1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forbes Ranked Every GM in Pro Sports-Dawson #95 out of 98

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EgRiFf08, Mar 5, 2007.

1. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

I was a bit surprised to see his name this low on the list, and I am not sure what would warrant such a low ranking. I cant believe Kevin McHale is considered the best GM in pro sports, wasnt this the same guy who lost 5 1st rounders because he was trying to sign Joe Smith under the table???
    Also even Isaiah Thomas (hes insane) is ranked before CD at #82. While I think Danny Ainge is underrated at #92 (Al Jefferson, Gerald Green and Delonte West will help him move up fast on this list) and Elgin Baylor (has put together one talented whole team, even though they havent won) was at #46, remember how bad the Clips used to be.
    Also, heres some opinons on other sports:
    No way Ozzie Newsome (Ravens GM) should be that low, the guy is known as a great talent evaluater, the guy did draft Ed Reed, Chris McAllister, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Jamal Lewis etc.
    Matt Millen (Lions GM) has to be the worst GM ever, #96 (right after CD) is not even close to being low enough
    Lou Lamerillo (Devils GM) in my opinion has to be the best GM in sports today, the guy had a dynasty for a few years, and puts forth a winning team every year without spending too much money
    Joe Dumars (Pistons GM) has created a little dynasty as well, and should be ahead of Billy King (76ers GM) what has he won?
    Scott Pioli (Patriots GM) is also underrated at #20, Patriots were a dynasty as well.
    Whats your thoughts and opinons on CD's ranking on this? Or general opinions on this list as well :)

2. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

sickening...

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Any analysis that has McHale ranked #1 is a waste of time.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

According to the article, they are comparing each GM's tenure to the performance of his team for the 3 years preceding his arrival, and indexing their improvement to winning percentages and containing payroll. I'm not sure that makes any sense, especially for long-tenured GMs who have gone through a couple of cycles of competitiveness. In any case, I think CD's score is dinged by the fact that the team was competitive before his arrival.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

that list is laughable

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

McHale #1 and Billy King #3.....my god.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just about to post that. WOW.

9. Northside Moss

...I think Forbes should stick to kissing rich ass or whatever they do down there.

That list is a joke.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Look guys, Scott Pioli and Bill Belichik are an OKAY GM'ing combo - but in terms of the way to run a team - they just don't hold a candle to Jerry Jones. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would love to see Hollinger or somebody who is mathematically skilled (at least more than me) destroy this article.

11. Northside Moss

...Someone needs to mail this list to KG. :eek:

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

The stats is messed up. The winning category is based on their performance vs. the final 3 years of their predecessors. McHale has an extremely high score because his predecessor ran the team to the ground. Any of you remember the Timberwolves before KG?

13. xiki

xiki Member

Exactly. Forbes blew this one big time.

14. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

you can't/shouldn't make a list of the best and worst GM's strictly based off statistics, it doesn't make sense.

Like what is so great about the Miami Heat GM. He got Shaq that's it (anyone could have made that trade). Riles put together the rest of the team which one 1 championship and looks destined to struggle for the next 2 or 3 years.

15. yobod

yobod Member

I honestly don't see what the point of the list was in the first place. How can you make a list like this, then subjectify it by stating that its a comparison of the current GM to the previous 3 years before his arrival? That automatically skews the findings to work completely to the advantage of a GM who came into a situation where the team was a bottom-feeder (a la Kevin McHale and the T-Wolves). Remember, Carroll Dawson came to a Rockets team that was a FORCE in the 80s....if John Lucas doesn't go down, we could have been a dynasty. It's pretty much a completely worthless list if you ask me. Why set it at 3 years? 3 years isn't even enough time to have an accurate assessment of the previous GM. IMHO, pretty dumb.

16. m_cable

m_cable Member

Forbes: The first and last word on sports analysis.

Next up, check out the Wall Street Journal's continuing series profiling the top WWE personalities.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Actually I think CD became an assistant coach right after the two championships which basically made it impossible for him to go any higher.

18. BigM

BigM Member

lol on kevin mchale. dude is closer to being fired then being anywhere near the top 100.

19. emjohn

emjohn Member

That Forbes list is atrocious, pure and simple. Say what you will about CD, he gets deals done and doesn't get screwed very often. That's what you want with a GM.

Billy Knight, Billy King, and McHale are among the worst GMs in the business.

They didn't appear to award championships or Finals appearances, which is insane.

Evan

20. professorjay

professorjay Member

Worst sports GM ranking lists:

1. Forbes
    2. High Times
    3. Dog Breeders Monthly