1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Gears of War (X-BOX 360)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Davidoff, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

OK, what's the deal.. I plan on picking up a copy of the game tomorrow and I have called the local Game Stop and they said it will be coming out tomorrow, but they have less copies coming to the store than preorders :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm looking at going to anyplace else during lunch or after work tomorrow depending on the voting lines..Best Buy and Circuit City both have the game on their sites and in their ads as coming out the 8th :confused: While Wal-Mart shows it as releasing tomorrow.. Wiki also shows the date as the 7th, what's going on here? What is everyones plan so far?

#1 Davidoff, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  2. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

From what I have seen it is shipping on the 7th and will be in stores possibly by tomorrow or wed. I plan to head to wal-mart or best buy to see if they will have it in.

3. mulletman

mulletman Member

it comes out on wednesday at fry's for $49.99.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

too many games!

im still trying to beat Marvel Alliance

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

yea i'm still trying to finish Scarface. And i plan on picking up F.E.A.R and Guitar Hero 2. and i still have games i havent even touched like Bully, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and the new Mortal Kombat. Video game overload!!

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Can someone explain to me why this game has been getting hyped up so much? What is going to be so special about it? I'm just curious as the title has come up several times over the course of the year...like it is a "must have". What is going to make this game so great compared to all the other shooters out there?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because if you don't get it, your friends will laugh at you for being in the poorhouse.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the graphics are suppose to be great and the gameplay really good.
    someone who went to e3 told me that it was good.

apparently really good multiplayer too.

right now, nothing can stop my marvel alliance team of mr fantastic, spiderman, iron man, and captain america!

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Supposedly considered the first of the 'second generation' of 360 games, i.e. the first true 'next gen' game. It is made by the creators of the Unreal Engine (which in its various stages has been used by a ton of other games); they made Unreal and all the various Unreal Tournaments.

Supposed to be a combination of FPS gameplay and strategy gameplay, with a strong single player and multiplayer; somewhat gory and also interesting weapons.

The story is about some sort of alien race that has been living beneath the surface of the planet and, after numerous wars have weakened the population, 'emerge' to take over.

Here are some gameplay videos:
    http://gamevideos.com/video/id/6596
    http://gamevideos.com/video/id/7006

Trailer:
    http://gamevideos.com/video/id/6412

Ad (made entirely with ingame engine):
    http://gamevideos.com/video/id/7080

#9 Coach AI, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  10. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I've got the Special Edition on preorder from Gamestop.com. I'm such a sucker for SEs and Collector's Editions. They said it's shipping out tomorrow, but since I got regular shipping it'll take a few days to get here.

However, I've got a backlog of games to work through. I'm finishing up Kingdom Hearts 2 (trying to 100% it is taking a LOT of time), and I've still got Okami, .hack//GU, and Final Fantasy XII sitting next to my TV mocking me. Going to finish up Okami (about 2/3rds done), finish .hack//Quarantine (it'll unlock stuff on GU), then do FFXII and GOW. Then I'll go do GU. That should finish it just before the next one in the series is released.

Apparently GOW's multiplayer is a lot of fun, but I doubt I'll play it much. I hate getting PWNED! at a game by 10 year olds. I'd rather play it on my own and delude myself into thinking I'm actually good at it.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Un freaking real!

Thanks for giving me another reason to buy another game to keep me from the outside world. I just bought this thing two weeks ago and I'm already up to 8 games, 6 unopened thanks to Tiger Woods.

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

haha, you're welcome. This holiday (like most holidays for video games) is going to be unfair.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i watched like a marathon of gears of war videos yesterday. the multiplayer looks spectacular and the game looks gorgeous just on the videos. on the 360 in HD i'm expecting big things.

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xj5y_QVzKng"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xj5y_QVzKng" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

15. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Hard to believe that's the in-game engine and the whole game looks like that. The PS2 and XBox would've had to prerender something that looks that good.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL- PC games have looked like that for more than 5 years.......Just wait until you see what is coming next.

We have some new tech that will allow some amazing amount of normal mapped characters on screen at once.

DD

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Gamespot has a review of the game up:
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/gearsofwar/review.html
    9.6 at Gamespot, 96 at Metacritic (100 from 1UP, 96 from TXB and GS, 90 from Yahoo Games).

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I hope I'm misunderstanding you...

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (released in late 2001)
    [​IMG]

Max Payne (released in mid-2001)
    [​IMG]

Gears of War
    [​IMG]
    All 3 of these games got a 10 in graphics from GS.

I don't even think there's been a game on the PC period that looks anywhere near as good as Gears of War, let alone PC games from 5+ years ago.

I do agree that the graphics in GOW are just scratching the surface of what in-game graphics will look like in the next 3-5 years or so though (both on consoles and PCs).

19. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I plan to see if any of the stores have it in after work today. Anyone planning to try to find it this afternoon? If someone does post it here so I will know where to look first.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

RC,

We have been playing with normal mapped technnologies for 5 years, and this is what allows the games to look like they do now.

In 2001, we had tools that allow GOW type of development, you are now seeing the fruits of those tools.

Half Life 2 had em, so did many other PC games..... in the last couple of years....

When I say 5, I mean we started using them then.....

The X-box 360 is a glorified PC, and you will not get those graphics without an HDTV....which should make tinman happy.

DD