1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Free Speech?] Billboard claiming ex had an abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Duncan McDonuts, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat..._order_to_pull_it_down_on_.html#ixzz1Ok8Mbl5x

Pic of the billboard
    [​IMG]

As distasteful as it is, I think it's fair to be free speech. No privacy issues were violated as no names were posted, and it certainly doesn't violate any HIPAA rules. It could have remained an anonymous billboard if the defendant hadn't filed the suit.

I don't like the billboard, but I feel he still has the freedom of speech to say it.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why is it distasteful?

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Her name nor image appears on the billboard therefor I see nothing wrong with it.

It is a bit juvinille but unless his website violates her privacy it is free speech.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems as if the guy covered all of his bases (by not putting her name anywhere on the billboard, any literature or his site), she should theoretically remain anonymous. The problem is that we don't live in a vacuum and I'm sure that since the break-up, he's told his friends about it and they certainly know who she is, thus leading to the inevitable leak of a citizen's privacy. When he's recognized on the billboard, these people will probably point it out and the information would have gotten out all the same. She just made it faster by filing suit.

I can't judge intent, but it would seem that this guy put up the billboard with the knowledge that her identity would get out. Beyond making what he feels is a moral stand, he has to feel some sort of vindictiveness/desire for retribution in publicly shaming her.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Any what of it? This is no difference than TMZ reporting that such and such person is pregnant, got beat, etc.
    I have more of a problem with the size of the shadow baby in the picture. No way is that baby 2 months old.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Why do you say he is doing it for retribution? Maybe he is doing it to try and convince other women not to make the same mistake the mother of his child did. If he wanted revenge he could just go take a dump on her doorstep.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As long as it's true it's legal.

If it's a lie than it could be a violation of the law (libel) which is not protected by the First Amendment.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would say it is more a public disclosure of private facts case than one of libel, and thus truth would not be a defense. I think it would be hard to make out a prima facie case where her name was never used though.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The mother must have been a very very dark black lady because that baby is pitch black and that dude is pasty white.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

go read this guy's tweets and come back and tell us he's not doing it for retribution. the dude is a misogynist.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The people on TMZ have voluntarily gone into public life and are public figures. The ex girlfriend has never volunteered for that.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Just curious, are you allow to post how much your ex makes, how much they have in bank, their child support amounts, etc on a bill board?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If he wanted to make a PSA about abortion, he wouldn't need to use either himself or his ex-girlfriend in the message.

This is a personal "f*** you" message to someone else, which is sad, given the subject matter.

I'm torn on the legality of this. I'm not sure that basically calling someone a murderer via a billboard would be considered protected "free speech".

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely agreed.

15. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Makes you wonder why she slept with him in the first place...

#16 ima_drummer2k, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This billboard was up in Vidor for years. I think it still might be, but I haven't been through there in a while. And it accuses a man who was never found guilty of murder.

[​IMG]

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Good old Vidor.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Vidor one would qualify for libel and not be free speech since it names the person but I think the New Mexico one is free speech.

While the woman in question friends might know who she is I think of this like a case where a crime is reported in the news but the reporters don't report the identity but they might tell everything else including where the person lives. In that case the people that know that person probably know who it is but the news isn't directly revealing that info.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

TMZ hits anyone of interest, not just people who 'volunteered' for public life. If you had a brush with some celebrity or you were the sibling of some celebrity they'll track you down. Those people didn't volunteer a thing.
    Either way, my point is it is legal.