1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giants Trade Shockey to Saints

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, Jul 21, 2008.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good riddance to a loud-mouthed jerk who is a very talented player but thinks he's Superman. His injury HELPED the Giants in my opinion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3498795

Monday, July 21, 2008
    Saints acquire Shockey for draft picks
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Sean Payton's persistence finally won out. The New Orleans Saints acquired Jeremy Shockey for a second- and a fifth-round draft pick in 2009.

The deal was first reported by FOXSports.com.

The Saints had been trying since February to acquire the disgruntled New York Giants tight end. First, they offered a second-round pick. Before the draft, they increased the offer to a second- and a fifth-round draft choice, but the Giants felt he was too valuable to lose until a few days before the start of their training camp.

As Payton and Saints general manager Mickey Loomis did their last few minutes of office work before heading to Jackson, Miss., for Wednesday's start of training camp, they received a call from the Giants saying that Shockey was theirs.

Even through the weekend, the Saints tried to broker a deal for Shockey. On Sunday, they tried to get in the middle of the Jason Taylor trade to see if there was a way they could make a three-way deal that brought them Shockey, according to multiple sources. Taylor went to the Washington Redskins for a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

Shockey, 28, a four-time Pro Bowler, has 371 catches for 4,228 yards and 27 touchdowns during his six-year NFL career. He grew disgruntled with the Giants because he wanted to be more involved with some downfield passing. The Giants valued his run blocking.

Payton was an offensive coordinator with the Giants during Shockey's rookie season. He caught 74 passes for 894 yards that season.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think they are going to win our division this year. :mad:

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, I said it once and I'll say it again, only a 2nd and a 5th...Who wouldn't be all over that...Say what you will about Shockey, but he can ball...The Saints are much improved after this trade...

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

who is "they" and which division is "our's" ?

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

They as in the Saints.

And our is for me being a Falcons fan.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

were you assuming the falcons would win the division?

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

LOL! :D

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol Hell No, I had the Saints winning the division before this trade even though I hate the Saints. This trade just makes me feel that even more.

I have the Falcons winning 4 or 5 games.

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

What's the over under on Shockey busting Weggie in the media?

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good deal for both teams IMO. The Giants won the SB w/o him and I think this may be an addition by subtraction for them, plus they got good value.

The Saints also picked up another big time weapon. When he's on the field and not mouthing off, there is no questioning the talent and productivity.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He is going to be absolutely huge on the Saints.

12. tulexan

tulexan Member

What's the over/under on when Shockey steals Kim Kardashian from Reggie?

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Brees helped make Antonio Gates a star. What will he do with Shockey? I don't know but I think I'll be drafting Brees for a 3rd consecutive year.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmm, so as far as FF impact goes:

Bump up for Brees and Shockey (since NO passes a lot), with a bump down for Colston and Bush?

15. lpbman

lpbman Member

Recipe for WIN!

Man... I'm pumped. It's going to be really hard to double Colston. Combine that with a defense that might not spend the entire game on the field, and they're going to be a blast to watch.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Is Bush even on anybody's radar?

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

I think this particular move helps Colston since he'll see fewer double teams, and the Saints offseason moves as a whole bump ^ everyone on the offense save maybe David Patten. Meacham should take his spot.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think this is a bump down for Colston at all, in fact this will probably help him if anything. Shockey is a big target that defenses are gonna have to pay some attention to, last year Colston was the basically the only threat they had on offense (Reggie's decoy offense doesn't count :D ).

19. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Shockey in New Orleans could be very interesting. I am talking about off the field, not on it.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Shockey is going to get so many looks in the Saints offense.