1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Forbes] A Map Of America's Future

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Behad, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I found this interesting. Job hunters may like it as well.

A Map Of America's Future: Where Growth Will Be Over The Next Decade

Excerpt regarding Houston:

Once a sleepy, semitropical backwater, the Third Coast, which stretches along the Gulf of Mexico from south Texas to western Florida, has come out of the recession stronger than virtually any other region. Since 2001, its job base has expanded 7%, and it is projected to grow another 18% the coming decade.

The energy industry and burgeoning trade with Latin America are powering the Third Coast, combined with a relatively low cost, business-friendly climate. By 2023 its capital–Houston–will be widely acknowledged as America’s next great global city. Many other cities across the Gulf, including New Orleans and Corpus Christi, are also major energy hubs. The Third Coast has a concentration of energy jobs five times the national rate, and those jobs have an average annual salary of $100,000, according to EMSI.

As the area gets wealthier, The Third Coast’s economy will continue to diversify. Houston, which is now the country’s most racially and ethnically diverse metro area, according to a recent Rice study, is home to the world’s largest medical center and has dethroned New York City as the nation’s leading exporter. Mobile, Ala., seems poised to become an industrial center and locus for trade with Latin America, and New Orleans has made a dramatic comeback as a cultural and business destination since Katrina.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Where is the map?

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I came for pictures and all I see are words. :(

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This is all you need to read:

5. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

where is the map?

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

post the map, n00b

7. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

My detective skills helped me find the map! i always thought Atlanta was closer to the coast.
    spoiler for size.
    [​IMG]

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Post smaller map with less words.

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Here is the map. Warning, very large. The best part is they put Dallas as part of a different region than us.

[​IMG]

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Third Coast - Pretty odd how they grouped everything from Corpus Christi to Tallahassee all in one bucket.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So Houston continues to be awesome with more awesome coming.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nowhere; they tricked us into reading a few paragraphs by promising us multi-page picture essays to maximize page hits. Mock traditional print media all you want, but at least they love discussing ideas and information more than monetizing.

13. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Not odd. They're talking about the Third Coast = Gulf Coast.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who cares about the map. Behad's bold text states that by 2023 Houston will finally take its rightful place as the capital of Texas. And our great mayor, Annise Parker, will have become the first US President from Rice

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

by the way -- I HATE the "third coast" name. It should be the "South Coast". Third indicates it's lower priority than the other two coasts...

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

well, it was the third one to form, due to the asteroid that took out the dinosaurs.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That map make Edward Tufte fall in faint.

It is god-awful as a piece of communication, even if the data are pretty interesting.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I just like the colors.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Houston will continue to thrive but it's not "overtaking" anyone. New York and Los Angeles really are too dynamic from a media and communications standpoint to not attract and cultivate local finance and banking sectors, and players in other major industries. They're also market-testing laboratories for all kinds of retail and mass media innovations just based on their size. I don't know a lot about Chicago.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is it just me or did they miss when they tried to put LA on the map? Dallas also looks a little off.