1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis for Carter?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by eyhab27, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...p21,1,4946416.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

NBA CONFIDENTIAL
    Francis-for-Carter deal doesn't thrill Weisbrod

By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted September 21, 2004

Vince Carter wants to replace cousin Tracy McGrady as the leader and star of the Orlando Magic.

It's not going to happen.

Carter, from Daytona Beach Mainland High, is growing increasingly disgruntled in Toronto, where he has spent the first six years of his NBA career establishing himself as a star.

He asked for a trade earlier this summer, making it clear to both the Raptors and the Magic that his destination of first choice for a new home would be Orlando.

Although the two teams have had preliminary talks about Carter, the Magic do not have the interest it would take to make it happen. In any deal for Carter, the Raptors want another all-star, which with the Magic would be newly acquired point guard Steve Francis.

"There just aren't many scenarios you could draw up where we'd be a better team in acquiring him," Magic General Manager John Weisbrod said, "not when you factor in whom we would have to trade. I can say in no uncertain terms, we would not trade Steve Francis for Vince Carter."

Carter averaged 22.5 points last season compared with 16.6 points for Francis, who was acquired from Houston in the multi-player trade of McGrady earlier this summer. Both Carter and Francis are all-stars, but in the eyes of Weisbrod, there is no comparison.

"The more I'm around him, the more I'm a Steve Francis guy," Weisbrod said. "Don't get me wrong, Vince is an unbelievable athlete, but I'd rather have Steve Francis. Steve is a warrior."

Like a lot of teams, the Magic are concerned about Carter's toughness and his ability to make those around him better. The Raptors won just 24 and 33 games the past two seasons.

Carter's desire to return to his home state to play isn't going to happen anytime soon. Heat President Pat Riley also expressed little interest last week in Carter.

Carter wasn't available to comment. He was expected to be at the Tracy McGrady charity softball game Saturday at Walt Disney Wide World of Sports, but he canceled that appearance.

Las Vegas gathering a winner for Magic

John Weisbrod was practically glowing after he returned recently from Las Vegas, where he gathered all 15 Magic players and the coaching staff for a long weekend of bonding and basketball.

It's part of Weisbrod's all-for-one philosophy that he felt was missing last season with McGrady leading the team. Although the collective-bargaining agreement prohibits teams from requiring players to attend such an offseason function, the Magic held it anyway on a volunteer basis.

Everyone showed.

The Magic will open next season with an almost entirely new team. The 12-man roster that starts this season is likely to include only one player (Andrew DeClercq) who was on the opening roster last season.

"I think guys were a little skeptical at first. I saw some eyes rolling, but by the time we left Vegas, the chemistry was unbelievable. Cuttino Mobley was holding a team meeting in his room," Weisbrod said. "That's why I'm so reluctant now to make any more changes, do any more tinkering. These guys just clicked."

Among the happier sights was Grant Hill playing basketball again with his teammates and glowing about it.

"I never thought I'd be playing basketball with Grant Hill, but I was," rookie Dwight Howard said Monday. "From what I could see, he's still an excellent player who is going to help make everyone around him better. I thought everyone there connected."

Welcome to the NBA

Both Howard, the No. 1 pick in the draft, and Jameer Nelson, the Magic's other first-round acquisitions, are attending the NBA's Rookie Transition Program in New York this week.

It's a series of seminars, classes and interactive workshops designed to educate the young players on a variety of off-the-court topics, probably the most extensive support system in professional sports.

It includes topics like financial planning, nutrition, drug and alcohol education, security and dealing with peer pressures.

"I think it's a great idea because there's lot more we need to know than just basketball," Howard said.

Howard, 19, has had a busy summer, working out almost constantly under the eye of Magic assistant coach Clifford Ray.

"I can see myself improving daily," he said. "Even since summer camp in Orlando, there's been a big jump in my game."

2. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.