1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FoxSports] NBA's Fastest Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Aug 18, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Member

FoxSports' John Galinsky gives his list of the top 10 fastest NBA players. Click link for pictures and the honorable mentions. Any glaring omissions?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=9932996#sport=NBA&photo=9930574

10. Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets

To be accurate, Paul — who led the NBA in assists and steals last season — is more quick than fast. He darts here and there, dashing into passing lanes, and he changes directions as abruptly as anyone in the league. He's also adept at changing speeds, much like Dwyane Wade, which makes him more effective than someone who's 100 mph all the time. But changing speeds doesn't matter if all your speeds are slow. At top speed, Paul is more than fast enough to leave most point guards in his dust. Just ask Jason Kidd, who he scorched in the 2008 playoffs.

9. Leandro Barbosa, Phoenix Suns

He's not called the "Brazilian Blur" for nothing. The 2007 NBA Sixth Man of the Year comes off Phoenix's bench at full speed and doesn't slow down till he returns to the pine. An excellent 3-point shooter (career 40.4%), Barbosa doesn't have much of an in-between game and he struggled in Terry Porter's more deliberate system last season. But with the Suns on the run again under Alvin Gentry, the 26-year-old combo guard should be back in his comfort zone — at warp speed.

8. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics

How does a point guard who can't shoot average nearly a triple-double in the playoffs, as Rondo did last season in a pair of seven-game series against the Bulls and Magic? Speed sure helps. Most of the time, Boston's 23-year-old point guard is simply faster to loose balls than the other nine guys on the court. His long arms also aid him on defense, where he finished fifth in steals last season, but it's his legs that should keep the Celtics contending as the Big 3 begins to slow down.

7. T.J. Ford, Indiana Pacers

As a point guard, speed is really the only attribute that sets Ford apart from his peers. At 6 feet and 165 pounds, he's small. He's not a great passer or shooter. He isn't an outstanding defender or leader. But man can he fly! More of a Ferrari than a Ford, he drove a Pacers offense that averaged 105.2 points last season, fifth in the league.

6. Nate Robinson, New York Knicks

In his own way, Robinson is as much of a physical freak as Dwight Howard and LeBron James, just in a smaller package. A 5-9 shooting guard (dare you to name anyone else who fits that description) who averaged 17.2 points last season, he creates all the space he needs with his incredible speed and explosiveness. The 2009 Slam Dunk champ played defensive back at Washington and was reportedly timed at 4.38 in the 40.

5. Aaron Brooks, Houston Rockets

How did the Rockets push the Lakers to seven games in the West semifinals without Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, and with Ron Artest missing almost every shot? One of the biggest reasons was the smallest player on the court. Brooks, a second-year guard from Oregon, didn't become the Rockets' starter until they traded Rafer Alston in mid-February, but he had his coming-out party against the Lakers. Making Derek Fisher look old (OK, he is old, but not that old), Brooks blew through L.A.'s defense for 79 points in Houston's three wins (but just 47 in the four losses). At 24, he still has a lot to learn about running a team, but his speed gives him a chance to be something special.

4. Devin Harris, New Jersey Nets

On February 18, 2008, the Nets traded away Jason Kidd, one of the greatest fast-breaking point guards of all time, and got someone much faster. That's partly because Kidd, now 36, has lost a step or two. But it's also because Harris, who New Jersey got in return from the Mavericks, looks like a cheetah racing up and down the court. On defense, his prey is the opposing point guard, and Harris is among the best at staying in front of his man. On offense, it's almost impossible to stop him from getting to the rim. He averaged 21.3 points last season despite shooting 29 percent on 3-pointers. Now if only he could see the court and pass like Kidd...but maybe that will come. After all, he's a fast learner.

3. LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers

Is it really possible for a 6-8, 260-pound man to be among the fastest players in the NBA? Well, did you see LeBron play last season? How many times did he chase down opponents and swat breakaway layups? How many times per game did he race past everyone for transition dunks? Did you ever see anyone catch him? He may not look like he's flying, but at his size he doesn't need many steps to cover huge amounts of space. (Just think of Usain Bolt in the Olympics.) His power is only half of what makes him such an insane athletic specimen. His speed is the other half. If his basketball IQ and skills ever match his physical ability — and they're getting closer every year — the 24-year-old James truly will be king of the league.

2. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs

After all these years, opponents know how to defend Parker. Play off him and dare him to shoot from outside. Swarm him when he drives to the basket and try to make him pass rather than shoot. It doesn't matter. The fast Frenchman is routinely among the league leaders in layups despite his small stature (6-2, 185) because his blinding speed — and his clever use of it — makes him the best penetrating point guard in the league. Last season he averaged 22 points on 50.6-percent shooting despite making a paltry 19 3-pointers. With Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili slowing down, it's now up to the 27-year-old Parker to keep San Antonio in the NBA fast lane.

1. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls

There is plenty of room for disagreement here — like we said, no one's timing every NBA player with a stopwatch — but Rose tops this list because of his speed in every situation. From end to end, the 2009 Rookie of the Year can cover the 94 feet as fast as anybody. In close quarters, his burst is unbelievable. He can run the fast break or penetrate through halfcourt defenses with equal velocity. And at 6-3 and 190, he has a strong frame and excellent body control, making him arguably the best athlete of all the league's point guards. Considering he won't be old enough to drink a beer till October, the 20-year-old Rose is on the fast track to NBA stardom.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Rose number one, really :confused:

I would of put 6-8 guys from that list ahead of him.

3. ILoveTheRockets

thats absurd, I'd take Brooks quickness/speed over Rose any day.

4. Omer

Omer Member

Good to see Brooks in the top 5 already. Agree with this list except for LeBron. There's no way he can keep up with any of these other guys listed and he is ranked 3rd?

5. durvasa

durvasa Member

End to end, he's pretty damn fast. Take into account the length of his strides.

6. BleedRocketsRed

Rose and LeBron ARE NOT faster than Rondo, Paul, Barbosa, Brooks

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I see Monta got an honorable mention. When healthy, I'd put him right near the top if not at the top.

Barbosa should be much higher on that list.

8. dtowninyourtown

Its ridiculous that Lebron makes every list possible these days. He is not one of the top 10 fastest players in the league by any means. Just because he is amazing at basketball doesn't mean he is in the top 3 of the fastest players. This list lost all credibility when they listed Lebron in the top 10, not to even mention the top 5... are you serious??

Im getting sick of all the hype Lebron gets these days...

9. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

I was expecting Barbosa at number 1

10. adoo

adoo Member

Hog Wash, LBJ may be the best player, he is not among the 10 fastest.

Personally, i believe Barbosa is the fastest.

11. durvasa

durvasa Member

Have you ever seen LeBron James run the floor in transition or chase down someone from half court for a block shot? When he gets in stride and he doesn't have to change direction, he's like a runaway train. And I've heard multiple times from announcers that people don't realize just how fast he is until they're sitting courtside.

The exact order here doesn't really matter to me. I do think LeBron deserves mention amongst the very fastest players, because he's the best 2-way transition player in the game.

12. Obito

Obito Member

TJ Ford is the fastest I believe.

Stevie was the fastest in his day, why is Lebron on this list? Oh yah he's Lebron. :eek:

13. crossover

crossover Member

Monta Ellis would be in the running for quickest in the NBA for me were it not for his injury.

Rose really is absurd.

14. dtowninyourtown

Yes I have seen him run the floor in transition... I havent seen it courtside but I know he isnt in the top 10 of the fastest players in the NBA. Im sorry, he just isnt. He may be fast for his size, but I just dont think he is top 10 material.

15. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

ya sports writers need to hop off lebron already.

16. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Brooks should be at least # 3. He is faster then Lebron and an older Tony Parker.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Clippers employed a PG last season that was clearly the fastest I had seen in the NBA at this current time.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Mike Taylor?

He's fast but I don't think any faster than a few players on this list.

19. summitts20

summitts20 Member

Rose at 1? Does this writer even watch basketball? Rose is quick, much like CP3, but number at 1 on a list that has AB, Barbosa, Harris, and Ford? That's completely absurd. As for LBJ being number 3, I was just kinda waiting for his name to pop up as I was scrolling down the list since he makes every single list possible (although he is pretty fast). I was kinda hoping to see ex-Rocket Oscar Torres on this list :D

20. hokage5

hokage5 Member

Gilbert Arenas, when healthy, is the fastest NBA player. All GM's and Coaches know this (I was told by a member of an NBA coaching staff)