1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

galveston for spring break

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by arjun, Feb 25, 2009.

1. arjun

arjun Member

me and my friends wanted to spend a day or two on a beach for spring break. we dont want to go to far, and were thinking of maybe galveston....yes we know how disgusting the water is and stuff...

but i was just wondering if anyone has been there lately, and if you know what kind of condition it is in since the hurricane?

thanks

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Suck it up and drive to Padre.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Galveston, TX?

Go to Port Aransas.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

galveston isn't a real beach.. it's a sorry ass excuse of one.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

whats there to do? my brother lives there. i only go there to visit him, and half the time he tells me not to come...he just comes to houston.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Just make the drive, go to Padre.

I went last year....had a blast with my buds....

Going to Orlando this spring break instead.

7. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

"my friends and i..."

maybe you should be studying rather than partying

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I had a trial down there in mid-November. Businesses were open...but things didn't feel exactly back to normal. Still a lot of businesses shut down even then.

I love the island. I love kicking back and listening to the surf come in. It's not Hawaii, but it's still nice. Fishing off jetties. Cooking up fresh seafood. That may not be what you're looking for on Spring Break though.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love Galveston. My sister has a condo on the far west end and we go at least once a month. I love the laid back vibe of the island. Such a nice change of pace from Houston. There are a lot of great out of the way places to eat (and drink) if you look hard enough.

True, the beaches ain’t exactly Cabo, but that doesn’t really matter when you’re sitting on the balcony sipping on a Crown and Coke, smoking a brisket with your next door neighbor and listening to the ocean.

I love it when people talk down Galveston. That means less traffic on the Seawall. But yeah, it’s not really a Spring Break, wet t-shirt, drunken frat boy, get laid kind of destination. Just go to Padre.

10. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

We used to have a condo off of seawall, and it was actually a great time in galveston. The water isn't great, but its really chill like ima said. You just sit out with your friends, or walk around on the seawall or beach and hang, drink, smoke a couple cigars and chill out.

Now, if its spring break craziness that floats your boat, be a man and drive to padre :p .

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I was in Galveston in January. There was a massive project to rebuild the beaches off of the wall. I am guessing but the beaches by the big hotels on the wall should be good to go for spring break. Do call the hotel first before you book.

I was also ventured down to the West beaches. I looked at several of the beach houses that I had previously rented. Only one of them looked rentable, but even then the surrounding streets were cluttered with debris. Not real family friendly. I won't be taking my family this summer. I predict many a sweet deal for rentals this summer.

12. ima_drummer2k

Yes, when we were at Broadway and Seawall we saw rows and rows of dumptrucks filled with sand turning onto the beach and dumping the sand. I think they are starting on the East side and working their way West. Parts of the seawall don't even have beaches anymore. The water comes right up to the wall.

The houses directly on the beach did not fare well. The whole beach has eroded to about 7 feet below where it was before. You can imagine the havoc that wreaked on the foundations of those beachfront homes. But the homes a few blocks off the beach are pretty much fine. Other than a lot of blue tarps on the roofs, they look pretty much the same as pre-Ike.

Anything that was out over the water is gone. All those old fishing piers are history. If you drive down 61st, you will still see quite a few upside-down boats in parking lots, which is a very strange sight.

13. Fatty FatBastard

Right, like the Flagship isn't still there.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think it's open.

15. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

NO don't go to Port A. I will be in Port A and I don't want you crowding my beach.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Galveston may not be the best beach in the world but damn it it's our beach.

My brother in law has a beach house on the beach just past Jamaica Beach. His house is a lot closer to the beach than it was before. His stairs and walkway to the beach are all gone. The concrete foundation under the house is gone but the house itself is intact and structurally sound. The garage under the house is also gone.

He usually rents his house out some during the summer but isn't this year and is just concentrating on getting it back into prime shape.

The island will be back but if you are a college kid looking for a huge party then hit the road to Padre.

17. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

padre is gonna be packed out the ass. then you should walk across the street to mexico and go to a bar or see a donkey show :D

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Galveston is hurting and needs all the visitors it can get to spend in the local economy.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Why on earth would anyone looking for a good time on Spring Break go to that dump? Get your ass down to Coca-Cola Beach in Padre. We had some damn good times down there in undergrad. Is Louie's Backyard still around?

20. ima_drummer2k

Oh, you caught me!

Anything that was out over the water BESIDES THE FLAGSHIP (which I think is condemned at the moment...) is gone.

Thanks for keeping me in check, Fatty. :D