1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giff Nielsen signing off @ Channel 11

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's a shame he has to go out because of corporate crap like this. The Channel 11 news will never be the same.

Good luck, Giff.

2. DreamRoxCoogFan

that sucks! I met him once, he is really tall. I hope it all ends up working out for him.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was just about to start this thread. My Giff moment isn't that nice, he was a guest on Kenny Hand's (haha, Kenny Hand) show before the Titans/Rams superbowl. he said the Titans should start Neil O'Donnell if they didn't believe in McNair's passing ability. McNair/O'donnell, the Irish duo, hehe. Anyway, I called in and lit into especially since he was a quarterback, how could he suggest benching Air McNair.

Anyway, seems like a nice guy and he responded to me nicely even though I was pretty angry.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

he really has a kickass first name.

5. MONON

MONON Member

Man, that bits the big one! I always enjoyed Giff's sports coverage when we lived in Houston. I'll always remember that playoff game in San Diego when Giff called his own # at the goal line & ran around left tackle for the TD. Pastorini ran all the way from the bench & met him before he got to midfield. I don't know if he was saying "great play" or "what the F**K were you doing".

Anyway Giff, good luck to you & your family. You're one of the good guys.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I actually remember when 11 hired him. I thought it was just a stop-gap gimmick type hire. Of course, I was 14 at the time.

25 years later and he's pretty much a Houston institution. And by all accounts, a really honorable guy.

Good luck, Giff. We'll miss you.

Now PLEASE channel 11....don't let Lucy Noland get away.

7. MONON

MONON Member

If you really wanted an inferiority complex, you should have met Giff and Steve Smith together. Talk about twin towers :eek: well to us mightymites anyway.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good sports anchor, mediocre quarterback but all around nice guy. I haven't seen Giff Nielsen since the late 80's but wish him good luck on whatever he does.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

corporate crap? more like economic crap...cant blame channel 11 for having to make layoffs.

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

You think? :rolleyes: :)

11. droxford

droxford Member

Fixed your quote there, Mr. Keith Connors.

12. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

def a staple in houston and will be missed. but for me, i grew up watching mostly 13 so bob allen and tim melton are my memories of sports moments. however, i do usually hit all three stations for the big events so i get to catch 3 clips. :) of course, before utube days. anyhow, i did see him at the cavs game with bob allen and butch alsador too last month.

best of luck to him!