1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fox News Host Wants South Park Investigated for Blasphemy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 18, 2012.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Following the uproar over the movie "The Innocence of Muslims" Fox News host Todd Starnes is wondering why the Admin and others aren't condemning and calling for investigation of South Park for blasphemy.

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2...ts-south-park-investigated-for-blasphemy?lite

Fox News host wants 'South Park' investigated for blasphemy
    By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper , TODAY

In the wake of news reports about the anti-Islam film "Innocence of Muslims," a Fox News host has decided that a bigger and more professionally made production, "South Park," should come under fire.
    Todd Starnes, host of "FOX News & Commentary" and author of "Dispatches from Bitter America," spoke on a panel about "Religious Hostility in America" at the Values Voter Summit in Washington this past weekend, and Cartman and friends were on his mind.

"We have seen the administration come out and say, 'We condemn anyone who denigrates religious faith.' And they come out in regards to this anti-Muslim film," Starnes said. "Well, that's well and good, but my question is: When has the administration condemned the anti-Christian films that are coming out of Hollywood? Where are the federal investigations into shows like 'South Park,' which has denigrated all faiths? Where is the outrage when people of the Christian faith are subjected to this humiliation that is coming out of Hollywood?"

"South Park" has famously taken on religions of all kinds. Scientology is parodied in an episode where Stan is thought to be the reincarnation of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, and Scientologist Tom Cruise wouldn't come out of Stan's closet. Mormonism is mocked in an episode where Stan is impressed by a Mormon family's behavior, if not convinced of their beliefs. Cartman constantly makes fun of Kyle, the lone Jew among the four main characters. Catholicism, especially the child-molestation scandals involving priests, has also been targeted by the show.

"South Park" also portrayed Muhammad. In its fifth season, the show featured the "Super Best Friends," a superhero group led by Jesus and consisting of Muhammad, Buddha, Moses, Joseph Smith, Krishna, Laozi and an Aquaman parody called Sea Man. The episode first aired on July 4, 2001, before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks of that year, and there was little fuss when Muhammad was portrayed. But when the show tried to show a Muhammad character in 2010, Comedy Central altered the episode.

In June, a Muslim man pled guilty to threatening the "South Park" creators over the 2010 episode and was sentenced to 11 1/2 years in prison.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My own commentary is that this is a somewhat misleading article title as I am not sure Starnes really wants South Park investigated but is rallying about the double standard. That said I think this is an issue for discussion regarding parody and is the idea that South Park goes after everyone a valid defense?

As an occasional fan I think Matt Stone and Trey Parker makes some good points through satire, such as even if you think Mormon beliefs are crazy what matters is how they act. Putting this out for discussion.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think I caught a bit where some British guy (what is with all these Brits coming over here and becoming American political commentators?) on Hannity or O'Reilly was b****ing about how the guy who made the movie was taken into custody like it was Obama personally sicking his own storm troopers after him when he was taken into protective custody and also for questioning about whether he violated his parole.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think Obama should denounce all cartoons and movies that hate on religion. What could be more important in 21st century America than this pressing issue?

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When someone uses free speech for the sole purpose of spreading hate, I think it should be condemned.

South Park isn't trying to spread hate for another religion. And I think the fact that it rips all faiths, including atheists, apart demonstrates it is not hate speech.

6. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Yeah, right. Uh, huh.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

South Park is pretty genius in its social commentary to be honest.

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

MISLEADING THREAD TITLE.

[​IMG]

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

seriously? are you that devoid of a sense of humor?

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I think South Park is, at times, excellent social satire. However, your logic here escapes me. If I hurl racial epithets at African Americans, the Chinese, the Vietnamese, Indians and heritage based epithets at the Irish, Italians and Polish...would it make me less of an ******* because I am an ******* to everybody? Seems wrong to me.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Various entertainment productions have been using satire and parody to rip all sorts of organizations/people for years, why was it not bad back then but it is now?

I can't bear trying to listen to South Park myself, but satire and parody have been valid forms of expression for a very long time and I see absolutely no reason to stop it now.

What's next? This guy running the world?

[​IMG]

12. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

You see, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".

13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

South Park is a very humorous satire. And I agree with above posts, that it isn't really hating on any religions. It makes fun of everything. All religions. All sides of politics. Pretty much any serious matter they play up and over exaggerate parts of it to make it seem silly.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I always felt that movie didnt get a fair shake, it was actually pretty funny and I loved Denis Leary's character in it.

a favorite Rant of mine from Dennis Miller from back in the day said it best.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]"We have seen the administration come out and say, 'We condemn anyone who denigrates religious faith.' And they come out in regards to this anti-Muslim film," Starnes said.[/rquoter]

No, we haven't seen that.

The person who used the word "condemn" did so independently. Those words were not sanctioned by the Obama administration as a whole.

Further, the specific quote was: "We condemn the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims". Condemning an effort to purposely insult an entire group of people is different from condemning "anyone who denigrates religious faith".

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you're an ******* to everyone, then what is there to be offended at?

Its like a comic who goes around the room hurling insults at everyone, versus a comic who picks on just one particular person or race of people in the room. Wouldn't you find the latter to be much more uncomfortable and more offensive?

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No, it makes you more of an ******* but less of a racist.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This is not a cartoon of Allah we are talking about. It's not about offending people as why this video should be condemned. It's because it was made with really nasty intent - it's pure hatred for a billion people. It is hate speech. It's not meant to entertain, it was made to manipulate and cause pain.

That isn't about free speech. It's about using the gift of free speech to do something despicable. And that is what should be condemned.

19. ILoveTheRockets

someone could make a short film about a white guy throwing bacon at arab people. and that would probably start just as bad of riots.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not only do you know that's not true, but you are also exposing yourself as stereotyping people based on how they reacted to one event - something that was designed to hurt people and provoke a reaction.