1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't want to pay him too much, but FVV is a clear upgrade over KPJ and it's not close. Defense matters.

Dacamel, JW86, xaos and 2 others like this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

I want him

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Defense, asst/to ratio and championship experience all matter. It’s not KPJ’s fault he’s not there yet but he’s not there yet.

Just strikes me as a late bloomer who will still need a few more years. Who knows maybe I’m wrong and he ends up shocking us this coming season.

OremLK and xaos like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

FVV is a clear upgrade to KPJ at PG

Dobbizzle and Mathloom like this.
  5. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Love VV. DARKO has him as a top 30 player, which matches what I've seen from him over the years.

xaos likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He was a backup bit player on their championship team, he is an undersized backup PG, who struggles against taller players - his assists are not high, his shooting is not high, and he is constantly beaten by bigger guards on the block.

He is a starter now on mediocre teams, but he is NOT a difference maker, and certainly NOT worth 30m per year.....he isn't that good.

39% shooting overall SUCKS!

DD

Mr.Scary likes this.
  7. maj21

maj21 Member

FVV is just a name. Dude is way overrated! He be having more 4-22 shooting games than Jalen. Hard pass

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Looking at pure FG% and volume assist numbers without digging any deeper is very on-brand for you.

He had a down season this year (likely random variation), but FVV was #3 in the entire NBA in three-pointers made in 2021-2022. In assists per 100 posessions this season, he was #14. (KPJ was #35.) His FG% is low because the majority of his shots are three pointers.

And again, defense matters. FVV is one of the best defensive starting point guards. If KPJ isn't the worst, he's damn close.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

FVV is mad overrated…better than KPJ of course, but that’s not saying much

YOLO likes this.
  10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He fits THIS team better at PG though. At least that's what I can understand based on reports. Seems Udoka wants him.

11. conquistador#11

I don't like it, Bill.
    Pray another team offers hims Max+

Dacamel likes this.
  12. mightybosstone

I think FVV may be one of those guys who got so overrated for a bit that he's now underrated. He's not a top 25 guy, but he's at least top 50 and advanced stats really like him. Even in last season when he had a down year shooting, he still posted a decent TS% thanks to elite free throw shooting and a high volume of 3-pointers. That, and he just fills up box scores. He rebounds well for his size, his AST/TO ratio is elite and he's top 10 in STL%. Just a very solid two-way, hyperproductive point guard, which isn't easy to come by in this league.

He's not a star, but he's the kind of guy who's an ideal No. 3 on a contending team. For what this team needs, I think he'd be a great fit. I just hope he doesn't get a full four-year max, because that'd be a bit of an overpay.

majicdonjuan, xaos and zeeshan2 like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's likely going to take a massive overpay to sign him for him to have any realistic interest and at that point definitely not worth it. Obviously hes better than kpj but that's not exactly much of a feat, especially not at max type money

14. mightybosstone

Unless he's going back to Toronto, there are very few teams in the league who could offer him what he wants based on their existing cap space. I do think that gives the Rockets an edge. I think it's just a matter of what he's looking for. If he wants to play for a contender, then we were out of the running before the offseason ever began in the first place. If he wants to get paid and play for a team where he has a greater role, Houston's got as good of a shot as any noncontender.

xaos likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

he had 54% TS last year…that’s not decent, it’s solidly below average…it’s barely higher than Jalen Green

his efficiency is always trash, and that’s with him playing on teams with better players than the Rockets

and if the Rockets do hopefully make the playoffs next year, he has shown to be mostly absolute garbage in the postseason

16. mightybosstone

For a point guard, which is easily the least efficient position, it's slightly below average. According to StatMuse, league average point guard TS% was 56% this year. He ranked around 45th leaguewide among all qualified point guards between LaMelo Ball and Marcus Smart last season among 78 point guards, according to ESPN data. For a guy who shoots below 40% from the floor at times, that's not bad. That's what I mean by "decently efficient." In his best seasons, he was closer to league average (above 55%).

I already debunked this take a few pages ago, but of his 52 career playoff games, he was only a starter for 16 of them; and 37 of them came in his age 24 season or earlier, before he came a starter. Nearly half (24) came in the year they won the finals, a season in which he only averaged 11 points a game backing up Lowry.

His sample size as a legit starter in the playoffs is absurdly small. He was damn good in two series in 2019-20 and not very good in a four-game sweep in 21-22, but to say he's "always trash" lacks a ton of context. It's what someone would say who just looks at the raw postseason numbers and nothing else.

OremLK and anthony59237 like this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

FVV/Amen
    Green/Veteran
    George/KPJ
    Jabari/Tari
    Sengun/who gives a ****

If FVV signs a big 2 year contract I could get behind this lineup. Both PG and FVV would both be off the books in two years just in time for our last swing at free agency

Probably move both to the bench for Amen and KPJ after the first year

18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Who do you trade for PG?

19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’d offer any combination Tate, KMJ, Christopher, maybe Garuba and TyTy + a Brooklyn pick or two but not 3

We basically have to trade those guys to carve out minutes for 2-3 veterans + Amen. They have to go

Anybody not in the “core 4” + KPJ will probably be traded for additional cap space + minutes

20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sounds good. I hope Stone is reading your post.

Martin, KPJ, Tate and 20th pick should work.

I really believe Green and Sengun is going to blow up this year, this is their 3rd year…one of those guys can be a ALL STAR

Jayzers_100 likes this.