1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fran Blinebury - Houston Chronicle] JVG's Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tango, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2006/06/van_gundys_team.html

June 28, 2006
    Van Gundy's Team
    Could the Rockets have been gun shy about a young kid with big potential from the 2001 draft night experience with Eddie Griffin that eventually went up in smoke and set the franchise back years?

No.

This is a move that was all about Jeff Van Gundy. There is no way he was going to play a rookie like Rudy Gay significant minutes next season.

So the Rockets management knuckled under and got him a veteran player .

If you're looking for a silver lining, they did get rid of Stromile Swift.

But from right now, right this minute, this is Van Gundy's baby.

In the bigger picture, the Rockets problem is they're looking at a window of opportunity that is closing on Tracy McGrady's advancing age and ongoing back problems.

What they should be looking at it is Yao Ming, who has 8 to 10 years to play at the peak of his ability? Gay could have been a player who blossomed with Yao in the years to come.

To try to rush to get back to 45 to 50 wins with McGrady is foolish and shortsighted.

In their wildest dreams, this team could be a first-round playoff loser in 2007.

2. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

JVG is a freaking loser. You dont do a team like this and rob it of a future just for a coach who wont change.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well I'm tired of it being JVG's team. NOTHING impresses me about 2 First Round Exits in 3 years. I'm tired of getting these "JVG type" players to solve quick problems and they just end up being 1/2 season rentals.

I like the idea of the "win-now" attitude, but I like the idea of stocking good young talent even more. Gay may not be the player we think he could be, but he certainly has the potential to be a great player. Battier has shown in his 4 years that he is nothing more than a role player.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Didn't someone post recently that Les told Van Gundy he needed to show results this season or he was gone? Maybe that's why he's so hesistant to gamble with his job by starting a soon-to-be-20 year-old rookie.

All I can say is the dude better turn this into a 55-60 win team this season or else he's in big trouble.

5. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I would like the role player more than a one-trick pony, garbage player like Swift on this team.

We will see in three years if this trade was worth it.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Van Gundys resume is far too weak to slurp him off every F'n day. He took a mediocre team to the finals in a sub-par conference and only won a game? And we hand him the reigns? He hasnt proved a thing. Sad thing is this Rockets team shoud be set for a top 6 seed next year. He will be slurped off once again. And we will be stuck with his college suited defense for another 3 years.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

For once, I agree with Fran. The better choice would have been to keep Gay, and then trade TMac for some younger players and/or picks after he strung together about 10 good games in a row and his trade value went back up.

And fire JVG.

8. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Remember next season will be last year of JVG's contract (team option after that)? So he wants to grab few more wins now and sacrifice the team's future? Why would the management let him do that?

9. Tango

Because CD's a dunce. I'm convinced of that now.

Here's my prediction too. We've seen how players respond to JVG's system. Talk about contributing now- it'll take Battier a freakin' 1/2 year to figure out how he fits into JVG's system. On top of that, let's watch his shooting % tank as well.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

You know, I have been very supportive of JVG over the years and gave him the benefit of the doubt. This is because I know he works his butt off, is loyal to his players, and overall seems like a genuine guy. His basketball knowledge is ABOVE AVERAGE for an NBA coach.

However if it turns out he is the mastermind of this trade all this will cease to exist. We all know how our last season was just unfortunate with all the injuries and didn't do us(our capabilities) justice. We also know this coming season is critical in the future of our coach AND management, and also the direction of the team as far as players go. So seeing this trade as a temporary band-aid, if JVG was behind this I have to say he just lost one more supporter. For him to pursue a short term solution to save HIS OWN ass is as selfish of a move as I can see. True TMAC may not be at the top of his game much longer but to me that's even more reason to invest in a young talent we can groom and have ready in 3~4 years, esp because the nature of this high pick was a great opportunity (UNLESS WE'RE PLANNING OF BEING IN THE LOTTERY EVERY YEAR :rolleyes: )

11. Ryan Bowen MVP

If JVG dosen't know how to teach young talent, than we need a new coach. I thought we managed okay with Luther Head. But whatever...

12. wolfsheep

wolfsheep Contributing Member

A coach that doesn't know offense should disappear from NBA. Our games last season wasn't so pleasing, and we are not winning by defense.

13. choujie

choujie Member

Fran is stupid. He'd do the same thing if he's in JVG's position.

JVG is in contract year and he needs results. If he keeps Gay but not getting enough wins, Les will show him the door and none of you fans will feel sorry for him. Fans don't have patience, coaches and players take blame for everything, so why can't they do something for themselves?

Even if Gay develops into a star player and benifits Rockets in the future, JVG would have been long gone. All JVG wants is a team that can give him the best chance to win right now, not in the future. Future is Les and money guy's concern.

You people gotta understand JVG here. The only problem is I think Rockets should get more from the trade.

14. Remix

Remix Member

I would go with the future of this team rather than going with someone that hasnt shown much results.

15. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

This may be the first time I've ever heard of a team's management being more short-sighted than it's fans. Aren't the fans usually the "win now" contingent?

16. choujie

choujie Member

Sure, because you are not the coach. What future is good for if you are no longer with the organization?

17. Tango

And why the h*** are listening to the coach? Explain that one to me.

18. akuma

akuma Member

to hell with Van Fukky, he hasn't done ish with the Rockets. :mad: for those that say that there was no way that he was going to play Gay, who in the hell would he play at the starting 2/3? Head? Bowen? Hayes? he would have no choice but to play Gay and let him develop the hard way. oh well. actually, i think he just plays Bowen at the 3 for 48 minutes, in which case he has to be fired.

19. user

user Member

If that is the case, the owner should fire the said coach right on. He's destroying the owner's business in long term.

20. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

seriously...hey Jeff thanks for bringing in gggreat players like charlie ward, charles oakley, rick brunson and ryan bowen...you make the rockets look like a port a poddy, people (including agents) just dump their players on top of this organization, without YOU rethinking what is the best for this organization...you better either A)win the division or B)make it to the WCF or your butt is gone