1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. PatBev

PatBev Member

Keep KPJ’s name out your mouth.

I honestly think KPJ, Green, and Sengun really show up this year together and let the league know we coming

BasketballMind and DaDakota like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Fred Van Vleet has been awful the majority of his playoff games since he became a starter in this league so not sure what you’re debunking

nobody’s even talking about his playoff games before the Kawhi season because he was basically irrelevant then…the championship year, he was awful in 2 series, and good in the other 2…he has largely been awful since

PeterKingX and Mr.Scary like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Man sized chest bump from me to you brother !

DD

4. mightybosstone

The majority of his playoff games as a starter came in 2020 when the Raptors swept the Nets and lost in 7 to the Celtics. In those 11 games, he averaged 20/7/4/2/1 with 39% shooting from the 3-point line, a .134 WS/48 and a 4.7 BPM. That's pretty damn solid. His shooting percentages were bad in the Boston series, but he still averaged 19/6/5/2/1 in that series.

Bottom line, though, even if the majority of the playoff series he wasn't great, you're talking about three series and a 16-game sample size over two postseasons. We're not talking about Harden or Paul here who underperformed over the course of a decade. And on top of that, I can't stress enough how little we should care as a fan base whether a veteran we add has the greatest postseason resume. We're so far from the playoffs, and even if we made them next season, they're not winning a damn thing.

Anybody worrying about whether we're adding players to actually contend in the next 2-3 years is really misreading the reality of this franchise right now. It's about adding guys who will help the team be competitive and help the young guys grow to bridge the roster to a point where it can legitimately contend.

5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ is a good player BUT how is he going to act starting on the bench

6. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think he’s willing to for certain vets with the possibility of starting down the line. I think he’s give it one year off the bench under Udoka before it came a issue. At this point he probably just wants to win and not be the worst team

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I really like the idea of signing FVV and drafting Amen to learn behind him for a couple seasons.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

FVV is overrated and overpaid.

No way.

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I think we are going to sign FVV and Amen will back him up, but how many years? I heard Houston does not like to give out “Player Option” to deals, might be a deal breaker

10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I don’t like FVV. Too short, not switchable, questionable shot selections.

#110 ashleyem, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

he had 53.7% TS in the 2020 playoffs, he barely shot 40% from the field, he barely got to the line…if a bunch of other players had that level of efficiency taking as many shots a game as he was, they’d be getting ripped to shreds

doesn’t matter if we’re not close to winning anything or contending, everyone already knows that…that doesn’t mean Freddie and his postseason production isn’t an issue, especially when he’s not even a star, yet still commanding big money

We’re gonna be paying non-All Star FVV major money to give us the level of production he’s provided as a starter in the playoffs?

YOLO likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Fredrick in that Boston series: 3-16, 8-22, 9-22, 6-19, 6-14, 7-22, 8-20

19, 6, and 5 aren’t even impressive numbers

13. mightybosstone

Yes, it does matter. If I have to pay him $30M-$35M a year or two scrubs that same amount who don't make the team more competitive, give me the supposed playoff underperformer who fits what the team needs in the short term at the point guard postion. Quality, above average, two-way veteran point guards do not grow on trees. If there was another decent option out there who was better or that wouldn't cost a ton of resources to go get, obviously I would prefer that guy. There isn't. This free agency class blows, and the Rockets are likely beggers, not choosers.

FVV is a stop gap. He's the bridge. He's not the guy you want hoisting the Finals MVP trophy 6-8 years from now. He's that veteran point guard you liked for a bit but ultimately forgot about when the young stars finally emerged and made him obsolete.

I don't want to give FVV a four-year max. I want him on a 2 or 3 year deal where I can move him when we actually need cap space to legitimately build a contender. So, no, I give zero ****s if FVV is a playoff choker or not. Nor do I necessarily think he is one. And if the Rockets are pursuing him clearly they don't either. Deal with it.

peleincubus likes this.
  14. Downtown Sniper

Agree. There's so much I see from KPJ on the court that screams he's about winning.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

FVV is fine. He will be good guarding point guards and even players that are a little bit bigger than him. He will hit a lot of threes but not a lot of twos.

he will run the offense responsibly and be a good role model. Ideally we just need him making smart decisions and moving off of action by Green and Sengun.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we were to get him on a 2 year max deal, would we even be in the playoffs at all while he's still on the roster?

I don't want FVV on a long contract, but I don't mind overpaying him temporarily since we have to spend the cap space anyway. He will hit open 3s, play solid defense, and initiate the offense much better than anyone we've had bringing the ball up since Harden left. At this stage, I just want to get as close to 35 wins as possible, and FVV helps with that.

#116 OremLK, Jun 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.theringer.com/2023/6/27/23774588/2023-free-agency-preview-players-teams-to-watch

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Toronto is on a tight budget?

With Gary Trent Jr.’s decision to opt into his contract Tuesday, Toronto now has at least $111.1 million in guaranteed salary committed to next season. That leaves them nearly $54 million to spend on re-signing their free agents, primarily Fred VanVleet and Jakob Poeltl, as well as adding the No. 13 pick and filling out the roster.

Multiple reports suggest VanVleet and Poeltl will be looking to make roughly $30 million and $20 million per season on their next contract. It’s possible to do that while remaining under those numbers in the first year of the contract.

Guys is we give FVV 35 million for 2 years, Toronto will bow out.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

How do you know he's going to be on the bench? What have you heard?

I'm a ROCKET'S fan, not a SOF, KMJOF, nor any other player fan, however I can tell you that I think he was our most important player last yr and between him, Jabari, Green and Sengun....he's the last player who should be on the bench.

Jabari still struggled with his shot and Green and Sengun are one - way players. BUT let's see.

Bobbythegreat likes this.