great value play.

9. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

I really liked this response because it relates to what a lot of people on this board discuss
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "On the scrutiny Smith has received for some of his moves, including trading for Arenas last season ...

"In the NBA, there are reality moves and fantasy moves. Reality moves, only a couple teams do reality moves -- New York, Dallas, the Lakers, Cleveland when LeBron was there, Orlando. When I say reality moves, I mean they tried to make their team better. You're going to [expletive] up sometimes, make bad decisions, make bad trades.

"Cleveland, when LeBron was there, they wanted to win a championship so bad they kept trading that team. Same thing with Dallas. You keep tweaking your team. I call those aggressive moves. They know they've got to keep tweaking it until they get it right. I'm not mad at those.

"I'm mad at the fantasy ones. You can tell it's fantasy ones when you hear stuff like this: 'We're in a rebuilding process. We're going to develop our young players.' You know, when you hear teams say that, as fans, you should basically just go and sit on your couch and get that [NBA League Pass]. Because all that means is they suck but the people don't want to say it and they're going to be sorry for a couple of years, so they want you to keep spending the money and hopefully they can try to get themselves out of it but probably won't because most of the teams who are rebuilding always stay in rebuilding mode." "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with his statement and this is one of the reasons why i dont want the rockets to tank

10. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

I had a summer internship at the Verizon Center in Washington DC a couple of years ago, and I met several of the the Wizards at the time. Gilbert was always the nicest guy in the arena. He always spoke to everyone, including security guards and interns. He even shot around with us in the practice gym a couple of times. The year before I worked there he threw a party at his house for all of the interns. I wish him the best, and hope he makes it back on the court. I know, cool story bro. Just thought I'd share.

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

He's a great guy who brought a gun into the locker room as a joke. Can't believe he's crucified for that.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought this thread was about DAN Gilbert opening up on why Stern nixed the Gasol trade.

13. MD_in_Training

Right, except Portland, OKC, Bulls, Clippers, etc.

Once you're in rebuilding mode, you have a shot at being being a contender in the future, but once you're in "treading water" mode, you stay in "treading water" mode.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Great guy, hope he revives his career. Was one of my favourite players in his Washington days, I guess cause of his crazy personality and how he has the same playing style as I have. He always seemed to be a very intelligent and charismatic person in interviews, wish him the best.

15. Asian Sensation

That IS a cool story, bro. Thanks for sharing.

16. SPF35

SPF35 Member

what team do you think this guy is good for? I actually wonder if the current orlando if van gundy will give him rope, New Orleans, San antonio would be intriguing, Portland, Utah. If he is in good shape and feeling like his old self, with the right team, it could be fun to watch.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

A contender packed with vets will pick him for sure.