1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. raining threes

If they're going to spend big FA money, they should spend it on Reaves. If they're going to spend lesser FA money they should spend it on Vincent.

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Like'd for truth.

There is the old saying: why did the man keep slamming his head into the wall? Because it felt so good when he stopped.

Maybe we should look at some other metrics - the past 3 years have not been kind.

Bruce Brown & Naz Reid would be good (reasonable) gets IMHO. I'd rather throw Villain $$$ at those two than pay an a$$clown whose own team doesn't want him anymore.

BamBam and jim1961 like this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

I would be ecstatic if we were able to add FVV, Dillon Brooks (controversial but I think we could really use him), draft Whitmore…

That’s a solid core with Jalen, Jabari, Tari, and Sengun.

I get the thought process behind signing JH…but FVV is a championship caliber/winning PG. that roster with Ime could do some serious work.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Toronto may need to seriously consider a rebuild.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dillon Brooks can't score. On a team that already has Jabari, Tari and likely to add another defensive wing at 20 why would we need Brooks? Tate can't even get mins you think a non scorer like Brooks gonna get PT? I'd rather overpay for Brook Lopez, we need a defensive center alongside Sengun.

FVV is OK but rather have someone better defensively like Austin Reeves and D Schroeder. Schroeder esp would be one of my main targets he already played in Houston and was a positive influence and mentor to the young kids and didn't care whether he was starting or coming off the bench. He plays with a lot of energy and has solid all around skills I think the young guys would benefit a lot from him. At only 29 and making the vet min the past 3 yrs you can sign him to a 4 yr deal without worry and he also won't break the bank to get.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you are him, why would you sign with the Rox? He is nearly 30, we aren't contending for 3-4 more years......dunno, seems unlikely.

DD

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

He will only sign with us if we give him the most money for 3-4 years. I don’t think any contender would view FVV as the missing piece. I’d offer him max for 2 years take it or leave it.

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He isn't worth the MAX and it screws you over when you are trying to resign your high draft picks if they don't deserve the max......so pass.

DD

kspires999 and jim1961 like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Offer him the same deal that the suns resigned CP3z

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is not a max player, he shot 39% overall - he had 7 assists......not that good overall....if we are going to upgrade then upgrade....FVV is not an upgrade.

DD

jim1961 and PatBev like this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fred VanVleet is basically as efficient a scorer as Porter (shots a higher percentage of 3PAs), that plays better defense, throws out more assists, throws out more potential assists, and significantly throws the ball to the other team less. The Rockets will not a salary issue in 2 years unless the Rockets are competitive in 2 years, Even then, it would seem like it would be easy to just trade of not exercise the option on KPJ to make room.

groovemachine likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely not a max player but absolutely an upgrade over KPJ at this point. No question.

Jags, Phillyrocket, OremLK and 3 others like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Priceless

BamBam likes this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ive come to like the idea of FVV for a 3 year deal somewhere near 3 years 106. Good defender, good assist to turnover ratio. Not a sexy FA but someone that can take some pressure off.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Fred VanVleet??? I'd rather they get a new fleet of vans.

DaDakota likes this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Raptors still have a chance to resign him. The Rockets are always a day late and a dollar short, GM Stone needs to start COOKING and find a deal. Stone can no longer sit on his hands and say…..we like our guys! We needs to make a move. GMs from Atlanta, Celtics and Clippers are working to make moves…Stone needs to stop being scared and make a big move. Drafting Green, Jabari and Amen are not living on the edge as a active GM. You are on the clock Stone and it starts now……

[​IMG]

20. Rokman

Rokman Member

They get their big pay check on a crappy team who has the money to spend and then they ask for a trade. Don't think he won't. Pass.