1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX]Can the Houston Rockets sign Kevin Durant next offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Aug 26, 2015.

1. jaychi

jaychi Member

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...rey-2016-offseason-free-agency-signing-082515

With Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant slated to hit free agency next offseason, there will be no shortage of teams lining up to try and sign him.
    But will the Houston Rockets, with two max players in James Harden and Dwight Howard, be able to enter the sweepstakes?
    Here's Greg Chin at Hoops Habit with more:
    Virtually every team has been linked with Durant, especially the contenders. The Houston Rockets are no exception – general manager Daryl Morey is one of the savviest general managers out there when it comes to matters of cap space. Despite having two max players on his payroll, the Rockets might have enough room to be a serious player in Durant’s free agency.
    Durant, who is eligible for a maximum contract worth 30 percent of the cap, could stand to earn up to $26.7 million in the first year of his new contract. The Rockets’ guaranteed contracts for next season add up to $76.36 million, which includes Dwight Howard’s $23.3 million player option, but does not reflect Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas’ qualifying offers. With that figure in mind, the Rockets will have $12.64 million in cap space, provided that the cap is $89 million.
    While the figure is quite short of Durant’s starting max, the Rockets could very easily dump contracts to create enough cap room where it then becomes fiscally plausible to sign Durant.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No chance.

But perhaps we can grab his twin brother Zevin Durant if we hope hard enough.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Who is Greg Chin and what is Hoops Habit?

Fox Sports needs better sauces.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Redundant title.

CAN they? Of course they CAN.

Will they? Whole other question.

5. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

im going to say no.

thats 3 max players. Who else is going to feel the 2 other spots and bench..

39 mil + 22 mil for durant = 61, and there cap is what 89? to me

Ariza,Brewer, Lawson trade for cap and 2 #1 draft picks...

WHo do you put around them at 28? Dmo would get probably 12 mil.. So

then thats 16 left. Bench would be horrid, and your regulars would suffer from mins. I dont know that Durant-Harden-Howard combo is so deadly, you probably wouldnt need a bench. Id go for it... for sure.. If you think those rookies you can bring in could contribute right off the bat.. You would have a 2-3 year window to get a champioship in 17, 18. who knows..

Howard - Capela, Rookie
    Dmo - Harrell, Rookie
    Durant - Dekker
    Harden - KjMcdaniels
    Beverly - Rookie

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

No.

Sources say Kevin Durant is offended they gave his number to Montrezl Harrell.
    Sources say that since half of Clutchfans believe James is leaving for LA in 3 years, Durant has no interest in joining/playing here.
    In before "He doesn't like Dwight" ... "He called Dwight a pu%#y!" ... "We don't need/want him."

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Durant is gonna go home and play with Washington

8. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Like i said in the other thread, only if Dwight opts out and either leaves or takes less. If Dwight opts in, no way.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It all depends on what happens to the cap and whether or not Durant wants to come to Houston. If he wants Houston, Morey is gonna do whatever it takes. If Durant wants the entire team to stay in tact, or at least the major players, then that might be out of our control.

I say we try to trade for him during the season so we're just re-upping. Even if that means trading Dwight.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Riveting article

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I really think we have a good shot of landing him.

We are undermining that Harden-Durant-Lawson relationship.

Also, I think he considers Texas more of a home than any other place. The guy has the best shot at winning a ring with us, and I think Dwight takes a paycut.

12. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Delusional?

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

My sig hasn't changed for a long time, no reason for it to change any time soon.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I', less concerned with Morey being able to make the money work than I am about Durant being fully healthy .... Morey could easily find a way to make it work cap wise and probably keep one of DMo / Jones.

Signing Durant would make Ariza / Brewer expendable .... assuming KJ is viable as a backup behind both Durant & Harden. That's better than 16m right there .... and may net you an asset or two in return.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

".....Yes we can ..."

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Fine with me. I want him here(provided his foot is ok), but if not, then I hope he goes East.

As for the Rockets being able to sign him, of course they will be. Morey would dump Ariza and Brewer in a heartbeat(like the Spurs did with Splitter) if the organization knew Durant wanted to come here.

17. basketballholic

Wouldn't it be nice if Dwight opted out and signed a 1-year deal for around $15 million?

Just say'n.

And now the avalanche of "It'll never happen" posts.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It wouldn't (won't?) be easy, regardless of what FOX thinks, but Daryl can Trump the other contenders without raising an eyebrow, finding a way if Durant wants to join his buddy James on a contender here in Houston, and if Kevin is healthy and has the desire, Mr. Morey will work his magic. Were that to happen, I'd party non-stop for a week. (At some point, if DD reads this, I'll paper your trees, dude. Be prepared!) Ain't easy in my current state of decrepitude, but I'll manage. How I hope we can land a healthy Durant!

Still, and with respect to the OP, my 8 year old "grand-nephew" could have written that blurb in his sleep. At least I think that's what you call your nephew's son. He's a grand kid, regardless, and loves basketball.

1 person likes this.
  19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Not saying that they will or won't sign Durant, but your calculation is off regarding D-Mo.

We wouldn't sign D-Mo until after we signed Durant so his $12M (using your number) wouldn't count against our cap space. His cap hold would count against our cap space at 250% of his salary or about $5.5M.

Once Durant was signed, then we'd be able to exceed the cap to sign D-Mo since we had his Bird Rights.

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

If Dwight opts in (assuming it isn't because he had some bad injury that saps his contribution greatly) then the Rockets still can easily make the numbers work. All they would have to do is release Lawson, trade Brewer or Ariza and McDaniels, and renouce rights to Jones or DMo. Obviously you do that in about 2.5 seconds, if Kevin Durant wants to sign. And then you still have a great starting lineup, plus Capela, Dekker, (hopefully) Harrell, and someone (ideally Lawson coming back) with the room exception. That is the best team in the NBA before considering the vets that would flock.

Give him $18-20M a year for 5, if he will take it, and that would be beyond nice.