1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox: Rockets Already Interviewed Van Gundy & Dunleavy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SLA, May 26, 2003.

1. SLA

SLA Member

Mike Woodson!!!!!!

Mike Woodson, one of Larry Brown's top assistant coaches and former Rocket player, was interviewed and was golfing in Houston today. I guess he lives in Houston. Anyways, he said that Larry Brown would be the perfect fit in Houston and that he would bring a totally different style of game and demand more from the players. He said Larry would be great here but it is Larry's decision....And Mike Woodson says he may become head coach of the Toronto Raptors.

SO HOPEFULLY, Larry Brown knows Houston is the place to coach! And it seems like Larry Brown develops assistant coaches well...

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

According to Mark Berman, the Rockets have concluded interviews with Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Dunleavy and will interview Larry Brown.

Berman interviewed Brown's assistant and former Rocket Mike Woodson who lives in Houston. He is interviewing for the Toronto job but will probably not get it and remain an assistant with Brown. He said Brown is a perfect fit for Houston - a demanding coach but a players' coach who preaches defense first and has a brilliant basketball mind.

He said he will push Brown to accept the job because it would be convenient for him (Woodson) - laughing.

Also, assistant coach Melvin Hunt has been offered a job with Baylor as an assistant under Dave Bliss. And assistant coach Mike Wells is interviewing with Purdue for the first assistant job under Gene Cady.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

merged. :)

4. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I saw that too...funny, he kept talking as if Brown was already coming here. Said if he didn't get the Raptors job he would come back "here" meaning Houston as if Brown would be here and he would be his assistant again.

I wonder if Van Gundy will jump on the Cleveland job soon so it doesn't look as if Les passed him over for Larry Brown.

5. SLA

SLA Member

lol Jeff. ;)

I forgot to talk about our former assistants...good luck to them anyways.

And Free Agent, Mike Woodson was talking like Larry Brown was already the coach of the Rockets. That is exactly how it sounded.....

AND I LOVE IT!

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Agreed. It did sound like Woodson had his mind made up. :)

7. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

That's "Keady"...c'mon, Jeff...you're better than that! :)

#7 Free Agent, May 26, 2003
    Last edited: May 26, 2003
  8. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Member

Just curious....why would NBA assistants be interested in ASSISTANT coach positions in college?:confused:

The Purdue thing I might understand if the guy's dream is to one day take over that program. But why would an NBA asst. coach take an asst. job at Baylor!?!:eek:

9. SLA

SLA Member

SA Rocket......CUZ NO ONE ELSE IN THE NBA WOULD HIRE OUR FORMER ROCKETS ASSISTANTS!

10. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

That's an understatement.

11. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Member

LOL...well when you put it that way...it makes perfect sense!:D

I guess the players' hard-headedness screwed over the whole coaching staff, from Rudy right to the end of the bench!

12. BigRay

BigRay Member

This isGREAT!

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The fat guy with the really bad combover. Whatever. :)

14. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Damn...I passed 2000 posts and didn't even notice... :(

Doesn't Clutch give a gold watch or something for that milestone?

15. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Depends how you define "bad combover". As combovers go I think it's a pretty good one. I does it's job: covers the bald head. Looks silly as all get out but still...

Van Gundy on the other hand....ewwww.

16. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Member

BTW, why are there 5 NBA jobs open and not one mention of Mr. Mean being a candidate for any of them? Exactly what does a guy have to do get a fair shot? I figured with the fine stretch run at the end of the season, teams would be lined up waiting to interview him and take him away from the Rockets.:D

17. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I was about to blast you until I saw the smiley face at the end.

18. xiki

xiki Member

True, true shame. Larry Smith finally got a chance and his players tanked for him. I would be surprised if he ever gets another opportunity.

I understand your joke, but it is not a funny outcome for a good guy.

19. RocksMillenium

I agree, it's ashame about Larry Smith. He was given the keys to a team that had just found out their coach had cancer. Not the easier job in the world, and he did a nice job all things considered.

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Member

Personally I prefer JVG.

Larry Brown is about 62 years old and how long do you guys think he can be with Rox?

Every year there were rumors about he was going to leave Phily, and now he finally left Phily two years before the contract expired.

He is a good coach, but just hope this will not happen and he will stay here long enough if he is going to coaching Rox.