1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FoxSports] Kidd skipping night practices, irking Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hotballa, Oct 7, 2004.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Apologies if this was posted. I know some of us have been wondering about the possibility of Kidd getting traded to the Rox since he is rumored to be on the open market. This seems like another sttep in the Nets perhaps getting less than market valyue in return for Kidd. They probably want to move him to the Western Conference. Any way within the realm of reality that we can get Kidd if the Nets decided to move him?

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3066944

Chris Sheridan / Associated Press
    Posted: 32 minutes ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Jason Kidd is refusing to attend night sessions during the New Jersey Nets' two-a-day practices at training camp, and he doesn't care if the team fines him for it.

"They want me to be here - they have every right - but my best thing is to try to get healthy, rehab and push forward. That's my stance," said Kidd, who had knee surgery over the summer and is at least three weeks away from practicing. "Me sitting here for three hours is not helping me rehab."

Kidd ended a long public silence and made his displeasure with the Nets clear this week after an offseason that included the cost-cutting trades of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles. Kidd and Alonzo Mourning said the Nets have no chance of winning a championship.

Coach Lawrence Frank wouldn't discuss Kidd's skipping night sessions, even to clarify whether Kidd's absences were excused or unexcused. Team president Rod Thorn did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

Kidd said the team had not informed him or his agent that he would be fined.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, players can be penalized $2,500 for each of the first two practices they miss and $5,000 for each subsequent absence.

The Nets held only one practice Thursday, but another two-a-day was scheduled for Friday - and Kidd was adamant he wouldn't attend the night session. New Jersey is holding training camp at its regular practice facility, and most Nets players are staying at their own homes.

Kidd said he is rehabilitating his knee seven days a week and plans to consult with his doctors again in three weeks to determine whether he'll be cleared for more strenuous activity.

"If they want to fine me for not sitting here for three hours to watch practice, they're the boss and I'm the employee," Kidd said. "I'm going to stay with my stand and don't come at night. I've already expressed that it's because I'm rehabbing.

"I'm not going out of my way to not come, but it's just (that) part of the day doesn't bring me down this way."

In Kidd's operation, small holes were drilled in his left knee to form scar tissue that replaces cartilage.

Several NBA players, including Chris Webber, Allan Houston, Penny Hardaway and Jamal Mashburn, were slow to recover from the surgery, but Kidd's procedure was performed on a different, non-weightbearing part of his knee.

"It has been explained very clearly that this injury is different from some of the others we've seen, yet at the same time it's still surgery," Frank said.

In Kidd's absence, veterans Travis Best and Jacque Vaughn and second-year guard Zoran Plananic are vying for the starting job at point guard.

"Is it hard? Yeah, because this is my job," Kidd said before throwing in a dig at management for breaking up a team that won two of the last three Eastern Conference titles.

Kidd expected the Nets to remain a contender when he spurned a free-agent offer from San Antonio in 2003 and re-signed with New Jersey for six years. But now he's a member of a diminished team that dealt away its two best defenders and fast-break finishers.

"At the same time," Kidd said of watching and waiting, "I can try to reflect and look at things and work on my half-court preparation, because we're not going to be a fast-breaking team."

New Jersey plays its first exhibition game next Thursday against the New York Knicks.

2. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

You sir, are crazy!

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

yes I know, but hell I can still dream cant I? =)

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Kidd on the Rockets would be more of a nightmare. You do not want this fat contract killing your payroll til the end of the decade.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Um, no. Not really. Not unless you want to offer McGrady or Yao. The Nets might take well under fair value, but they'd be looking for expiring contracts. We don't have those and we don't have draft picks. Lock it up.

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Yeah, lets trade for a guy who won't even play until 2005:rolleyes:

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

1. Kidd signed a HUGE, HUGE Deal last summer.

2. Kidd had surgery this summer, not sure when he will be back, is injury prone.

That's all you need to know.

8. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Wrong forum

9. zenmar

zenmar Member

STRAIGHT UP WOULD YOU TRADE TMAC TO KIDD?

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This Sounds weird to me. . .and painful.

Say what you want
    but this is the Ghost of Grant Hill
    I doubt any player will every push himself
    for the team and threaten his whole carreer again

Rocket River

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

In other words, they had to do something drastic because he had no cartilage in that area of his left knee? Kinda makes you wonder what shape his left knee is in.

You know what's even scarier? Kidd was a good jump shooter for about one year of his career. Now that he's going to go out there on bad pegs, what do you think is going to happen.

Jason Kidd had a pretty good career, but he moved to New York, fell into a great situation and became overrated. Now he's overpaid and on a bad team. It may be a tossup between him and Gary Payton for who has the worse season between two former All-Star guards.

12. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Jason Kidd < Grant Hill

That's saying a LOT!

Ok, maybe Kidd can actually play and do something, but based on his contract and what he can do I might put Hill ahead of him because, I think, he has less left on his contract.

Pugs

#12 pugsly8422, Oct 8, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

the nets shoulda trade kidd for cassell when they had a chance to.... sometime the management tend to caught up in overvaluing aging, injury-proned superstars.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Kidd is a prick.

See my sig.