1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

German study claims devout Islamic youth more violence-prone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 5, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Berlin - The more devout a young Muslim male in Germany is, the more likely he is to resort to violence, according to a federally financed study seen Saturday by the German Press Agency dpa.
    The study, based on interviews with 45,000 boys and girls aged 14 to 16, also concluded that male supremacist views and a preference for violent videos and computer games link closely with mosque attendance among the young. It compared Christians and Muslims.
    The as-yet-unpublished research was jointly conducted by the federal Interior Ministry and the KFN criminology research institute in Hanover headed by Christian Pfeiffer. Dpa obtained a copy in Berlin.
    In a conclusion, the authors said the finding might be explained by hypotheses of Rauf Ceylan, an ethnic Turkish scholar in German who studies religion.
    They said Ceylan had discovered that a majority of mosque clergy in Germany encouraged their congregations to practice a conservative form of Islam and to preserve their ethnic roots.
    More than half of German Muslims, who make up 5 per cent of the population, have Turkish roots.
    The findings characterised imams or clergy as men working only temporarily in Germany with no knowledge of the German language, preventing them from developing a positive attitude to German culture or from questioning male dominance.
    The study suggested those views were transferred to young people at the mosque, whereas non-devout boys picked up more liberal German attitudes. Pfeiffer wrote: 'This is not a problem with Islam, but a problem with their education in Islam.'
    Contacted for comment by dpa, Ceylan warned the interpretation might be simplistic and said many other factors had to be taken into account.
    KFN conducted interviews in 2007 and 2008 in 61 cities with the aim of detecting how religious belief influences attitudes and behaviour. It found that young people who were intensely Christian were less likely to be violent than the average.
    The study also argued that agnostic migrant children were the fastest to integrate, readily considering themselves as German and aiming for the highest educational achievements. By contrast, only 16 per cent of young Muslims aimed for the highest school-completion certificate.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/n...aims-devout-Islamic-youth-more-violence-prone

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Kristallnacht very likely.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wonder how they defined "devout".

So what are the implications of this study?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What's economic status of devout Islamic youth versus devout Christian youth in Germany?

I'd also like to know what indicators they use to assess how violence-prone a person is.

5. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

hint: you can use your ****ing brain to figure out most of this stuff, not some garbage article.

second hint: I wouldn't worry about Islamic youth nearly as much as a generation of youth that grows up playing war related video games.

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://uscnews.usc.edu/university/study_links_religion_and_racism.html

My only conclusion...

dump religion

AND

[​IMG]

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know. Both do not have to starve, though, and they all have access to the same, free education in public schools (and universities, if they choose to follow that path). There are hardly any private "elite" schools and universities in Germany, almost the whole system is public.

As far as I understood - the answers to the interview questions that were asked.

I don't think they defined "devout". The German article I read about this said that the interviewees had multiple choice - like answers to check to describe how strongly they felt about their religion (I guess something like "I was born into it but I don't really care much", "I pray sometimes", "I go to my church/mosque/synagogue regularly", "....").

I don't think there are any big implications. Maybe an increased awareness for offering more education and integrative offerings. I don't know.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Honestly the research/study sounds like it's riddled with errors in its approach.

I'm sure it's true based on the way the information was gathered, but it does not accurately conclude what the title of the article suggests IMO.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How can you come to this conclusion? They simply cross-matched the degree of proneness to violence displayed in certain answers with the replies to the questions of how strong the religious convictions are.

Result:

The more devout the christians were, the less prone to violence.
    The more devout the muslims were, the more prone to violence.

You remind me of these guys:

[​IMG]

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Very classy of you.

The study doesn't seem to isolate things such as: does the area in which they live contribute to the violence-proneness? Are Muslims less wealthy and are less wealthy people more violent?

These are simple concepts. I'll defer to more experienced people, we must have a couple of people on the BBS who know about this stuff.

But don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for you.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

These might be factors, but they were comparing children in the same classes. Why make up excuses? There seems to be something inherent in what is taught by Muslim clerics in Germany which riles up people, especially young males. The more they are exposed to it, the more prone to violence they are.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

So if this is true, why aren't the German authorities fixing these problems? Sounds like a major failure of the authorities if what you're saying is true.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How can you fix that? There is freedom of religion in Germany. It is basically impossible to control or police what a preacher preaches. If the Muslim clerics preach hate more than let's say Christian clerics, what can you do? Perhaps refuse known hate preachers entry into the country, I guess? How do you suggest that would be fixed?

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Without knowing it, you are assuming that preaching Islam = preaching violence.

Terrorism is not a part of Islam and if someone is influencing people towards terrorism and/or violence, then arrest them.

If this can't be handled, then there need to be laws in place to be able to do so.

Freedom of religion comes to a skreeeeeeeeeching halt when other people's lives are endangered.

Don't blame Islam for Germany's inability to solve this. Regardless of whether it's an atheist or a Muslim, the law should be able to deal with those who preach violence. Freedom of religion doesn't include the right to brainwash children or to make them more aggressive or violent. Just like German law wouldn't allow a satanist to cook a human and eat them (even if it was a religious practice), it should be able to deal with its German citizens who apparently preach violence.

15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Didn't some Muslim pregnant lady get stabbed to death in the German courts a while back. The killer considered her a terrorist for some reason. I think she was stabbed 20 times before someone thought about stopping him, luckily she had her husband there to try to stop it, unfortunately though he was left in critical condition himself.

Sounds like there is a lot of Maulsim hate going on in Germany, I'd love to see a report on that, people there seem to hate a lot of peeps. Aroundtheworld, is this disease of hate affecting you in anyway?(from what I remember you've been living there)

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, that's not what I assume. But as we have heard from many Muslim posters on the board, there are many different brands of Islam out there. Apparently, for whatever reason, the more violent brand gets preached quite a bit in Germany by "traveling preachers" (mostly from Turkey, apparently). I don't know what could be done to fix that.

Yes, this was a terrible case in East Germany which made me very sad. I'm recounting it from memory: Marwa El-Sherbini, a young pregnant Muslim lady was with her child on a playground and some German guy, himself an immigrant from Russia, was sitting on the swings. She asked him politely if he could let her child use the swings. He started using profanity and threatened her and made racist and islamophobic remarks. She did exactly the right thing and called the authorities and they pursued it and there was a court case. In court, she was testifying and suddenly the guy jumped up and started stabbing her. Her husband tried to help her, but got stabbed himself. In the same moment, a police officer who got alerted ran into the room and saw the two men wrestling for the knife and unfortunately shot the wrong guy (the husband), apparently as he was holding the knife that moment and the police officer confused him as the attacker. The lady died from her wounds later.

It is a very sad case, and there have been a lot of displays of solidarity by German citizens with the poor lady. Leading German politicians and representatives of other religions joined in, condemning the act.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They seemed like such a loving couple, and actually a positive example of integration (even though they were not aspiring to be German citizens, I think they were happy to be studying in Germany and they did everything right, going to the authorities, etc., not at fault in this case at all). As I said, I think it is a very, very sad case and I feel very sorry for the nice young lady and her husband. But it was committed by a single perpetrator, a complete idiot, an unemployed loser with no friends who somehow projected all his misery on foreigners/people of other races, and specifically muslims (ironically he was an immigrant himself). I have to say that the reaction of the German people and the outrage over what happened and the solidarity with the young lady and her husband made me more proud than embarrassed. If it was my decision, the murderer should never get out of jail again.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You demonstrated earlier excellently what generalizations were all about...so let me make this point:

Is your nazi tendencies being reinforced by you being German and making these racial and biased posts littered with inconclusive evidence?

You know what I say to the german kid with nothing better to do than posting biased articles with inconclusive evidence littering the forum with his racist posts? That he's more likely to be a neo nazi than the people he is trying to categorize.

I mean...you had a problem with a muslim man praying 20 ft away from you but had no animosity to someone else, in which you explicitely stated
    The way you try to correlate a specific group of people with the general stereotype is coincides completely with the fact that you are a bigoted Nazi.

Hope it sits in well.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are not very intelligent.

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Let me say this, I understand the subtle points you try to get accross with these Basso-esque articles but do understand that it isn't healthy to make generalizations for any group or thing.

You will always find seperate individualistic entities immersed in the clique that you overlook and disrespect like that.

I myself suffered from sterotyping for a while until it was painfuly brought to my attention from someone who I hurt very deeply and regret to this day.
    Let a 1000 guilty men go free for every innocent wrongfully accused. Whether it is a course of action or verbal you need to be cautious.

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

On what grounds are you accessing that?